zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Merry Orcmas Everyone!

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Squig Themed Night Goblin Blog, Back in Action after 2.5 years!
ThwogTar
Posted: Jul 24 2010, 09:51 PM

Goblin
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,732

This is my first blog, so I hope it does not suck too bad. I decided to do one in order to motivate me to paint all my NGs. Well the theme is going to be squig based but I haven't really come up with any fluff or names yet. Hopefully I can get some input here.
The army isn't going to be fielded all at once, but designed to be a cohesive looking army with many different options for battle. It is a bunch of work and will take a lot of time, but hopefully this blog will keep me motivated. Well, for an over view of what is to come (with more to add later)...

-Night Goblins from BFSP (only NG units nothing else)
-2 Night Goblin War bosses on Giant squigs
-6 Night Goblin Bosses
-4 Night Goblin Shamans
-1 Skarsnik (Gotts ta havem' even with 8th)
-20 wolf riders (NG and Squig conversion)
-1 Wolf chariot (Scratch built with NG and Squig conversion)
-2 spear chuckas (Scratch built with NG)
-2 Rock lobbas (scratch built NG and Squig)
-1 doom diver (NG coversion)
-4 Bases Snotlings (Imitate NG conversion)
-100 Night goblins
-9 Fanatics

I got alot of Ideas form around DaWarpath and other sites.. Don't remember from who, but thanks for the inspiration.

For now I have based the Spearmen, Archers, Shaman, and Dagskar from BFSP. They have all been primed with cheap black spray paint (97 cents) and I have put down two different base colors. I like to have a little variation in the colors of the skin.

These are the paints I used. I watered them down about 1/3 paint and 2/3 water. Using three coats to cover.
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
My Shaman on a shroom made from sclupey.
user posted image
Sorry bad pic but you can see the small shroom.
user posted image

This post has been edited by ThwogTar on Apr 19 2013, 02:42 PM
Paiant Slapah
Posted: Jul 24 2010, 10:12 PM

Big Boss
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,721

Good start on the Night Goblins. I like the shaman on mushroom. Now quit admiring what you done so far and get busy finishing 'em! wink.gif

Craze_b0i
Posted: Jul 24 2010, 10:35 PM

Warboss
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,714

Good luck with the blog! I look forward to seeing the finished Ngs especially, the ones in Teddy Bear Brown. biggrin.gif
ThwogTar
Posted: Jul 25 2010, 01:00 PM

Goblin
Group Icon

I am going to my lake house for a couple of days and hope to get the next layer of skin done by the time I come back. Should have pics posted by Wednesday.
Bidiot Dwarf Stomper
Posted: Jul 26 2010, 05:49 AM

Up to No Good!!
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 4,008

Great to see you started a blog mate, there is nothing better to document how things are going and to motivate you to get moving. smile.gif

Love the shroom you created and can't wait to see your army take shape. smile.gif

Bidiot. biggrin.gif
ThwogTar
Posted: Jul 28 2010, 06:23 PM

Goblin
Group Icon

Okay. I managed to find time to put the second coat on these things. I used the same ratio as before for water to paint, but only put one coat. The olive is over the teddy bear brown and the Grass green over the green Meadow.

Paints...
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
ThwogTar
Posted: Jul 28 2010, 08:00 PM

Goblin
Group Icon

Edited my first post to give everyone an idea of what I was trying to accomplish. As time goes on I would appreciate any input on a back story and/or names for units. Thanks smile.gif

Just to let You guys know. Don't worry, I am not going to post up for every layer of paint. By my next post all of the skin should be done highlights and all. Hopefully that's up by Monday, but more likely Thursday...

This post has been edited by ThwogTar on Jul 28 2010, 08:08 PM
Craze_b0i
Posted: Jul 28 2010, 08:37 PM

Warboss
Group Icon

I don't like to give negative feedback, especially since I am not a brilliant painter myself. But I'm not sure about putting green over brown, looks a bit odd at the moment. Maybe it will turn out ok I dunno... but that was my initial impression. The other unit looks fine.
ThwogTar
Posted: Jul 28 2010, 08:44 PM

Goblin
Group Icon

Yeah, It does look weird but the end product is more like this...
user posted image I posted this up a while back for feed back. But this is generally going to be the painting theme for everything (with some yellow hoods and different patterns). I Really liked the way everything looked in WAR. So that is a big influence for my painting and conversion style.

This post has been edited by ThwogTar on Jul 28 2010, 09:19 PM
Craze_b0i
Posted: Jul 29 2010, 11:21 AM

Warboss
Group Icon

I agree that the end one looks quite good. On the intermediate stage it looked a bit odd... but you obviously know what you are doing so pls carry on and take no notice of my comments. smile.gif
ThwogTar
Posted: Jul 29 2010, 10:21 PM

Goblin
Group Icon

I am always glad to hear comments. Please keep them coming! smile.gif
The reason I do the brown is that in person you can see the brown crevices in the hands and face and I think it adds a subtle contrasting layer.
ThwogTar
Posted: Jul 29 2010, 10:26 PM

Goblin
Group Icon

For the chariot, doom diver, and lobber, I had the idea to make them from scratch because I thought it would be cool to use bones instead of wood. I was going to use bone for everything, virtually no wood on any model. I thought it would be unique, and fit the NG style. I think that if you lived in caves there wouldn't be too much wood down there. While tunneling about they might encounter bones and such, or possibly spoils of war. What does everyone think? Good Idea/Bad Idea?
Snikpik
Posted: Jul 30 2010, 09:09 AM

Warboss
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 5,376

It could be good. Atleast it will be noval and different from every one elses and thats not something to scoff at.
ThwogTar
Posted: Jul 31 2010, 01:42 AM

Goblin
Group Icon

I decided to make Dagskar ( he will just be a unit champion) a little different but I still haven't figured out how to use green stuff or milliput. I sculpt very well with clay (I use my hands and less tools) but using putty is so different it sticks to everything. But here he is. Let me know what you think smile.gif
user posted image

At another look he kind of looks more like a standard bearer...huh...maybe I should trim down the weapon a bit.

This post has been edited by ThwogTar on Jul 31 2010, 01:44 AM
Snikpik
Posted: Jul 31 2010, 05:51 AM

Warboss
Group Icon

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 5,376

I presumed he was a standard bearer until I read your post. Can't you keep it as a standard bearer ? With Green stuff, make sure you wet your tools before they touch the green stuff, that way it wont stick to them. YOu have to keep them wet all the time.

This post has been edited by Snikpik on Jul 31 2010, 05:52 AM
« Next Oldest | Army Blogs | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (3) [1] 2 3 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1071 seconds | Archive