InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Da Warpath. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Newz: Da Warpath's 8th Conversion Competition: Rank and File Edition - ENTER HERE!

How Many Warmachines Is Too Many?
Headhoppa
Posted: Oct 21 2010, 04:24 PM

Snotling

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,369

Playing in an escalation league at my local store and I'm torn between 2 lists. First step is 1000 points. One list has a kitted out BoWB with 2+/4+, A level 2 gobbo shammy in a chariot, 2 blocks of NG with some fanatics, 1 bigger block of orc boys, and a chariot. The other list drops the shammy and chariots and brings 2 doom divers, a rock lobba and 2 spear chukkas. Everything else is essentially the same. Am I bringin the cheese with that many warmachines???

Regards,
Headhoppa

Edit: Magic hasn't been a problem in the 2 games I have played so far. One guy brought a WoC Troll army and the other guy was empire.

This post has been edited by Headhoppa on Oct 21 2010, 04:26 PM
Groznit Goregut
Posted: Oct 21 2010, 05:27 PM

Waaagh!
Group Icon

Group: Veterans
Member No.: 2,381

Five war machines in a 1000 pt list? I think that might be excessive. Not only that, but perhaps unnecessary? I'd rather have more units.
Headhoppa
Posted: Oct 21 2010, 07:32 PM

Snotling

So dump the bolt throwers and get another unit of NG's with std and musician?
Gramnir
Posted: Oct 21 2010, 07:56 PM

Da Stuntie

Member No.: 5,433

yeah, chukkas are ok, but not all that awesome. 2 doomdivers might be a bit much at 1000 pts, maybe change one for a rock lobba, thats more effective against large units of core infantry (a lot of template hits) and does about the same to a big monster (under the hole). doom divers are better against elite units, and especially heavily armoured stuff like chaos knights.

But basicly my advice is to go with what you think would be most fun to play with.

Id say 3 blocks should be plenty at 1000, 2 big blocks might do it, then something that hits hard to do the kills (either ranged or hammer units like trolls, savageorcs w 2 choppas, chariots, list goes on happy.gif )

This post has been edited by Gramnir on Oct 21 2010, 07:56 PM
SnotMuncha
Posted: Oct 22 2010, 01:07 AM

Goblin

Member No.: 3,791

I find a one of the best unit in a 1k game is 3x squigherd (90pt) good because the are ITP and have strength attacks. Maybe take the shammy out of the chariot. Smart players will have scouts or something that could whip around the flanks and take out all those warmachines. What will you use for something fast to threaten in the early part of the game?
Headhoppa
Posted: Oct 22 2010, 11:56 AM

Snotling

No squig herds in my collection so they are out of the question. Usually my warmachine protection comes in the form of a 20 strong unit of NG bowman with fanatics. Spread them out in a line or a block as terrain/deployment dictate. As far as early threat, the local game scene so far isn't that scary but I haven't faced the nasty WoC player yet. Played a 1500 pt game against HE last night and pretty much all my machines flubbed or misfired but the 2 chariots and characters chewed through his only tough unit of seaguard. He had 2 units of fast cav but they didn't do anything interesting except eat some fanatics. All in all I was pleased with the three infantry units and warmachines so I think I'll stick with them and fill in the rest as needed with chariots because they are smashy =) Thanks for the input!!

Regards,
Headhoppa
Arfa
Posted: Oct 22 2010, 02:03 PM

Da Warpath's resident mad scientist of conversions
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,092

Wow, I consider 5 warmachines too many in 2250pts, let alone 1000pts! Drop a doom diver and the chukkaz for some more men dude, or some trolls.

Arfa da Grate
theorox
Posted: Oct 22 2010, 02:04 PM

Decidedly Average
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,753

A good rule of thumb (i think) is max 1 Warmachine per 500 points of the army. So a 1500 point army can have 3 WM's. (you can have 2 Spearchukkas count as one WM though.) smile.gif

Theo

This post has been edited by theorox on Oct 27 2010, 07:46 AM
brownstar
Posted: Oct 24 2010, 03:13 PM

Snotling

Member No.: 5,719

Lvl 2 shamans don't get chariots as a mount choice.
Arfa
Posted: Oct 24 2010, 03:24 PM

Da Warpath's resident mad scientist of conversions
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,092

QUOTE (brownstar @ Oct 25 2010, 02:13 AM)
Lvl 2 shamans don't get chariots as a mount choice.

Goblin ones do, just not Orc ones smile.gif

Arfa
« Next Oldest | Tactics | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0791 seconds | Archive