Create a free forum in seconds.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Mp2d. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (27) « First ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyStart New TopicStart New Poll

Metroid: Net Mission, Multiplayer 2-D Metroid game
Zurginator
Posted: Mar 17 2012, 09:50 PM

Guestinator the Guestinator

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,047

QUOTE (Umbre @ Mar 17 2012, 06:58 PM)
QUOTE (Zurginator @ Mar 17 2012, 06:22 PM)
Of course, I was simply theorizing... It wouldn't be METROID without doors. icon_razz.gif

Fixed that for you. icon_razz.gif

I would argue that Metroid could evolve to a doorless system, similar to it's 2D to 3D transition. Done properly it would work, and be more immersive due to the lack of random doors in caves. Done bad, and it would.... well, can removal of doors be bad? I guess if ALL doors were removed, but random doors in caves could be done without.

Prime on the other hand already had doors, and thus they must remain.
Troid92
Posted: Mar 30 2012, 07:48 AM

Music God / Temp Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 19

I sometimes take 20 minutes off now and then to make a tiny improvement to my engine. Tonight, I added a loading screen when you first boot up the engine.
user posted image
(Those circles revolve quickly around the center)
You'll probably never see it (only appears after 2 seconds if you're still loading the first scene for some reason), but it's better than starting up the first room before everything was even loaded (which it was doing before -- looked like a web-page loading)

--------------------
user posted image
MIDI-maker / Fangame Programmer
Yay red text.
Umbre
Posted: Mar 30 2012, 11:23 PM

Ritalin is fun!
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 494

For some reason I was expecting the loading screen to animate and then load up the game...

--------------------
user posted image
Troid92
Posted: Mar 31 2012, 06:55 AM

Music God / Temp Admin
Group Icon

YouTube has trained you well.

--------------------
user posted image
Yay red text.
Troid92
Posted: Apr 6 2012, 03:35 AM

Music God / Temp Admin
Group Icon

user posted image
Except the code for fonts is old and buggy. I wrote it back when I had no clue what I was doing. I'll want to clean it up as soon as I can. All I've done here is import it into the new resource managing system.

--------------------
user posted image
Yay red text.
Pomegranate
Posted: May 6 2012, 04:59 AM

Prime Essence

Group: MP2D Team
Member No.: 690

I like this background loading idea. Too many games have been spoiled by bad loading screen placements. D:

--------------------
user posted image
Does anyone else think this screen-cap is incredibly hilarious? He's like "RAWR!" but he looks so ridiculous it's hard to keep a straight face.
Troid92
Posted: May 31 2012, 06:13 AM

Music God / Temp Admin
Group Icon

Hiya. I now have time to work on this engine again. This summer I want to turn it into something I can put on a resume. I'm not sure what that means yet, but that's my goal.

Mostly done revamping the text system. It was really really bad code that I wrote ages ago and never finished. Now it's faster, cleaner, and has more features. Also, we now have an official NetMission font thanks to Metroid_Zapper who based it on DeveloperZero's old logo (which you may have seen in people's sig images in the past).

Up next, I'll do the same revamping thing with my old audio system.

--------------------
user posted image
Yay red text.
Troid92
Posted: Jun 4 2012, 05:57 AM

Music God / Temp Admin
Group Icon

It's hard to show audio progress using pictures. So I'll just explain for now:

Audio revamping, day 1: (two days ago)
Researched other possible audio libraries. Decided to stay with OpenAL.
Got my old, incomplete audio system running again. Needs a lot of work.

Audio revamping, day 2: (yesterday)
Refreshed my memory on how OpenAL works, and what varies between devices.
Planned out the entire audio interface for the game scripts.
There will be more functionality than you'll ever need. I'm excited. Just wait and see.

Audio revamping, day 3: (today)
Lots of refactoring, rewriting, revising, and more planning/thinking.
Got the core finished, but quite a bit of work left.

In other news, I made this in the renovated text system:
user posted image
I have discovered that pixel-thin fonts are not meant to be rotated. Oops.

--------------------
user posted image
Yay red text.
Pomegranate
Posted: Jun 4 2012, 08:07 AM

Prime Essence

Group: MP2D Team
Member No.: 690

OpenAL should be fine. It fits nicely with OpenGL and supports a lot of features. If you're not going to go with DirectX, OpenGL is the way to go. OpenGL > DirectX anyway.

--------------------
user posted image
Does anyone else think this screen-cap is incredibly hilarious? He's like "RAWR!" but he looks so ridiculous it's hard to keep a straight face.
Zurginator
Posted: Jun 4 2012, 09:08 PM

Guestinator the Guestinator

Member No.: 1,047

QUOTE (Pomegranate @ Jun 4 2012, 08:07 AM)
OpenAL should be fine. It fits nicely with OpenGL and supports a lot of features. If you're not going to go with DirectX, OpenGL is the way to go. OpenGL > DirectX anyway.

Eh, DX has a lot more post-fx options.... and OpenGL sucks on AMD gpus.
Troid92
Posted: Jun 5 2012, 07:47 AM

Music God / Temp Admin
Group Icon

This engine is going to be cross-platform, so DirectX isn't an option. icon_razz.gif
In other news... I finished sounds today! No reverb or music yet though.
I'll release a demo app once I've finished the rest of the initial features.

Next day edit:
Got sound environments working! These are basically reverb effects that you can give to a sound. This video is a perfect example because it's exactly the same technology I'm using (EAX -- go ahead and search other examples on YouTube), although they've boosted the effect dramatically so that you can hear it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30fTc5t5QNU
If you're concerned that the dozens of values that define a reverb effect would make sound environments too complicated, and you wouldn't want to be the one adding them into the game, fear not! There's a public domain, massive set of preset environments that I've included, which has pretty much everything you could think of, such as a bathroom, cave, stone room, quarry, long castle passage, factory courtyard, empty stadium, drugged (lols), psychotic (lols), sports commentator, driving tunnel, even as specific as ice palace cupboard, to name just a few.

--------------------
user posted image
Yay red text.
Troid92
Posted: Jun 9 2012, 04:37 AM

Music God / Temp Admin
Group Icon

Still in progress but I got the basics of music working.

There's a "playlist"-like system where you can put several tracks together (seamlessly), and have it loop either the final track or all of the tracks (or no loop). This allows for the intro+loop paradigm found in most games.

You can have multiple playlists playing at the same time, which allows you to overlap your fade from one piece to another, or switch between variations of a piece (like in 3-D Zelda games where the instrumentation changes depending on what you're doing), and whatever else you can come up with in this system.

And you can also apply the same effects to playlists that you can to sounds, so things like pitch, volume, reverb, filtering, positioning, etc., although most of these are pretty unnecessary for music.

I still have a lot of testing to do on music (all I've done so far is stress-tested playing music at up to 60x speed), and then I want to add some basic multithreading to the audio system as a whole, and then I have to hook it up to the new resource manager system, and then I have to plug in the script interface, and then I have to do even more testing... icon_sweat.gif

But I'm at the point now where I can make a console demo that shows off the audio effects. Do you guys have any requests? Maybe I'll just find public domain sounds and set up a fake warzone "audio movie" or something.

--------------------
user posted image
Yay red text.
Troid92
Posted: Jun 15 2012, 05:28 AM

Music God / Temp Admin
Group Icon

I'm sorry that this has been so boring to read lately but it's hard to convey audio updates with pictures.

The latest:
1. More control over available audio devices.
2. Music fully featured now (even streaming from the same file more than once simultaneously -- dunno why you'd ever do this.)
3. Fairly thread-safe. Soon to actually use multiple threads. (Meaning background loading/unloading, etc.).
4. Smart garbage collection (because unlike other resources, a sound shouldn't unload immediately between rooms, or else it'll stop playing and sound bad)

--------------------
user posted image
Yay red text.
Candy Man Criminal
Posted: Jun 15 2012, 01:50 PM

Metroid Prime

Member No.: 1,101

troid: so jesus on stilts that his stilts have stilts

--------------------
QUOTE (Timmeh)
troid is jesus on stilts

Phlakes
Posted: Jun 15 2012, 03:07 PM

Omega Pirate

Member No.: 1,201

QUOTE (Troid92 @ Jun 14 2012, 11:28 PM)
I'm sorry that this has been so boring to read lately but it's hard to convey audio updates with pictures.

It's not boring. It's watching God create the universe.

--------------------
user posted image

Figured I'd steal a cruise ship
Sail it off a waterfall while covered in gold paint
Handstanding next to a mariachi band
On fire
« Next Oldest | Fangames | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic OptionsPages: (27) « First ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... Last » Add ReplyStart New TopicStart New Poll

Go to IRC Room

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1041 seconds | Archive
free hit counter
free hit counter