InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Hxrv2. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Global Warming, Fact or Myth?
Dove Stonewood
Posted: Feb 23 2008, 04:59 PM

Not a Credit to thy Name

Group: Members
Member No.: 32

((This might turn into a political issue fast, so I'm separating this post from the main details of my own. Disclaimer of sorts ^^.

PLEASE DON'T MAKE THIS POLITICAL.
ADDRESS IT AS YOU WOULD ANY OTHER ISSUE.

))

--------------------
tick tock tick tock
BOOM
playing Cieon, will be coming back sometime this summer. <3 you all.
Dove Stonewood
Posted: Feb 23 2008, 05:13 PM

Not a Credit to thy Name

GLOBAL WARMING IS UNTRUE

Reasons Why:

Independently researching, I found out a few things about Mr. Gore's Documentary, the 'Official' guide to Global Warming, to be false.

-The film claims a study showed that polar bears had drowned due to disappearing Arctic ice. The court ruled that Gore misread the study. The four polar bears drowned during a particularly violent storm, not because of global warming.

-The film predicts that global warming could stop the Gulf Stream, throwing Europe into another ice age. This may have been the plot of a movie, but the court ruled there is no scientific evidence for the theory.

-The film claims that rising sea levels has caused the evacuation of certain Pacific islands to New Zealand. The government’s expert could not substantiate this. The court observed that this appears to be a false claim.

In -my- own classroom, we were shown "An Inconvenient Truth", they given a worksheet to fill out about the "facts" in the movie. I refused to do this, as I had known that these were false facts. The assignment was turned in with a stapled copy of the articles that showed otherwise.

The movie was removed from Science class curriculum, and we were given my articles as the 'other side of the story'.

((I -have- met Mr. Gore as a person, and other than what I mentioned above, I believe that he is a nice person trying to 'fix' something that he believes is a problem. This is not an attack on him.))

Site One

Site Two (PG)

GLOBAL WARMING DOES EXIST

Reasons Why:

The temperature is changing, the ice is melting, ect.

-Ish full of epic fail, refers you to this site.-
(If someone could type up something for me, as I can't really say anything without messing it up, Minty would like that.)

--------------------
tick tock tick tock
BOOM
Zevi
Posted: Feb 23 2008, 05:22 PM

Not a Credit to thy Name

Member No.: 41

I /also/ find Global Warming to be false.

Reasons I have found:

Note the fact that the earth has gone through periods of extreame heat and extreame cold. It is a natural cycle, one that would happen even if we didn't have cars.

Another reason is, it is getting COLDER, not warmer. Please tell me why it snowed in southern Louisiana a few weeks ago, if its getting hotter...

Also note that there are these things called Hurricanes, Tsuminis, and Typhoons. These occur when there is a disturbance in the atomoshpere, they occur to fix this imbalance. There hasn't been any in a few years. Not here anyway, I was hit by both Rita and Katrina, and they seemed to have cleaned it up some.

Oh yeah, you know the Auorua? Its an explosion of Light Energy that happens about five miles above the earth. If there was no hole in the Ozone, it would explode closer to us. Oh yeah, its explosion is like that of an atomic bomb.

I'll look up sources in a minute.

--------------------
user posted image
There's someone in my head but it's not me.
Uzag
Posted: Feb 23 2008, 06:23 PM

>8I

Member No.: 46

Global Warming is a fact imo. I’m studying conservation and this global, irreversible (speaking in “short” terms) issue is one of our greatest concerns.
I’m greatly troubled that media shows you fake or askew information, making other information un-trustable. Often media bring forth thouse extreame, almost fictional scenarious.
I’m taking this information out of my head but I can try to find resources if it’s wanted. Also, I’m from Sweden so I’m not sure 100% on the terms here. I’m also tried and it’s late here... so I'm not typing well.

It’s true that earth temperature is going up and down, but the increase that is going on now is extreme.
Here’s a good curve that illustrates this; http://www.klimanotizen.de/assets/images/2...tick_IPCC_1.gif
(there is a better one that I couldn’t find which include how long time it took when the warmth changed during the ice ages compared to this increase that is going on).
The change that is happening now is unnaturally fast and it happened exactly at the industrialism. A convencidence? Maybe, but I personally doubt it.
Ice ages and stuff happen, but not during 50 years. Organims doesn't evolve and adapt at this speed.
And let’s say the heating is natural... we still have huge problem, we have ruined so much natural habitat that the earths species can’t migrate anyway.

Whether varies, like Xevi said it was cold in Louisiana. However, it was this year, it doesn’t mean it’s getting colder on the whole.
Whether is also local, just because the climate is getting warmer, it maybe won't get warm in all places. Some places could be colder for what I know. For example, the heating seam to be more intensive at the poles then other places.
In Sweden, we have have started to get storms, cold summers, warm winters and lots of rains. The ice melts earlier then usually. This could also be temporary shiftinging in the wether but it has been on-going for years now so I'm sceptic.

Carbon dioxide seam to be one of the greatest cause. We’re realising it trough burning oil but another, but another great issue is the deforestation. Plants bind earths carbon dioxide, but we have chopped down a huge amount of our forests.
Carbon dioxide is just one among many gases that causes the green house effect, metan is another one... this has also greatly increased lately. Where is comes from? Our meat-animals anus. Seriously. We rise such great amounts of cows that it do affects.
(I’m mention this because media tend to only focus on the oil part but this isn't the only cause at all).
Silver
Posted: Feb 23 2008, 06:37 PM

[color=#c0c0c0]

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Zevi @ Feb 23 2008, 05:22 PM)
Another reason is, it is getting COLDER, not warmer. Please tell me why it snowed in southern Louisiana a few weeks ago, if its getting hotter...

Also note that there are these things called Hurricanes, Tsuminis, and Typhoons. These occur when there is a disturbance in the atomoshpere, they occur to fix this imbalance. There hasn't been any in a few years. Not here anyway, I was hit by both Rita and Katrina, and they seemed to have cleaned it up some.

'Global Warming' is a term that emcompases all global changes brought on by huiman influence. Your statement that the world is getting 'colder' actually shows a LARGE amount of ignorance on your part. Therefore, I'm much less inclined to believe you.

The changes, including hurricanes, and more storms, and colder/hotter /more dramatic changes in weather IS global warming. And, there's nothing you could EVER say that could make the fact that weather is getting more violent not true... It IS. Period.

I took a whole class on this. And until the rest of you do, I don't want to even START to argue with you about it.

And even if you don't beleive that the earth is warming because of us... Respect the fact that is IS warming, and that humans ARE doing BAD stuff to it.

We are ruining the earth. Whether it be by warming it, trashing it, or killing it. The earth is DYING, and humans are at direct fault.

I'm going to school for this. "Environmental Engineering"... AKA "Fix the planet science"...

--------------------
user posted image
In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.
Zevi
Posted: Feb 23 2008, 07:04 PM

Not a Credit to thy Name

Member No.: 41

I have one thing to say, Warming means getting hotter. The term I AGREE with is "Global Climate Change"....Which involves the environment CHANGING not getting WARMER. I've had this debate with many a person.

Okay, two things to say. Also, the earth has been here for millions of years(longer than humans for sure), she can take care of herself. If it is getting hotter and we all get killed, big whoop, more intelligent creatures will be formed. The only reason we are trying to fix it is cause WE humans want to live...Earth will go away when she does, that's that.

I know we are speeding it up, but it was gonna happen, we can only slow it down, we can't reverse the damage we have done...

And I'd take classes if my school had them..But its doesn't...

EDIT: Didn't it snow in Iraq?

--------------------
user posted image
There's someone in my head but it's not me.
Silver
Posted: Feb 23 2008, 07:11 PM

[color=#c0c0c0]

Zevi... the whole PLANET is getting hotter. Just because a place is colder in one spot, doesn't mean JACK. It's hotter GLOBALLY by ALARMING rates.

And humans are single-handedly killing the planet. Period. We're doing stuff we just shouldn't do. PERIOD. Yea, teh earth's been here before us... but NOTHING had such an impact on the earth as us. The dinosaurs, in ALL their living, didn't put as much of a dent as humans did in the year 2000 ALONE.

--------------------
user posted image
Dove Stonewood
Posted: Feb 23 2008, 10:05 PM

Not a Credit to thy Name

"The film suggests that evidence from ice cores proves that rising CO2 causes temperature increases over 650,000 years. The judge ruled that the film was misleading; over that period the rises in CO2 lagged behind the temperature rises by at least 800 to 2,000 years."

Silver, if we look at the Christian view of this, not getting religious, it's all set up to happen this way.

Another was to look at this is that humans have become bad for the world, and like cells in a body, the Earth is simply getting rid of unneeded things.

I had a summer program about this as well. We did experiments about these things mentioned, and we had many debates about the causes.

EVEN IF AMERICA reformed, we'd still be doomed.

Why?
Countries like China and Russia have the bulk of the greenhouse gas production.

--------------------
tick tock tick tock
BOOM
Everlyn
Posted: Feb 23 2008, 10:30 PM

Upper Class

Member No.: 38

QUOTE (Dove Stonewood @ Feb 23 2008, 10:05 PM)
Countries like China and Russia have the bulk of the greenhouse gas production.

Actually, they produce less then us - we'd talked about it in Science last year. And he illustrated it with cake, lol... But that's a story for another time.

I have nothing else to add here. xD

*scurries*

--------------------
user posted image
Rain in your heart - the tears of snow-white sorrow,
Caress the one, the hiding
amaranth
In a land of the daybreak!
Silver
Posted: Feb 23 2008, 10:38 PM

[color=#c0c0c0]

You can't base EVERY theory on Global warming on "An inconvienient truth" Minty. Okay... so maybe Gore's not 100% right.

MAYBE all the OTHER scientists who say it's true have at least SOME basis here?

I read a study that said more than like... 90% of scientists believe Global warming to be truth. Al Gore aside.

--------------------
user posted image
Spirit
Posted: Feb 23 2008, 10:41 PM

Upper Class

Member No.: 2

*chuckles a little*

No... Global Warming is 100% true...
In fact, it's MORE than 100% true..
But here's where people get confused.....

Humans did not cause global warming, nor are they greatly effecting it.
You see - the world used to be a LOT hotter than it is now.. Then, we went through an ice age.

Then, it got "warm" again (but not hot).. Then, we had another ice age..
The ice age -started- to end just about the time the dark ages started..

Darlings - we are just NOW coming OUT of the last ice-age, and the world is going back to it's "normal" temperature.. thus, global warming..

Pretty soon (1000 years or so), the world is going to go back to it's peak (again).. which is damned hot. You remember when the mid-west was under the ocean? Yeah, it's going to happen.. and it's perfectly natural.

Lucky for us, we won't be alive to see it, eh?

Global warming is real - it's just the cycle of the earth, and it is happening, and it is not able to be stopped. Sorry folks. ^.^

EDIT:
Also, don't believe the first thing you hear..
You know those toothpaste commercials? "4 out of 5 dentists recommend..." ..?
Yeah.. they give you "cold hard" statistics, right? That's because they only asked Dentists they knew would recomend their toothbrush...

Almost all statistics (that are one-sided) are bullshit.. They are FACT, that is true - but they are fact, with little bits left out..

If you test people in a PRISON for violence, chances are that 95% of all americans will be violent... and so, the company that wants to convince you that americans are violent will test - give you that result.. and it's TRUE.. Stretched, but true (and legal, too)...

Don't always believe the first thing you year.. people make a whole living out of doing research, and the best research is done if you research all three sides (the two opposites, and the third option that has nothing to do with either)... People make a whole living out of research, so don't just take the first one.

--------------------
Silver
Posted: Feb 23 2008, 10:55 PM

[color=#c0c0c0]

Global warming will happen. It, however, isn't even something we should worry that much about.

Pollution, and Deforstation, and extinction of species...

That's what I'm worried about. Humans screwing things up.

No more water, for it;ll all be too polluted to drink.

1/5 people in NorthWest Indiana (where I live) die of lung disease, because the air quality here is worst in the country.

All statistics aside... we really need to do something about the deterioration of the planet before it kills us all... or our children... or whatever.

--------------------
user posted image
Shevaru
Posted: Mar 5 2008, 03:06 PM

is plotting.

Member No.: 75

I'm still undecided on the global warming issue. I don't know if, as Spirit says, it's a natural extension of the warming and cooling cycles of the earth, or if it's caused by us and our CO2 fumes, or if it's something else altogether. However, what I do know is that the argument you make, and specifically the two articles you choose to cite, make it very difficult to take your point seriously. Those two articles (especially the first one), are so incredibly biased that I could hardly stand to read them. The first one uses sarcastic, condescending language, cites no scientific sources, and is talking about a court case and what the judge 'found.' It quotes no respected scientists, and includes no scientific information whatsoever. It's an editorial, and opinion piece. I know editorials; my dad's an editor and he writes them weekly. The whole point is that you're looking at current events through the lens of your own opinions and perspectives. Which is fine, in and of itself, but is in no way a valid source to support any debate, whatever the topic. I mean, he uses the phrase "La La Land," for pete's sake. The writer's bias wasn't palpable so much as glaring, blatant and (to me) vaguely offensive.

Show me scientific articles, actual data, or something written by an environmental or atmospheric scientist, and then I'll take you seriously. Don't show me right-wing hot air (or left wing, or center, or whatever). Some random person's obnoxious, condescending snark won't sway me.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
Posted: Mar 7 2008, 06:45 PM

Unregistered

Whether or not global warming is true, (And I happen to believe it is) The earth is STILL in danger of pollution,a dn we need to fix that. We all belive in pollution right? Who's to say that global warming isn't the same? And the really scary fact? Earth goes through hotter and colder cycles. These last few happen to be hotter. Places up north have gotten less snow then in former years, and the ploar ice caps ARE melting a bit.

That's not too scary, you might think. But here's the catch.

This should be a colder cycle.
Ravenheart
Posted: May 18 2008, 10:21 AM

Lower Class

Member No.: 255

QUOTE (Zevi @ Feb 23 2008, 05:22 PM)
I /also/ find Global Warming to be false.

Reasons I have found:

Note the fact that the earth has gone through periods of extreame heat and extreame cold. It is a natural cycle, one that would happen even if we didn't have cars.

It may be natural that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Global warming is just what it says it is, the globe getting warmer. Whether it is natural or human caused has nothing to do with whether it exists.
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Skinned by Count Paquin of the IF Skin Zone

Word count script provided by JavaScript Kit

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1342 seconds | Archive

Cbox Rules
No Cursing, No Spamming, No Harassment, No Chatspeak.
If you're upsetting other members - stop.
Read this before posting in the Cbox!

Attention! - This Cbox is new, please re-register your name!