zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to House Fans. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

AS: Auditrix, Second Spotlight. 3/31/05
rtlemurs
Posted: Mar 30 2005, 11:34 PM

Ruler of the Ficdom!

Group: Ruler of the Ficdom!
Member No.: 3

Two weeks have past and that means it time once again to take a closer look at one of the many talented writers that call House T&M home. This time around we have a first timer.

Auditrix was chosen as our next author to spotlight because I found her writing and the blog idea so intriguing that I just had to find out more.

Aud is a stay-at-home mom that lives near Washington DC. Before becoming a parasite rancher (as much as I’d like to take credit for that, they’re her words!) she worked as a registered nurse.

She started in bedside nursing and worked that for 4 years before switching to auditing patient’s bills.

In an alternate universe she majored in English and Classics and probably taught for little while but hopes that she ended up parasite ranching there too.

House is the first TV show since “Twin Peaks” that she has cared this much about and the first she has ever written a fanfic for.

For those of you unfamiliar with Aud’s work she has one fic here and two ongoing blogs (Links are in her signature and are included below). **New Fic added 4/1/05**

Her first fic posted here has the unique distinction of actually predicting one of the little surprises the writers of House finally revealed to us several weeks back in “Detox”. Here is an excerpt from “Loyalties”

Colorado. Oh, yeah, Greg would really go for that, Wilson thought. He could look out the window and watch all the skiers, and think about the skis he’d used to own. And then he could slip and fall on the ice and break his shoulder or his hip! That would really help him kick the habit! Wilson knew Cuddy meant well, but he really hated it when she started on this tangent, and he could see why the topic angered Greg so much. Greg had tried the program in Philly, years ago, but had checked out early. Wilson could still remember the unbearable tension in the car as he’d driven Greg home. He’d pushed the seat all the way back so Greg could stretch out his leg, and Greg rode the whole way in silence, twisted towards the window, his hand knotted in his hair, his mouth pinched, his eyes focused on something Wilson couldn’t see. He’d never told Wilson what happened, but Wilson had never forgotten the fury and humiliation that shrouded Greg’s eyes that horrible afternoon

And here's what some of our members had to say about 'Loyalties'

Ooooo you bad girl!!!!! Talk about springing suprises!!!! Green tie and all. WOW. Very cool. Okay, I'm ready for more..... please tell me there's more?! Gotta go read that again!! rtlemurs

Very intriguing... Good work, Auditrix! :-) Yeah, the way I read this, it definitely sounded like Wilson and Cuddy had something going on... Hmmm... LOL Why do I think this whole 'bet' is going to fall under "the best laid plans o' mice and men gang aft agley" (Robert Burns) category, though? LOL Sanlin

Congratulations, Auditrix, on your amazingly correct predictions on some key plot-points that showed up in Detox. Your perspicacity is awe inspiring. Kudos! Very well done, indeed! earthshine

Here are some excerpts from her blog. There is so much good stuff there to choose from that it is very hard to give you an accurate picture of it in just a few excepts, so please head over there as soon as you can and read it for yourself.

Excerpt from the Saturday February 19, 2005 2:17AM entry
Eileen nodded. I could see fright spreading in her eyes.

"Well, I didn't really. It was an infarction, like a stroke or a heart attack, but..." I rubbed my face with my right hand and tried again. "Okay. There wasn't a stroke to my brain. There was a blood clot in one of the arteries to my legs."

Her fear started to dissolve. "What caused it? Do they know?"

Excerpt from the Sunday February 27, 2005 1:47AM entry
There was a time in my life when I didn't have to plan everything out like this, when I could just do things without thinking about them, things like leaping up from a piano bench, crouching down to the floor to pick something up I dropped, carrying in a full bag of groceries from the car. Being able to just drop into a chair instead of lowering myself in. Taking stairs.

You know, it's been almost seven years since I've climbed a flight of stairs.

Of course, there was also a time in my life when I was adorable and cute and had no teeth and never talked back. But I don't remember that time very well either.

Excerpt from the Sunday February 27, 2005 2:30 AM entry
The stretcher started to roll forward and I lost sight of them. As we headed down the hall towards holding, I remembered where I'd seen the other guy before: in the morgue. MacTierney, that was his name. A pathologist. A pathologist who, this morning, had felt the need to venture out of his cave and personally deliver lab results to an attending physician, instead of just sending them up in the tube.

Were those my labs?

I was so screwed.

Excerpt from Sunday March 20, 2005 3:16AM entry
Two intense, frustrating, amazing years of fun, of sparring, of really hot sex. All right there in Stacey. And she'd come back.

She fingered my lapel again and looked me straight in the eye. I bent down to kiss her. As I straightened up, she gave me that look, lightly brushed my cheek with her fingertips, and gently placed her palms against my chest. I could feel the warmth of her hands through my shirt. My heart pounded.

She smiled again. And then she shoved me backwards over the edge of the roof.

Excerpt from the Friday March 25, 2005 3:59 AM entry.
"No, I'm saying you don't have cooties. But come to think of it, maybe you aren't from Mars. I'm obviously from Venus, and I could see your dad being from Mars, but...."

I laughed. "He always was asking us what planet we were on."

"That was just a rhetorical question, dear, he knew you were on Earth. The question is, what planet are you from. And I'm going to guess that you're from... Mercury."

Mercury. I could live with that. "So where's Mark from?"

She thought about it. "Saturn, perhaps."

"A giant ball of gas! That explains a lot." I chuckled, saw the expression on my mother's face and started to laugh, and couldn't stop laughing until I started coughing, hard. My mother looked alarmed, but she just handed me a box of tissues. As I leaned forward, the effort set off a sharp wave of pain in my leg. I grabbed a bed rail, clenched my teeth, and fought to control my breathing.

When the stars cleared up and I'd caught my breath, I looked up and saw my mother looking at me. I could only meet her eyes for a second. I looked down, gathered my brain, and tried again. "It's normal to cough after surgery. Clears the lungs. A good laugh, a good cough...."

She didn't look convinced. I tried again. "I bet Mark could run rings around me right now." Roll your eyes, Mom, roll your eyes and groan; laugh, do something, just forget about what you just saw.No luck -- her BS detector was too sensitive. I tried changing the subject. "Here -- could you help me with this?" I pushed on the tray table a little

Excerpt from the Thursday March 31, 2005 3:15 AM entry
I'm standing outside the conference room. Cameron and Chase are arguing. Their voices get louder and louder. It isn't funny anymore, their voices are carrying into the hallway, someone's going to hear them. I try the door and it's locked. I hurry over to my office door, cursing my gimpy gait, but it's no use -- that door's locked too.

Cameron sees me, gives me a beseeching look, but I'm powerless, I'm stymied, I can't figure a way out of the hallway. Chase continues to shout at her while her back is turned.

"That's enough!" I yell, but it's no use -- they can't, or won't, hear me. I frantically bounce my cane in my hand, judging its weight, wondering if I can use it to break the glass and get in there. Cameron turns back to face Chase, and in that instant he strikes her, so hard I can hear the crack of his hand across her face.

Are you curious yet?! I hope so. Here are the links to these wonderful stories, go enjoy and please remember to feed the author and come back for the interview!

Just a quick explaination to clarify the difference in the two blogs (Aud can explain it better than I can)

The Ficblog is at http://housemd.blogspot.com . That's the extended fanfiction.

The Fanblog, which is actually titled Progress Notes: A House Fan Blog , is at http://housefans.blogspot.com . It's a group blog, a place to post extended commentary (and for readers to join in the discussion!). I haven't been writing as much on it as I've wanted to -- I've mostly been concentrating on the fic -- but I want to get back into it in coming weeks. You'll probably recognize quite a few names on that blog

Also Aud has put together a Guide to help you with her Ficblog. I've got a link here if you want to run over and check that out now. I've also posted it at the end so when you're all done enjoying the Author Spotlight you can go over and really get into it all!!

Guide to Aud's Ficblog

Loyalties
Ficblog
Fanblog
**New Fic added 4/1/05**What House's Mother Didn't Tell Him

Okay are we all back and settled in our seats? Now is my favorite part, the interview!

rtlemurs
Well since you were one of the first members this may be a silly question but, hey silly is good! How did you become one of founding members?

Auditrix
Well, I'm not sure I was one of the founding members, I just got in on the ground floor! I was around for some of the original threads on the Fox site that inspired Taru to found HT&M, and when she set up the message board I am proud to say that I was the first one to notice that it was up and submit a post! I should have registered right away, but I didn't. That's why I'm #6 instead of #1.

rtlemurs
Ah, congratulations on being #1. Make note readers we may use this on a first anniversary quiz!

rtlemurs
You mentioned in your bio that these are the first fanfics you've ever written. Have you ever written anything else?

Auditrix
I've always liked to write -- English was my favorite class in high school. I got away from writing for a while but got started blogging a couple of years ago. This is the longest creative writing I've ever done in my life.

rtlemurs
What was it about House that inspired you to start writing?

Auditrix
The character is so compelling! That and I was very intrigued with what the first fic writers were doing.

rtlemurs
So was it just House or the other characters as well? Or have the other characters grown on you at all?

Auditrix
I'm very fond of Wilson and Cuddy. Wilson's so intriguing -- the way he is able to maintain a deep friendship with House, who's fascinating but also very, very difficult. It's amazing to watch Wilson's face during the "Stacey the stripper" scene in "Sports Medicine" -- the way it goes from "oh, great, this is exactly what I was trying to avoid" to "It really hurts me to have to tell you this" to at the end, "well, he's making jokes -- he's hurt but he's going to get over it, he's not going to hold a grudge."

It's not just a pity thing; House would have walled him out years ago if it was. As exasperating as House is, I think House's friendship is very important to Wilson. Wilson knows that House cares about him (true, it's in a very eccentric dysfunctional House way, but there it is.) Maybe it's just the affection of years and shared experiences. Maybe it's because House is so disengaged from everything else. With House, Wilson doesn't have to worry about the politics and intricacies of marriage, of flirtations, of management, of breaking bad news to patients, of hospital politics. And yet Wilson can talk about those matters with House because House knows what's on Wilson's mind. Wilson can just hang out and be Wilson, can cut his intellect loose or just yak about baseball, whatever.

Cuddy intrigues me in that she is so professional, but she never loses sight of the real goal: to treat patients. And she sees the doctors on her staff as people, not widgets. It would have been so easy to force House out a long time ago, but she's stuck with him both because he's good at treating patients AND because she doesn't want to see him letting his talents go to waste. She hasn't let House's snark and cruelty distract her from the fact that there's a person under there.

Chase has grown on me, but I really hope the writers can give us a compelling reason for this utterly dramatic change in his attitude. I like Foreman, too; he's a good guy. He's learning. His last scene in "Histories" just slays me. I wonder what he'd say about the events of "Detox."

For some reason Cameron is a cipher to me. Her character just doesn't seem to jell -- it's like there's two Camerons inhabiting the same body and it's the perceived needs of the plot that determine which Cam we're going to see that night.

rtlemurs
And we’ll follow all that great seriousness with…If House were a fruit what would he be and why?

Auditrix
A pomegranate. It's got a tough rind, very difficult to open, and bitter seeds inside, but if you have the patience to get to it, the fruit is delicious.

In classical mythology, the pomegranate is associated with death and renewal -- it's the fruit Hades offers Persephone to trick her into becoming the Queen of the Dead.

rtlemurs
Very interesting choice! Makes my mouth water just thinking about it. Expensive little buggers too.

rtlemurs
In Loyalties you predicted an alliance between Dr. Cuddy and Wilson. What was the tip-off?

Auditrix
I was just thinking about the characters. We knew that Cuddy was going to be the one to offer the bet, but it made sense that Wilson would be the one probably the most worried about House's Vicodin use and knew how much he was using.... and the light bulb just
went off.

rtlemurs
Do you still believe there's more to it than an alliance?

Auditrix
Yes. Wilson always knows Cuddy's business, and Cuddy seems to find out what's going on with House very quickly.

By the way, you know how addicted I am to parallels, and they do it all the time on this show. If you look at the "old" three as "grown-up" types of the Ducklings, House might be Foreman's counterpart, with Cuddy corresponding to Cam, and Wilson to Chase. Wilson rats out House to Cuddy and....

rtlemurs
In your ficblog you certainly have a handle on the medical end of things. How much of that is research and how much of that is calling on your pastexperience as an RN?

Auditrix
For the medical stuff in my fic, it's about 50-50. I did do research on the actual infarction -- how it would probably present and what tests and therapies would likely be done. Dr Mac was immensely helpful with this and did a beta on my timeline. I also turned to him to double check some details about how the doctors might handle things.

I also drew heavily on my own professional experience -- when I was doing bedside nursing, I was caring for patients who'd had vascular surgery. I never cared for someone with an injury quite like House's, but that thrombolytic therapy scene was straight out of my past life. Denise is based on one of my former colleagues. Sharp-eyed readers might be interested in knowing that I often served as the charge nurse on the day shift.

I also drew on my experience as a hospital patient. I once had to spend a couple of days on a medication that made me stuporous, though I wasn't as bad off as House is in the fic. The scene where he drops the water is lifted straight from life, except I dropped it on my face.

rtlemurs
Why did you go with Mom and a brother? Not very clear I know but what lead you to that particular combination?

Auditrix
Well, Mom because, well, that's just what bubbled out of my imagination. And as for brother Mark, well... I don't want to tip my hand too much because we're going to meet him in future chapters. Let's just say there is a deeper reason that House's family looks the way it does in my fic.

rtlemurs
Oooo that just makes me want to pry it out of you LOL! I can’t wait to see where this goes.

rtlemurs
If you could be any item in House's office what would it be?

Auditrix
The yellow chair. Give that man a hug!

rtlemurs
Hmmm, that’s two chairs. Another psychiatrist’s field day!

rtlemurs
How much influence is your background as an RN on your writing?

Auditrix
Probably in just shaping my interest in people, the immense variety of folks out there and their interesting lives.

One of the things I liked best about being a nurse was meeting all kinds of people and figuring out ways to meet them where they were, figure out what they needed and get it to them, whether it was something as humble as a cold drink or as dramatic as chest compressions.

It always fascinated me how differently people responded to illness, whether it was their own illness or that of a family member. It told you a lot about their attitude about control, about how realistically they looked at life, about whether they saw it as just "one of those things" or as a call to a major examination of their life, about if they were the kind of people who dealt with their emotions like adults or took things out in petty tyranny.

rtlemurs
Who is your favorite author and why?

Auditrix
I've got to name two: Jane Austen and her modern-day disciple, Patrick O'Brian. (O'Brian is most famous for his twenty-volume Aubrey-Maturin series.)

I like both of these authors because they are so sharp and observant in writing about people -- smart people, stupid people, smart people who do stupid things -- and what makes people tick. They both have such a way with words -- sharp, witty -- sometimes you'll be halfway down a page when that snark from the top line comes back to hit you. Their restraint also really draws you into their world because they're not just spoon-feeding you.

If you like House, you might like the Aubrey/Maturin series as those books also focus on a friendship, the long and rewarding friendship between Captain Aubrey and Doctor Maturin. There are some interesting parallels between Maturin and House.

rtlemurs
I’ve never read either but Austen is on the list. I’ve never been much for the nautical stuff so O’Brian would never have crossed my path. Which of their works would you recommend?

Auditrix
For Jane Austen, if you've never read her before, Pride and Prejudice is probably the best place to start. My favorite work of hers is Emma.

If you must see a movie first, the BBC adaptation starring Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth is excellent.

For Patrick O'Brian, I'd recommend reading Master and Commander and then Post Captain immediately afterwards. Don't worry about the technical nautical stuff -- just keep your eyes on the plot and the characters.

rtlemurs
Okay, what's up with Foreman?

Auditrix
He's used to being at the top of his class. the star pupil, and not used to being challenged like this all the time, especially from someone with such an.... eccentric professional demeanor who's going out of his way to push his personal buttons.

He's also a lousy judge of character and has NO street smarts.

rtlemurs
Who is your favorite character on House?

Auditrix
Does House count?

rtlemurs
Yep!

Auditrix
I love the House/Cuddy/Wilson trio.

rtlemurs
You've mostly written from House's perspective but you have included most of the other's in your works at some point. Who do you think is the hardest character to write?

Auditrix
I haven't done very much with the Ducklings at all -- I think Chase has all of two lines, and they're just about microwave popcorn. Part of it is just the way I've ended up doing the fic.

I think Cameron would probably be the hardest character to write.

rtlemurs
What is your speculation on why House is the way he is?

Auditrix
I think there's a lot of stuff going on with him, but ultimately I think he hasn't been able to accept, or understand, or find a way to reconcile himself, to the fact that much of life is illogical -- or goes beyond logic. He's a very intelligent man, but his intellect -- and his pride in his intellect -- has blinded him his need to develop other kinds of knowledge, especially insight into himself. He's smart. He isn't wise.

rtlemurs
So you don’t think he knows himself too well?

Auditrix
No, I think he doesn't know himself well at all. Part of it may be just "who he is" -- he just may not be good at introspection, or may not be an emotionally aware person. But I think it's mostly because he doesn't want to know himself. For some reason the idea of examining himself terrifies him -- he can't live with himself in his own head. Big example -- how else to explain his almost delusional belief that he wouldn't suffer physical withdrawal from all that Vicodin? That was just insane. Never mind all the other issues surrounding his Vicodin use that he had to face.

Maybe it's his own pride. If he were to look at himself, he would have to admit that he's not handling a lot of stuff well right now: not personally, not even professionally -- and he just doesn't know how to face that. Like he said to Cam, "How can you stand behind someone who screws up?" He can't face his own shortcomings, because he doesn't know how to forgive himself for them. In DNR, House talks to Foreman about having the courage to fail. It's a shame that House doesn't seem to know how to apply this lesson to his personal life. Easier to watch other people on TV (or in real life) or play with a Game Boy.

rtlemurs
Pickles?

Auditrix
Yes please.

rtlemurs
What advice would you give to those who are thinking about writing?

Auditrix
Do it. Read good books and good writers, and do an outline of where you want to go with your story before you get started.

rtlemurs
How did you come up with the idea to do a blog as House and did it involve a record player?

Auditrix
I was really tickled by some of the early fanfics and wanted to give it a try myself. I know someone who'd done some really funny parody blogs, and it seemed like a lighthearted way to get started. I never dreamed it was going to snowball like this. Sorry, no record players involved.

rtlemurs
I for one am glad you gave it a try and very happy it snowballed! I’ll forgive you the record player. LOL

rtlemurs
Any ideas for future stories?

Auditrix
Tons and tons and tons!

rtlemurs
House or Hugh Laurie?

Auditrix
Depends!

rtlemurs
On what? And you still need to make a choice, you’re not getting out of it that easily!

Auditrix
Oh alright…. Hugh Laurie.

rtlemurs
What have you found to be the most difficult thing about writing?

Auditrix
Lack of time!

As far as the actual writing, sometimes it takes me a long time to get dialogue the way I want it, especially in emotional situations.

rtlemurs
How many monkeys with bottles of Motrin would it take to fix PPTH once Vogler's done with it?

Auditrix
Barrels and barrels worth.

rtlemurs
What's your favorite episode and why?

rtlemurs
"Damned if You Do." Lots of stuff to laugh at, lots of stuff to think about, Foreman plays Santa, House plays the piano and laughs!

rtlemurs
Favorite House-ism?

Auditrix
Do I HAVE to pick just one? All right, it's probably...

"...next knitting injury that comes in, we're on it like stink
on cheese!"

rtlemurs
If you had the choice of bringing Stacey into the mix or bringing back Georgia which would you take? Inquiring minds wanna know!LOL!

Auditrix
Do I HAVE to choose?

rtlemurs
Oh yeah, I’m bringin’ out the tough questions now!LOL

Auditrix
As much as I love Georgia, bringing back Stacey has much more dramatic possibility.

rtlemurs
And finally, at the site, what is your favorite piece and who is your favorite writer?

Auditrix
Sy's "Intervention" is at the top of the list, but I have lots of favorites.

"Tuition", tpel's "House Call," and PipTook's "Distractions" are three early favorites that got me wanting to try my hand at fic myself.

Remember when I wrote you that very earnest email about "Tuition" and you had to write back and assure me that I'd totally swallowed your trick? I do like the way you handle suspense and plot twists.

I love what Taru is doing with "Lies and Truth" -- it's creative, intriguing, and funny.

I like Telegram Sam's "Carrot and Stick" because it shows Cuddy as being the good guy she is.

rtlemurs
That’s all I’ve got for you. Thank you for sharing your talent and your time with us. Good luck on future writings and find the time to do them. Enjoy the parasite ranching!

Once again I'd like to thank Auditrix for bravely stepping into the spotlight and I hope the you all have enjoyed this Author Spotlight. If you haven't already, please go catch up on your reading and make these a priority, you won't be disappointed!! And once again FEED THE AUTHOR!!!

Please remember that feedback is a great motivator and in case I haven’t said it enough… Feed the authors, all of them. Even if it’s just a brief “good job” we really appreciated it!! I’ve posted a link below to the Feedback area for "Loyalties"so you have no excuse.

Feedback for Loyalties

Also please remember to leave feedback at the blog sites too. If you have any questions or problems with how to do that please PM either Auditirx or myself and we'd be glad to show you how.

This seems like the appropriate place to put the legal stuff sooo...

**Disclaimer: We at House T&M are not responsible for the content of works that are not posted here.** not that we found anything objectionable just gotta cover our butts.

And finally, if you have any questions for the author about any of her works, writing in general, or House please feel free to post below and Auditirx will try to get you an answer.

***Update*** Aud has completed another Fic and a Guide to her Ficblog has been added to the main site. Used the links below to go and enjoy. Please remember to use the link for feedback as well!

What House's Mother Didn't Tell Him

Ficblog Guide

Feedback for What House's Mother Didn't Tell Him.

This post has been edited by rtlemurs on Apr 2 2005, 10:43 AM

--------------------
This lovely banner was designed and created by the incomparable Marina from the Devoted boards. Thank you Marina!
user posted image
Drop by and check out her many other banners here.. You must be a registered member to view and post.
rtlemurs
Posted: Mar 31 2005, 12:30 PM

Ruler of the Ficdom!

Ah, one question I did forget to ask...

What's next?

--------------------
This lovely banner was designed and created by the incomparable Marina from the Devoted boards. Thank you Marina!
user posted image
Drop by and check out her many other banners here.. You must be a registered member to view and post.
Auditrix
Posted: Mar 31 2005, 02:34 PM

Head Nurse

Group: Members
Member No.: 6

What's next?

For the blog, I plan to keep going with the backstories.... or, if you like, the backstories to the backstories..... and yes, a certain original character will be involved....

And... watch this space!

--------------------
sy_dedalus
Posted: Mar 31 2005, 10:05 PM

Protector of the Scotch

Member No.: 33

*tosses the author a bag of Author Snacks*

*steps up the podium*

Well, we're all here for the same reason tonight: to give major props to the author in question.

I don't get to give Aud much public feedback that isn't in the form of imitation and that's not right, imo, because feedback should almost always be public.* Her blog has been (and continues to be) a source of inspiration to me. I often find myself reading and re-reading particular posts when I'm stuck on something in my own fic--or when I want some solid drama, or just want something enjoyable, because I find that it's all of these things to me.

The balance between the tragic and the comic is well-struck in Aud's fic and that's difficult to do. Toeing the line between the two is something that the show does well and it's something I think the best fan fic of this show does well also, which is why I enjoy the show and the fic, especially Aud's fic, so much. It is, like so much of life, Janus-faced: inherently illogical and contradictory yet human and therefore 'right'. When the balance of comedy and tragedy in a character is tipped, we get a comedy or a tragedy, and we are compelled to watch until the balance is restored. I don't mean 'tragedy' and 'comedy' in any strict Aristotelean way; rather, that a mix of the two elements gives us great drama and we find great drama enacted in the show and in fic. I find that, like the show, Aud's fic is great drama. I am certainly compelled to watch until the end and then rewind and watch again and again and again.

I hope you are too.

Ladies and gentlemen, the author. *bows* [you all better be clapping and whooping and throwing Author Snacks]

*leaves podium*

(Jane Austen, eh, Aud? Ya know, you rather strike me as an Austen scholar. smile.gif)

Cheers,
Sy

*A Modest Proposal to the mods. Would it be possible to create a feedback thread for the fic blog? I know that one can leave comments in the blog itself, but the format makes one (or me, anyway) want to comment directly to House instead of to the author behind House. Here, though, the atmosphere for writing feedback is nice and cozy. So...something to consider maybe? smile.gif I probably should have emailed you guys directly, but what the hey, it seemed to fit that a call for public feedback should be made public.

--------------------
Bart: [after being dragged to an independent Albanian film] I was so bored I cut the ponytail off the guy sitting in front of me. [waves ponytail behind his neck] Look at me, I'm a grad student. I'm thirty years old and I made $600 last year.

Marge: Bart, don't make fun of grad students. They just made a terrible life choice
TelegramSam
Posted: Mar 31 2005, 10:11 PM

Phantom of the Hospital

Member No.: 14

Hm, I haven't read the ficblog in ages. I must catch up with it, as soon as I've caught up with school (I HATE WRITING PAPERS! AND STUPID LABS! *head explodes*)

What I remember of it though, was supremely good writing. I've never been able to write transition scenes and take what might be a boring part of life and turn it into a good piece of fiction. I'm green with envy, and that's all I'll say on the matter.

--------------------
"Luke, you’re going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.”
~Obi-Wan Kenobi

user posted image
rtlemurs
Posted: Apr 6 2005, 12:09 PM

Ruler of the Ficdom!

Let's get this puppy rolling (never actually seen a rolling puppy but the mental image I'm calling up right now if pretty entertaining! wink.gif laugh.gif ).

Am I the only curious one out there?! WAKE UP EVERYONE!!!!! biggrin.gif

When do you find is the best time to write?

Does the show inspire ideas immediately and you just have to go write it down or is it more of a slow thoughtful two days later the idea is formulated and put down?

With the blog format it seems a little easier to roll with the twist and turns of the show. Is it?

You've begun to build a backstory within the blog. How much of that is going to be affected by the what is revealed on the show in the future and how much will you stick to your original story line?

Thanks!

--------------------
user posted image
Auditrix
Posted: Apr 6 2005, 12:58 PM

Head Nurse

When do you find is the best time to write?

I'm more of a day person, and I love writing in the morning. The trouble is that's also the best time to get my RL stuff done! My second favorite time is for a couple of hours after my husband and son go to bed, but I have to be careful -- I tend to wilt quickly.

Does the show inspire ideas immediately and you just have to go write it down or is it more of a slow thoughtful two days later the idea is formulated and put down?

Depends on the episode. Sometimes I know just what to write and other times it takes a while. I usually like to think on it a little bit. I tend to like to mull things over in my head for a while and then write it down.

My little boy's playgroup meets on Wednesday morning, and that also enters into the mix!

With the blog format it seems a little easier to roll with the twist and turns of the show. Is it?

It gives me a lot of flexibility in that I can just write House as commenting on the events of the show or write the events of the show into my own fiction.

You've begun to build a backstory within the blog. How much of that is going to be affected by the what is revealed on the show in the future and how much will you stick to your original story line?

Depends on what they reveal. At this point I've pretty much laid the foundations for the "universe" of the blog -- for example, about the timeline, some details about House's past, etc. Some of it is in writing and much of it has yet to be revealed. If the show reveals something that I can easily incorporate, then I'll work it in. But otherwise I'm going to stick to what I've written and what I've planned.

--------------------
Taruia
Posted: Apr 7 2005, 08:02 AM

Goddess of the Transcripts

Group: House Addict
Member No.: 1

Ok, so I have a few questions for you Aud,

1. How do you get into the mindset of House? I mean that brain is a skeery place...lol...I've been there I know!

2. Eileen, is she based on a real person you know, or did youjust randomly draw her out of thin air??

3. Any hints on what you plan to give us in the future, I know you give me fic cokies, but I need more! lol!

4. I love the H/C in your fics, if you can give more PLEASE DO! I'm a junkie...what can I say?! lol!

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination." - Unknown

user posted image
Auditrix
Posted: Apr 7 2005, 03:53 PM

Head Nurse

1. How do you get into the mindset of House? I mean that brain is a skeery place...lol...I've been there I know!

You know?....I don't know. Sometimes I'll watch clips from some of the eps; sometimes I'll close my eyes and literally imagine things from his perspective -- for example, what it looks like to sit at the desk and hear things in the conference room, or to be rattling around at some ungodly hour of the morning. And sometimes I'll just mull it over at odd times -- what would somebody who thinks like House think of this?

2. Eileen, is she based on a real person you know, or did you just randomly draw her out of thin air??

For Eileen, I turned to one of the same classic stories that inspired the creators of the show. So her primary inspiration is literary. Her physical appearance is inspired by a friend's, and I'll be drawing on some of my other friends' experiences as well as my own as I continue to write her.

3. Any hints on what you plan to give us in the future, I know you give me fic cokies, but I need more! lol!

I am planning to do more with the backstory. We'll be seeing more of House's family and of some girl he met when he was a resident.

I also want to start doing a bit more with the Ducklings.

4. I love the H/C in your fics, if you can give more PLEASE DO! I'm a junkie...what can I say?! lol!

C? C??.... What is this C you speak of? blink.gif

If you mean the big whomping medical stories, I'm not sure how much more I'm going to do with the infarct. I might be persuaded to take requests, though, particularly over the long summer drought.... biggrin.gif

--------------------
Auditrix
Posted: Apr 13 2005, 06:06 PM

Head Nurse

In case you're interested, I've just added a major post to the ficblog. Those interested in a certain original character might be especially interested in this one

*PG-13 for language; spoilers for "Role Model"

codes, coffees, crayons

--------------------
Taruia
Posted: Apr 13 2005, 06:32 PM

Goddess of the Transcripts

Group: House Addict
Member No.: 1

Aud I love you! and the Hepatic Portal Vein...I know where that is, and I can point it out too! LOL...the cats have become useful! Wheeee!

I loved this chapter, the beginning part was perfect, and the Eileen part...lol LOVED it, and Dr. Ball was AMAZING! I can see now why House is the quality of doctor that he is, he had a great teacher...WOW I can't say enough about this update! LOVED IT! And there wasn't even any big H/C really...wow...*goes off to gather brain* LOL I can't take this kind of shock when I'm coming off a headache...LOL!

Loved it!

Taru

--------------------
"Reality is only for those who lack imagination." - Unknown

user posted image
Marisol Jackoweskla
Posted: Apr 13 2005, 07:05 PM

House's piano

Group: All Powerful Moderator
Member No.: 4

I'm like House, I'll go to a concert for madrigals. Great job.

(Let me know when you want some repertoire help on Eileen. I'm not an alto by any stretch of the imagination, but I've got some books that I could pull some arias out of. Also, let me know what kind of stuff you want. Is she an opera girl, or does she do some lieder/early American popular as well?)

--------------------
Wake up and smell the iambic pentameter!
Auditrix
Posted: Apr 14 2005, 01:41 PM

Head Nurse

Glad you liked it!

Mari, thanks for the offer -- watch for a PM soon....

Thanks again!

--------------------
asil
Posted: Apr 14 2005, 02:33 PM

Department Head

Member No.: 40

Great interview! I'm so glad to see there's a guide to the blog. I have to admit, every time I've gone to the site, I get all panicky & don't read nearly enough cuz I'm afraid I'll miss stuff & I'm an all or nothing kind of gal. Hopefully the guide will keep me on track so I can really dive in. I do love your other fics though, Aud. I am making a resolution to post feedback for all the great stuff you & all the other authors have been writing. I'm so bad about it cuz I often listen to the stories on the train & don't have access to a computer right then & there. So much catching up to do. Thanks for keeping me so busy!
Auditrix
Posted: Apr 14 2005, 05:09 PM

Head Nurse

Thanks, asil.

That is so clever how you rigged up your listen-on-the-train scheme!

--------------------
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Skin created by Ben of the IF Skin Zone.

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0645 seconds · Archive