www.freedomoftheroad.net BANNER

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Freedom Of The Road. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

1976 Tioga
CoffeeCup
Posted: Mar 16 2010, 04:18 PM

Camper

Group: Camper
Member No.: 87

Last year my neighbors gave me a 1976 Tioga that they had sitting in their yard, they had no plans on fixing it up;so they offered it to me.

I have had the beast since July and I have painted the interior, put down stick-on laminate flooring, put in a new toilet.

The roof vents need to be replaced and I did replace the 26"x26" escape hatch/vent, we had horrible winds over the winter and my new vent was picked up by the wind and ripped off..The frame was still firmly attached to the roof, but the vent part was what was taken off by the wind.

I found another one online, but this one is a low profile one and I installed it today.

I found that the previous owners had nailed down the two other 14"x14" vents and then painted over them with that white roofing paint.

I have never seen vents nailed down before. I also have two new vents with the putty tape and screw kit for installation.

Now comes the fun part (sarcasm) removing the painted on roof paint as well as getting the old vents off without causing too much damage to either the vent or the roof.

Other than using a chisel and a hammer does anyone know of an easier way to remove the gooped on roofing paint?

Once I get the vents done, the mechanic will come pick up the beast and take her in to get her running and new tires.
Juggler
Posted: Mar 16 2010, 09:26 PM

Member No.: 67

About two years ago we got a great deal on a 1984 Tioga.

(Posted Image)

That pic was made after lots of "elbow grease" and wax.

Our roof has been painted by some previous owner too. And the Max Air roof vent covers were (wrongly) attached directly to the roof, then was painted over by the thick roofing paint. Ours has some type of solid roof, I'm not sure if it's fiberglass or aluminum and sealed up the screw heads and everything. I haven't made the repair yet, but I was thinking of trying a box cutter to cut around the vent covers. Thing is, if the roof is fiberglass, I could be weakening the roof.

Not much help I know, but at least you aren't alone! Us vintage Tioga guys gotta hang together! :D
CoffeeCup
Posted: Mar 20 2010, 09:28 AM

Camper

That is a nice looking 84' Tioga!!

Well I managed to get all three vents installed with a few minor mishaps, which included a wind gust that knocked me off balance and I slid off of the front of the RV and on to the ground (no injuries) and when climbing out the escape hatch one of the 14x14 vents slipped through my fingers and the metal rim cut one of my fingers..This required super glue to hold the cut together. :blink:

But the vents are installed, now it is time for new tires, then she will be ready to hit the road.
Gess-Hoo
Posted: Mar 20 2010, 12:41 PM

Weekender

Member No.: 208

Glad you are ok!
Paw Paw Festus
Posted: Mar 20 2010, 12:54 PM

Sometimer

Member No.: 176

QUOTE (CoffeeCup @ Mar 16 2010, 04:18 PM)
Other than using a chisel and a hammer does anyone know of an easier way to remove the gooped on roofing paint?

So how DID you get the goop off?
CoffeeCup
Posted: Mar 20 2010, 02:11 PM

Camper

I used a chisel and a hammer as well as a butter knife to pry the roof paint off..That is what took the most time..

One vent was nailed down, the other had screws, so the one that was nailed down came right off once the roof paint was removed.
CoffeeCup
Posted: Mar 21 2010, 01:56 PM

Camper

Whoops, I hit a snag..It rained, and the MH was soaked on the inside near the seams in the rear..

I had someone come help me pull the metal roofing back and we found a major problem.

There is bad water damage in the entire rear section of the MH.

I have someone coming out to take a look at the MH and they will give me what I have put into it and take it off of my hands.

It will cost too much for me to continue to fix her up. :(

At least I gave it a good shot....

I guess I get to go back to the basics and go tent camping... :rolleyes:
Paw Paw Festus
Posted: Mar 21 2010, 02:35 PM

Sometimer

Dog gone it. I was wanting to hear a success story. :(

That sort of thing is fixable. Or at least good enough to get a few more years out of one.

My first camper was an old "Trail Manor" which had a lot of rotted boards which gave way to a wind storm, peeling the top off the front half.
Luckiy, the guy who had it, had parked a utility trailer in front of it, so the top flipped over on top of that other trailer. He covered the whole unit with a tarp till the insurance adjuster could see it.

He totaled it out, offered the guy 2400 and keep it, or 2800 and the insurance co would haul it off.
The guy offered it to me for the difference of $400.00 -- I took it. Stuck a few hard wood boards back in there, sprayed expander foam in every crook and cranny. Smeared silicone all over the joining faces, FLOPPED that roof back over and screwed that dude down with galvanized wood screws.
The fix cost me an additional $200.00 time I was done inside and out.

We had a blast camping in that rotten old Manor! :D My shade tree patch up job worked. We sealed it every year along the seems with light caulking. It never leaked.
When we got ready to move up to a fiver, I put a sign on it that read:

For Sale W/ Rebuilt Title
Make an Offer

A local guy came by the NEXT DAY and offered me $2200.00
I told him the story behind it -- witheld NOTHING and said How about $1800.00 ??He grinned ear to ear and started counting bills.
He was happy as a lark to get that thing. He still uses it for hunting and fishing every year.

I made a $1200.00 profit and walked away with some wonderful memories of that rotten old Manor.

Don't let me talk you into keeping your Tioga, but I'm here to tell ya, you can do a LOT with a LITTLE if its ALL YA GOT. ;)

Good luck!
Maybe another good deal, -- a BETTER deal, will come your way soon.
CoffeeCup
Posted: Mar 21 2010, 03:11 PM

Camper

If it didn't need a new fridge, and new tires I would consider keeping her, but as it is I do not have enough money to keep dumping into her.

I so wanted this to be a success story as well, I put a lot of hard work into her so far, but mainly just painting the interior, putting in a new toilet and getting new cushions for the dinette as well as the upper bunk. Oh and the three vents..

If anything it kept me busy and helped keep my mind off of stressful things. And it was an experience I enjoyed.

I have a feeling something better is coming down my path.
Paw Paw Festus
Posted: Mar 21 2010, 03:25 PM

Sometimer

I do too.
At least you got your investment back. Along with some experience that may come in handy later. Excuse me, WILL come in handy later.
CoffeeCup
Posted: Mar 21 2010, 07:43 PM

Camper

My neighbors have been impressed with me that is for sure. They made comments on how hard I have worked on the Tioga and were very impressed with the work I did on the interior.

They told me it is not everyday that you see a thin blonde woman climb up a ladder to a mini-motor home and tear and rip out old vents..lol

I now know how to replace a RV toilet, how to install flooring, how to check to see if there are any leaks in the propane system, how to make curtains with snaps, how to install vents properly.

It was a learning experience that I enjoyed, even though it was frustrating at times.. :)
shotgun
Posted: Mar 21 2010, 09:52 PM

Sometimer

Member No.: 178

"how to check to see if there are any leaks in the propane "

NOT like Jay I hope.

he would be busy smoking those old nasty Ceegars while using a bbq lighter to find the leak,

lol, :lol: :lol: :lol:
CoffeeCup
Posted: Mar 21 2010, 09:54 PM

Camper

Ummm, no, I checked with a spray bottle of soapy water and a match LOL
Paw Paw Festus
Posted: Mar 22 2010, 06:51 AM

Sometimer

QUOTE (shotgun @ Mar 21 2010, 09:52 PM)

NOT like Jay I hope.

he would be busy smoking those old nasty Ceegars while using a bbq lighter to find the leak,

My company recognises me as an SME on two subjects. One of which is Propane Emergencies. The other is Crude Oil Tank Fires. Both disaplines are Industrial level of course, which puts RV propane systems outside my area of expertise.

But CIGARS, --- I know all about CIGARS!

You should NEVER smoke a premium cigar around a propane leak. Propane has Ethyl Mercaptan in it. I don't know if it still holds the title or not, but Ethyl Mercaptan used to be in the Guiness Book Of World Records as the smelliest substance on earth.

You could totally screw up a good cigar experience by allowing that spicy rotten onion flavor to migrate into your Puro. DON'T DO IT! :wacko:

Its like throwing cigarettes into the toilet. Dammit man! It makes em hard to lite! :P :P :P :P

Obviously, an attempt at humor. As a rule, Cigars and propane don't play well together, for reasons OTHER than cigar flavor. :D

I must admit, I too have used flame to find small propane leaks. I don't recommend it, but it can be done if you know what your doing.
CoffeeCup
Posted: Mar 22 2010, 08:46 AM

Camper

LMAO!!!!

Propane does smell bad..I know nothing about cigars, but throwing cigarettes in a toilet I am sure would make them impossible to lite and once they dry out I bet they would taste terrible :D

I confess, I did not use a match when testing for leaks, just the spray bottle with soapy water. I also had someone trained come out and test the system to make sure, and there were no leaks.

Knowing that I do not have to dump anymore money into the Tioga has sure taken a lot of pressure off of me. Knowing that I am going to have someone come get her and pay me what I have put into her is a good feeling.

At least she will go to someone who is willing to put the money into her to get her fixed up and running.

The tires were going to be expensive to have all 6 replaced. The dry rot on them was scary to look at and the thought of having to drive her to the tire shop in town might have been an adventure that I did not want to take.

Fishing season has opened up around here, and I hear the rainbow trout calling my name. I will do what I have to do to take my son and myself fishing this season even if it means camping in a tent.
Paw Paw Festus
Posted: Mar 22 2010, 12:02 PM

Sometimer

Atta girl. :)
You hold my respect and admiration.
Anytime I can be of service, let me know.
jaybird
Posted: Apr 7 2010, 12:02 AM

Camper

Member No.: 49

No need to worry

ANYTHING
about Coffee Cup and her Tioga

I have it on good authority

that she NOW has a "new to her" coach

in much better shape
jaybird
Posted: Apr 7 2010, 12:05 AM

Camper

Member No.: 49

QUOTE (shotgun @ Mar 21 2010, 07:52 PM)

NOT like Jay I hope.

I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK!
CoffeeCup
Posted: Jul 21 2010, 08:16 PM

Camper

QUOTE (jaybird @ Apr 7 2010, 12:02 AM)
No need to worry

ANYTHING
about Coffee Cup and her Tioga

I have it on good authority

that she NOW has a "new to her" coach

in much better shape

That it is, and a friend and I will be taking it out to the lake this weekend. My friend will follow me up there with his truck and be towing his motor boat..

Looking forward to this trip that is for sure
Happy5er
Posted: Jul 22 2010, 08:49 PM

Dee --- La Pine, Oregon

Member No.: 27

YAY! glad you got the green beast off your hands and have a "new to you" rig that I know was taken care of!!!! :D
CoffeeCup
Posted: Jul 22 2010, 09:09 PM

Camper

QUOTE (Happy5er @ Jul 22 2010, 08:49 PM)
YAY! glad you got the green beast off your hands and have a "new to you" rig that I know was taken care of!!!! :D

Oh yeah, the "new to me" RV has been taken good care of, and she is ready to roll tomorrow evening..
Paw Paw Festus
Posted: Jul 23 2010, 05:42 PM

Sometimer

OUTSTANDING!!!

I punched a tire the other day on a rock, so I've been cranky all day. ($209.00 to replace it today)
You just made my day! I'm thrilled you finally got hooked up with a Coach! Pictures?? :D
CoffeeCup
Posted: Jul 23 2010, 06:25 PM

Camper

Well here is a picture of it far, far away on the moon, or Lost in Space, or was it the Planet of the Apes...Actually all of the above at the Trona Pinnacles..

(Posted Image)

(Posted Image)

But here are some pictures of the interior that I took after I added my own bedding to it and a few decorations..

(Posted Image)

(Posted Image)

(Posted Image)

(Posted Image)
Paw Paw Festus
Posted: Jul 23 2010, 11:57 PM

Sometimer

WOW, you done GOOD!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Class C RV's | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2187 seconds | Archive