Title: DO NOT talk to cops
shotgun - October 11, 2010 12:09 AM (GMT)
this is a good video for everyone to watch. It goes into what happens to you and why it happens when you talk to the police. From a def lawyer, and a police det. link
MusicMan - October 11, 2010 12:58 AM (GMT)
With all due respect, Shotgun, the only people who need to watch that video are the the bad guys. The rest of us have nothing to worry about.
The man makes a blatant statement that he will NEVER talk to the police. If he is a witness to a crime and fails to tell the police what he knows, he's lowered himself the same level as the criminal and may have let that criminal go free. What if you're the crime victim and "Mr. Know-It-All" refuses to cooperate?
shotgun - October 11, 2010 01:18 AM (GMT)
Then we will have to agree to disagree.
I have known a few people who are not bad guys, and have been busted because of this very reason.
There are innocent people in Jail as we sit here. What this lawyer, and the police det have said in this clip is 100% the truth.
MusicMan - October 11, 2010 05:43 PM (GMT)
If someone shoots you, are you gonna call the police or that lawyer?
The Texan - October 12, 2010 12:09 AM (GMT)
I was going to stay out of this one, but if you follow their advice, you are setting yourself up for a fall. Certain information, you are required by case law to provide when asked and to refuse is an illegal act so, "you lose" by following their advice. Yes, under certain, very strict circumstances, I agree, but to make a broad statement, to "never talk to the police" is flat out wrong. The only innocent people in jail or prison, are those that had a lawyer who did not do his/her job, not because they talked to the police. Nothing I hate more than a shyster, which I would classify this lawyer, and a cop who is a know it all and not doing his/her job, which this one is not. If you follow their advice, then make sure your prepaid legal plan is current.
MusicMan - October 13, 2010 01:50 AM (GMT)
Texan, I'm glad you didn't stay out of it. You made several good points.
sushidog - October 27, 2010 12:48 PM (GMT)
|QUOTE (MusicMan @ Oct 11 2010, 11:43 AM)|
| If someone shoots you, are you gonna call the police or that lawyer? |
First, I'm going to call a doctor. :P
Seriously though, if the perp is lying there with two 22 magnum holes in his forehead and his brains missing out the back, my second call will be to my lawyer. The police will probably visit me in the hospital to take my signed statement which will be typed up by my attorney. :) ,
MusicMan - October 27, 2010 01:04 PM (GMT)
Sushidog, I guess you can do what you want, whether it's right or wrong but the prisons are full of people who refused to talk to the police. The police don't necessarily need the suspect's cooperation to convict him.
Vigilante justice is one of the reasons we have police.
sushidog - October 27, 2010 09:07 PM (GMT)
|QUOTE (MusicMan @ Oct 27 2010, 07:04 AM)|
| The police don't necessarily need the suspect's cooperation to convict him.|
Vigilante justice is one of the reasons we have police.
No one is talking about vigilante justice, just about stopping a felonious assault, perhaps even an attempted murder. In the afore mentioned scenario I had already been shot before I drew my weapon to defend my life. The fact that I had excellent shot placement and a tight group is irrelevant. In the real world, situations will already be resolved long before the police arrive to mop up the mess.
I would never kill anyone who didn't need killin'. :rolleyes:
I believe in being friendly, helpful and respectful to the police, assisting them in any way I can. I would come to their aid in a bad situation, defending their life with my own as I would any comrad in arms. However, if they started questioning me as a suspect, I respect their expertise enough to measure my words quite carefully. I believe that 90% or more of police are honest, hard working folk of the highest character, ethics and morals. It's the other 10% I worry about. ;)
It's true that the police don't need your cooperation to convict you, they just need a reasonable amount of evidence. If you don't give them any, by making an erroneous, contradictory statement, and your statement is in writing, they can't take what you say out of context. Remember, "If the glove doesn't fit they must aquit!" If murderers can get off scott free, then I'm sure there are at least a few in jail who were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. :D
Would you rather be judged by 12 or carried by 6? If I do end up in prison for defending my life by killing some scumbag who tried to end mine, well, at least I might get out some day. I haven't seen anyone crawl out of a grave yet.
The Texan - October 27, 2010 11:10 PM (GMT)
|QUOTE (sushidog @ Oct 27 2010, 03:07 PM)|
| However, if they started questioning me as a suspect, I respect their expertise enough to measure my words quite carefully. I believe that 90% or more of police are honest, hard working folk of the highest character, ethics and morals. It's the other 10% I worry about. ;) |
I hate to agree with this statement, but after 25+ years in the profession, it is true. I helped the state charge and convict a Sgt on a local department that was as dirty as they come. Even in our own department, I know there were several that lied on the witness stand in order to get a conviction. I had a talk with the Judge and they were placed on a watch list, but don't know if it ever went anywhere, as I retired shortly afterwards.
donsm60 - October 28, 2010 03:29 AM (GMT)
I also agree with Chipís logic as usual. Clear, to the point and on the money and know a number of LE here in some high ranks.
Just like every profession itís a few bad apples that can give it a bad name not to mention the climate where you live. My Sherriff, not a small county by any meansÖ thinks Iím a pretty stable guy and will sign forms for weapons most couldnít understand.
Situations can be very different and reading them and understanding what to do next is the key. I trust the LE in our area and they are as frustrated with the crime as we are. But, if it has to happen anything past Ďbasic detailsí and I was in fear for my life or that of others I know just who to call locally and the number is in my phone. A big time NRA lawyer.
Itís not a cop vs. citizen for me because I know most are busting their arse trying to do what it takes to protect us the best they can.
I wish more people would be willing to take the gloves off and say weíre not taking it anymore. Not so much from the petty crime end, but from the violent crime side of it. They would be surprised how 99% of criminals cower just like the bullies in school I jacked-up when they showed their backside. They cry like babies. Maybe Iím a strange one? I literally have no fear of physical confrontation, if it needs to happen the party is on and its always been that way.
But canít stand seeing people argue over the silliest things online. Figure that one out? Small ego big stick I guess. :)
MarionMedic - October 28, 2010 08:04 AM (GMT)
I talk to cops 8 hours every night, 5 nights a week.
I'm a 911 Dispatcher.
I think that video is the product of some serious "tin-foil-hat" mentality.
And since I also run in the same circles as "militia" and "survivalists", I can say that.
I have SEEN and I KNOW some really paranoid folk.
donsm60 - October 28, 2010 04:57 PM (GMT)
So thatís what you landed for work Don, very cool! Iíd ask if they were hiring but with my communication deficiencies Iíd end up sending tactical teams to read meters and meter readers to hostage situations. :huh: :D