InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Forums Of Destiny. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, viewing certain forums, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

LDD Nathek
Takal
Posted: Nov 8 2012, 10:20 PM

Toa of Thunder

Group: Forum Administrator
Member No.: 11

So... He is finished.

The joints are, I admit, very gappy. In order to allow the limbs to move with a near-natural range of positions, I think it's neccessary. I replaced as many of the ball-jointed sections as I could with hinge arrays - the neck, fingers and wrists are the only joints that use the ball bearing method, which suffer heavily from lag when they're posed.

The picture's not all that clear at this distance, so here's a range of pictures that cover pretty much all the surfaces in recognisable detail:

Front of feet and shins

Back of feet and shins

Front of thighs, pelvis and lower arms

Back of thighs, pelvis and lower arms

Front of torso

Back of torso

Kanohi Ruru

(It's not actually supposed to be a Ruru, but that's not the topic, here)

And yeah... Full body Articulation. Counting the three-hinge arrays replacing the ball joints as one joint, he has 43 points of articulation, while in practice it's 55.

If you want the file to play around with, it's here. Bear in mind it's a huge, laggy model. It might not be supportable on some computers, and it'll appear to freeze whenever you edit an angle, change the group of bricks you're changing the angles around, switch the angle tool (after it's been used) for any other tool, when you load it or when you save it. These are all temporary effects, though. In the most severe cases (on this computer), they'll last three minutes at most (doing things like rotating the whole body around an extremity like a foot or a knuckle).

So, comments? If you have any ideas, I'd really appreciate feedback on ideas to make the others less gappy, while still mobile. I don't think I'll be editing this one, though.

(Also, I might be privy to uploading more images in the future. I'll edit them into the topic if and when I do. This won't be happening on BZP, so that's another reason to keep tabs on this one rather than BZP's similar topic.
Adrninistrator
Posted: Nov 9 2012, 03:30 AM

Imatron

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I think this is your best one yet. The mask and feet are my favorite parts, and I like how you added some matching details to each of the limbs to make them more uniform as part of the same creation. I think Ill be getting this ready for the front page ^__^
Takal
Posted: Nov 9 2012, 08:22 PM

Toa of Thunder

Thanks, Immy. I'm really enjoying this project myself, so far. It's slow, but it's certainly rewarding. I'd really recommend this kind of thing to anyone who has the spare time... and a suitable computer.
Adrninistrator
Posted: Nov 12 2012, 03:58 PM

Imatron

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

By the time you see this Nathek will probably be on the front page already or close to it, but I can fix it easily later, was the last link in the "full body articulation" supposed to be the front of lower legs and shins image? Should I add in that the Ruru mask, by his backstory, is just another mask shaped like a Ruru(as that is my guess as to what it is.)

I wonder how long it will be before we see someone barrow your design to make a Halo spartan.

...Have you connsidered building an sort of underskelaton to help fill in the gap, or can you use any of the flexible cloth or bending elements to fill in that gap? If you built a hinge first so the legs can move out sideways and (like he was doing jumping jacks) and attach that to the leg itself, perhaps on technic beams, then put a rotating hinge (as if he was moving his leg foward), and attach it to the inside of the pevis or close to it, and then bulked up the hinge itself, that might get rid of a good portion of the gap.
Takal
Posted: Nov 13 2012, 12:38 AM

Toa of Thunder

Yeah... That shin picture was supposed to be this... I messed up my URLs 'cause I copied them all from /nathek_5.png and just changed the number.

Heh, yeah, he was loosely based on some aspects of the Mk: VI variant from Halo 4, in the same way Nuara was modeled loosely on the lighter armour from the first Mass Effect. I thought the armour from Halo was a good baseline as it always struck me as one of the few sets I've seen that really looks like the armour plates wouldn't hinder movement. Stuff like Mass Effect has a habit of flexing what should be solid sections of armour, and real-world alternatives really aren't built for mobility. Pharos' design is much more original, but keeps roughly the same modular design. I'd imagine Tarthus will be something similar once I start to rebuild him from scratch... It just seems to work best.

Yeah, it's supposed to be a mask of momentum, a Xian-made design produced for the Brotherhood of Makuta (the team were built by a Makuta, and use a lot more Xian tech as tools as a result) that allows him to speed himself up while reducing his force output (so he'd be able to run at about half the speed of a Pakari wearer at the cost of having little to no ability to, say, tackle), or to slow himself down and increase his brute force, which he typically does as he lands a hit on someone. I didn't feel it necessary to add a bio 'cause judging by my appalling epics-ethic, it's gonna' be a while until his prequel's schedualled to come in.

Something went wrong with LDD a while ago, and I lost the ability to flex those parts. While usually you'd be able to flex the whole thing, I can only flex the first "hinge" from the end of any flex part, even then only up to about three degrees. Sadly that won't work...
maxthethrax
Posted: Nov 16 2012, 07:09 AM

The master of the Bohrok Swarms

Group: Members
Member No.: 271

BUA!!!LDD NATHEK IS AWESOME!!!!BRAVO!!!!
« Next Oldest | My Own Creations | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0708 seconds | Archive