InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Forums Of Destiny. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, viewing certain forums, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

LEGO vs KRE-O?, KRE-O is starting off a good?
Matoro
Posted: Feb 15 2012, 06:42 AM

Birds R Awesome!

Group: Members
Member No.: 36

I have been recently looking at the new toys and construction sets coming up this 2012, and I got to admit, I am looking forward to Hasbro's Battleship KRE-O theme than LEGO's Lord of the Rings or Monsters sets.

There is something that makes KRE-O special than LEGO as of now. Like the KRE-O sets reminds me of the set style that LEGO used to do back in 1999-2001. Blocky, but average simple fun designs in their sets. While LEGO has all these license themed sets and they seem to focus more the little accessories than the actual build itself, or doing to much than it has to be (For example: I prefer the Toa Mata sets over the flexible Toa Mistinka sets! LEGO is making the set too complicated than it has to be. Add more gears! Not joints!).
Idk, it's just me. I think simplicity just make the building set seem like a charm. That is why I really enjoy playing my rokenbok set so much. It is simplistic, yet fun!

I don't know about you guys, but I am thinking about getting this set when it comes out:
http://youbentmywookie.com/wookie/gallery/...IKE%2038955.jpg
Xinlo
Posted: Feb 15 2012, 07:01 AM

Toa

Member No.: 108

KRE-O is crap. Lego > everything. Also both LotR and Monster Hunters look sweet. But I guess you need to be a LotR fan to appreciate the sets...

I bet those Kre-O things don't even stick together right, just like megabloks. They look like the same type of plastic and stuff.
Takal
Posted: Feb 15 2012, 07:34 PM

Toa of Thunder

Group: Forum Administrator
Member No.: 11

QUOTE (Xinlo @ Feb 15 2012, 07:01 AM)
Monster Hunters

*Immediately focusses in*

Oh, wait... Never mind. That could have been amazing though, right, Ria?

And I'm with Xin. Lego copycats don't tend to have the durability or good piece-locking of Lego. As design goes, it's good, I suppose. But it's not like you can't make what you're looking for, right? That's the point of Lego: the sets are just a building suggestion. If you want geared models, what's stopping you? I'm pretty vehemently anti-Inika torso, so I built the sets I wanted.
Matoro
Posted: Feb 15 2012, 08:26 PM

Birds R Awesome!

Eh well, it doesn't hurt to buy a KRE-O set. It might be cool and something new. I saw some video KRE-O sets reviews in "The Brick Show" (Youtube LEGO set reviewer) - and the durability is better than Mega Blocks. I also really like Hasbro's toy line, from Nerf Guns, to Bop Its, and board games. So I 'assume' that their new KRE-O toy line would have to be pretty good. Maybe, maybe not. :/
I really enjoyed Rokenbok's sets. But then again, it is a different type of building style. Hmm, ah well at least I can say that I bought a KRE-O set. I haven't bought one yet, because the transformers theme isn't really my thing (I don't like giant robots! xP ). Battleship isn't really my favorite theme either, but that Alien Striker is pretty cool looking. Reminds me of one of those LEGO Life on Mars sets (1st Mars gen theme).

This post has been edited by Matoro on Feb 15 2012, 08:39 PM
Takal
Posted: Feb 16 2012, 12:52 AM

Toa of Thunder

QUOTE (Matoro @ Feb 15 2012, 08:26 PM)
I don't like giant robots!

[/irony]

I don't quite get that logic, though. Why would you get a spinoff to say "Well, at least I got a spinoff"?

This post has been edited by Takal on Feb 16 2012, 12:54 AM
Adrninistrator
Posted: Feb 16 2012, 03:11 AM

Imatron

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Megabloks has significantly improved in quality over the years, and even has some halfway decent themes, so that could mean KRE-O is actualy decent. Then again the first and last time I intentionaly bought megablocks was 7 years ago, I hope they havent gotten worse since then.

That does look like a decent set, not much to my taste, but I see why your tempted to get it. There is plenty of merit for a LEGO Enthusiast to collect small samples of other brands, perhaps simply to see what it's like, to have something to talk about and show friends, etc. Plenty of MEGOblocks themes have caught my eye and left me wishing it was done with LEGO elements instead, like a few of their Bionicle spoofs, and particularly the Area 51 series they had.

But...I tend to avoid clone bricks, I enjoy Knex though, for it's technical aplications, and share an affinity for Rokenbok like Mataro does, though mostly for the vehicles rather than the building side of it.
Matoro
Posted: Feb 16 2012, 05:26 AM

Birds R Awesome!

QUOTE (Takal @ Feb 16 2012, 12:52 AM)
QUOTE (Matoro @ Feb 15 2012, 08:26 PM)
I don't like giant robots!

[/irony]

I don't quite get that logic, though. Why would you get a spinoff to say "Well, at least I got a spinoff"?

"Irony?" /sad.gif You mean Bionicle had giant robots? ...OH! They did have giant robots in 2010. Yeah, I uh didn't really like the storyline where it was going back in 2008+. I was following it loosely.

I don't think I would consider Mega Blocks or KRE-O spin offs of LEGO though. It is like calling tinker toys spin-offs of Lincoln logs (yeah, uh, bad example. I was stretching it sleep.gif ). Oh! You know what I mean!

I just want to try new stuff and voice my opinion on something after I tried it out. It's not going to kill me to try it out.
Like I said before, Hasbro has a really good line of fantastic history of awesome toys from the past.

Also I am more of a retro lego builder. I like things simple and fun. Like I really enjoy the aspects on this set, than this set. But that is just me. I like the little charm these types of sets has that made them so enjoyable.
Also this review convinced me that KRE-O bricks shouldn't be over-looked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iMbPDYbcnw&feature=relmfu

9_9 I'll do a small review on this set when it comes out and its under 30 bucks. I'm mostly getting the pieces for the alien vehicle. Not so much for the Kre-ons.

I wish LEGO would just make a theme called, "LEGO Classic" or something. Designing "Ye Old" set style like they did in the past. But I know that won't happen.

This post has been edited by Matoro on Feb 16 2012, 05:29 AM
Xinlo
Posted: Feb 16 2012, 07:06 AM

Toa

It's not a spinoff - a spinoff is a licensed extra-bit thingy; BIONICLE was more akin to a LEGO spinoff. These (and megabloks) are ripoffs - barely legal, almost exact copies that should be burned.

Also, Megabloks has improved in aesthetic quality; Neoshifters were fantastic. That said, every one I own has at least one broken piece.

And Rokenbok is hardly anything like LEGO, nor was K'Nex. I'm still pretty disappointed in them for stealing the stud thing... beside the fact that it should be illegal, it's just not k'nex. They had their own awesome style which barely exists in the newer sets.

This post has been edited by Xinlo on Feb 16 2012, 07:10 AM
Adrninistrator
Posted: Feb 16 2012, 05:39 PM

Imatron

Yeah, Knex's new sets are garbage compared to what they used to make. Honestly, how much of an audiance do they get with those roller coaster amd carnival sets to keep pumping them out year after year? As for the stud bricks they started making, it's my understanding they got The LEGO Company's blessing with the stud bricks because they made sure the studs themselves could be distingushed from LEGO's. Megablocks have actually been banned in some contries simply because they refuse to change the shape of the studs.

Also, remember those counterfit bohrok that were nothing nut exact clones in different colors with the LEGO logo's removed? I remember when a BZPer got ahold of one, by the time he had it built his hands were sore XD
Matoro
Posted: Feb 16 2012, 06:46 PM

Birds R Awesome!

QUOTE (Xinlo @ Feb 16 2012, 07:06 AM)

And Rokenbok is hardly anything like LEGO, nor was K'Nex. I'm still pretty disappointed in them for stealing the stud thing... beside the fact that it should be illegal, it's just not k'nex. They had their own awesome style which barely exists in the newer sets.

I liked the old KNE'X sets too. I mainly use them to build perches and playsets for my parakeets to climb around on.
When I saw the "Mario Kart" theme made by KNEX, I first thought it was made by Mega Blocks, since they are trying to appeal to kids that are into video games such as Halo. tongue.gif
Now LEGO following the "video game" market as well. They are going to release Minecraft LEGO sets.
*sigh* the target market these days. It wasn't like it used to be. These sets are appealing to gamers, not really to the 'retro' peeps anymore. :/
I think Hasbro is going to follow the gaming market as well. Since they partnered with the company that makes [insertword]ville games on facebook. I am betting they are going to make a Kre-o farmville set in the future which would totally suck. But my guess is that Hasbro is going to do their own made up themes first, like G.I. Joe or My Little Pony. I know they are going to make the Star Trek theme (To compete against LEGO Star Wars) next, after Battleship.

This post has been edited by Matoro on Feb 16 2012, 06:53 PM
Xinlo
Posted: Feb 17 2012, 12:54 AM

Toa

Is a star trek line confirmed?

Also the minecraft thing is only one set. It's not a line - cuusoo is only for having single sets made.
Matoro
Posted: Feb 17 2012, 03:35 AM

Birds R Awesome!

I saw some rumors online that Hasbro might do a Star Trek theme after Battleship in various Toy Fair videos from Hasbro representatives (or someone dressed as one). But I don't think it is confirmed, although I think its a good thought though, since the Star Trek and Star Wars MMOs made them somewhat "popular" again (I see those ads everywhere and some of my friends are talking about it. So I "assume" it must be popular that it made them bring back the themes :/ ). I'm not into that stuff anyways.

As for the 1 minecraft set thing:
My response...: Oh, I did not know that. ohmy.gif
Adrninistrator
Posted: Feb 17 2012, 04:19 AM

Imatron

That minecraft set is looking tempting, but I imagine it's pushing an 80 dollar price tag.

There is a great deal of AFOL interest in star trek, but what I heard at a convention from a LEGO represnative seems to imply that Star Trek would conflict with having the Star Wars theme.
Takal
Posted: Feb 17 2012, 03:12 PM

Toa of Thunder

Wait... KNex uses studs now?

Also, what are tinker toys and lincoln logs? I'm just an ignorant Brit, remember?

What's wrong with appealing to gamers as opposed to... say... trekkies and Star Wars fans? It's a niche that the target audience will appreciate being filled. Also, you can only do so much retro. It doesn't get old quickly, but when it does...

This post has been edited by Takal on Feb 17 2012, 03:12 PM
Adrninistrator
Posted: Feb 17 2012, 05:56 PM

Imatron

Knex has augmented their linup with stud based bricks now, as one exanple the mario kart. The LEGO Company mostly complains when the studs are identical, which is why you'l notice that the studs have a plus shapped logo and some other oddities on them.

Licoln Logs kind of emulate old worl log house building, and are usually made out of wood. Either the Knex company has always made them or theyve bought the rights to make them now. ...moowahahahaha I seeee you.

Tinkertoy is similar in nature to knex, using mostly a series of thin rods connected by wooden or plastic blocks with holes in them.
« Next Oldest | Toys and Collectibles | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1361 seconds | Archive