InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Forums Of Destiny. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, viewing certain forums, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

BIONICLE Fighter, Multiplayer platform fighting game
Katuko
Posted: Oct 6 2011, 10:35 PM

Matoran

Group: Members
Member No.: 213

user posted image
BIONICLE Fighter
Alpha version 11.0

Advanced multiplayer platform fighting game

Download link at the bottom of this post.
Click the thumbnails to see the full screenshots.
The archived topic can be found here.
For work-in-progress previews, check my Dropbox gallery.

Last updated: December 31st, 2012

Changes (11.0):

- Added Toa of Sonics primary power: Sound wave. A simple projectile attack which deals some extra damage to armor.
- Added Toa of Sonics secondary power: Supersonic. A quick wave of energy that passes through targets and ignores armor.
- Added Toa of Psionics Emanate ability: Telekinesis. Lift dropped weapons and gain them as familiars for a limited time.
- Spawn points will now normalize temperature as well as refilling HP and EP.

Bug fixes and engine tweaks:
- Reworked item HP mechanics. Taking damage now has less of an effect on equipped items, and using a weapon normally will no longer cause it to break.
- Reduced Nuva Armor damage reduction from 50% to 35% since armor now lasts so much longer.
- Armor now uses a dexterity penalty rather than costing a point to equip.
- Rebalanced Toa of Light primary attack to deal more damage and travel more quickly. Some new particle effects have been added. As a purely visual change, the attack now melts enemies rather than burning them as well.
- Disintegration beams have a chance of causing extra item damage rather than instantly destroying them.
- The Staff of Disintegration now has a proper sprite rather than being just a stick.

Introduction

From its start in late 2000 and to its almost-end in 2010, BIONICLE was one of my favorite series. I had, and still have, a great affection for the bio-mechanical beings that inhabit its universe. For several years, I've wanted to create a large-scale game based on BIONICLE. I've tried – and failed – twice in the past due to lack of sufficient programming skill. But now I'm back and ready, and I've gotten quite far already.

I therefore proudly present to you: my work-in-progress.

Note that I am making this game for you, fellow fans. Your feedback is very valuable to me. So please, if you enjoy this game: take a moment to post a reply.
It will be greatly appreciated! smile.gif

Character creation

user posted image

First out: the Toa, chosen heroes of the universe! Each Toa wields an elemental power, which allows them to control, create and absorb that element. Toa also wear Kanohi masks or helmets imbued with an additional power. Losing the mask, however, weakens the Toa. In this game, you will be able to select both your element and mask power, as well as picking a weapon from a wide selection. Some weapons have special powers of their own.

user posted image

The other playable race is one of the fiercest enemy types the Toa have encountered: the Rahkshi! They might be primarily empty shells of armor controlled by a leech-like creature, but Rahkshi have special powers of their own, most of them based on destruction or deception. Rahkshi can not absorb power from the environment like Toa can, nor can they use mask powers, but they make up for it with their powerful attacks and ability to fly at will. If a Rahkshi chooses to carry a staff imbued with their own power, they can increase their strength through that as well. Toa and Rahkshi with different powers can pick up a dropped Rahkshi Staff in order to use its power.

In addition to choosing between the two species and their many powers, you can also adjust the values of five different stats: Strength, vitality, dexterity, element and mind.
- Strength modifies the power of physical attacks and melee strikes.
- Vitality increases health and other related attributes.
- Dexterity determines run speed and jump height.
- Element modifies the power of special attacks.
- Mind relates to the amount of energy available as well as its recharge rate. Mask powers also benefit from the mind stat.

Current features

The engine is still being worked on. Most of the basics are in: Movement, terrain, the ability to customize. Weapons, items and powers are being worked on. All the powers have been indexed and given default colors, but not all have actual effects in gameplay.

- Play as either Toa or Rahkshi.

- Customize your character's powers, equipment, stats and color.

- Toa elements: Fire, air, earth, stone, ice, light, shadow, plasma, magnetism, lightning, iron.
- Rahkshi powers: Fear, disintegration, poison, fragmentation, hunger, chain lightning, teleportation, quick healing, plasma, magnetism, chameleon, laser vision, gravity.
- Mask powers: Shielding, levitation, speed, strength, invisibility, corrosion, regeneration, hunger, teleportation, truth.
- Weapon powers: Burn, freeze, stun, disarm, chainsaw, laser shot, armor piercing, Rahkshi powers, stat modifiers.

- Three main maps and three test maps. Proper maps: Karda Nui, with its giant stone pillars, straw hut village, Codrex, swarms of Nui-Rama and a boss; Mangaia, mostly a dark, flat cave at this point; and Ta-Koro: Village of Fire, with a large central platform and lethal lava on both sides. A stone fortress will soon be placed in this map.

- Various status effects (freeze, burn, poison, healing, gravity changes, temporary stat reductions, blind)

- Color customization, power and weapon selection, stat modification.
- Saving and loading of character files.
- Settings menu with customizable controls and music/sound toggle.
- Screenshot function (hit F9 to capture a screenshot and save it to the game folder)

- Battle AI enemies while you wait for the game's true purpose: Online multiplayer. wink.gif

Screenshots

v10.0: user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

v9.x: user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

v8.0:
Character creation menu
Rahkshi firing off Chain Lightning
A Toa of Fire accidentally hitting himself with a fireball
Onua, Toa of Earth, joins the fight
Draining the energy of enemies with a Rahkshi of Hunger
Turning an opponent to ash with a Fire Staff
Unleashing the power of Shadow
Preparing to teleport away from danger

More screens coming as we go! Feel free to submit your own via PM. smile.gif

Game trailer

http://www.vimeo.com...us/biofight090/

Download (45.64 MB ZIP)

user posted image

user posted image

IMPORTANT: After downloading, you must extract the files from the archive, otherwise the game will not work properly! Extracting is as simple as right-clicking the ZIP folder and selecting "Unzip", "Extract", or whatever your computer calls it. After you get the uncompressed files, you can safely delete the ZIP itself. To start the game, simply run the EXE file (the one with the proper game icon). Note that this game is made to run on Windows systems only (Vista and later); I can not guarantee that it will work with WINE or similar.

ALSO IMPORTANT: Do not change the folder structure, or some files will not load! The game itself must be in the same folder as any DLLs and INIs, and the music must be in a sub-folder. Moving stuff around will break the program. If you want a shortcut to the game, right-click the main EXE file and choose "select shortcut". Do not move the game file itself.

FAQ

http://pastehtml.com.../b9pxzfdk3.html

Credits

Main programmer and designer - Oskar A. Garshol (aka "Katuko" and "Noxious")
Additional ideas - Various BZP members (thanks for your support!)
Main spriter - "InnerRayg" (BZPower)
Additional sprites - Various BZP members (exact list being worked on)
Interface graphics - Oskar A. G.
Music and sound effects - Various artists, sounddogs.com (list coming)
Game Maker 8 - Mark Overmars and the YoYo Games team

This post has been edited by Katuko on Dec 31 2012, 05:44 PM
Matoro
Posted: Oct 7 2011, 09:53 AM

Birds R Awesome!

Member No.: 36

Oh cool! I'm going to download this, this weekend. I'll let you know what I think about it. From the screen shots and trailers. It looks like it is like Super Smash Bros. The trailer looks so neat, have you guys considering of making a campaign story version after your done making the multiplayer? I could see the player customization/rpg would be put to good use for campaign.

Also the graphics looks smooth and crisp 16-Bit! Good job! biggrin.gif
Katuko
Posted: Oct 7 2011, 10:56 AM

Matoran

It's similar to Smash Bros. on some levels but very, very different otherwise. (I had a more thorough description in my BZP topic, but I can't access that now to see all the other info I had stored there.) While both are platform fighting games, the major differences are:
- Health and energy are major factors. You do not fly farther based on remaining health, and you can not stay alive indefinitely. When you reach 0 HP, you die.
- Character customization. While every element will always have the same attacks, what equipment and what stats you choose will make your gameplay feel very different.

As I noted in the FAQ, I might make a campaign mode once this game is done, but for now the story and "missions" will be limited to "Oh hey, we got a hostile Rahkshi, better go maim it." tongue.gif

The graphics are actually a lot more than "mere" 16-bit, but that's mostly due to the maps, which I've spent some time on in Photoshop. I managed to crash my "lesser" graphics programs while working on Karda Nui, since that map is 13000+ pixels wide. The game should still run fine, though, as the background has been split up in pieces and that takes a huge load off your computer.
Matoro
Posted: Oct 9 2011, 05:51 AM

Birds R Awesome!

I played the game, and here are my thoughts:
Lots of glitches:
- When player gets killed one time, on the death counter it says "18 deaths," so at the end I can't tell how many true kills and deaths I made. Its random at times.
- Sometimes spawn as the wimpy default red fire character.
- Get stuck at times between " < " shaped rocks.

Can be over powered at times:
I think you could work on the balance of the elements. For example, Element ice toa will keep on freezing the dude, then put him on fire with a fire staff. That is over-powered xD. I suggest maybe limiting weapon choices for classes to avoid cheap kills?

Other than that, I can't see any other flaws.
Overall, I enjoyed the alpha game. Animations run smooth, frontground environments looks awesome! Adding some background would be nice too. Like having a forest, mountains, or beach, etc other than having a pale blue backround.

But yeah, I like the customization options the best! Figuring out which type of playstyle I am in. It was kind of difficult though trying to make a less-overpowered toa. But I managed to do it.
Yeah, I like owning noobs. But if I have the best equipment, it is not much of a challenge.
Katuko
Posted: Oct 9 2011, 10:00 AM

Matoran

- Over the course of several releases (as you can probably tell from "v.9" in the title) I have never seen the death counter problem myself, so that one surprised me a bit. I'll look into it.
- Spawning as default is a glitch I know of from other playtesters, but again: I have been unable to replicate it myself and thus can't really fix it yet. I'm planning to replace the spawn system I'm currently using with a better one, however. Maybe that will fix it.
- Ah, I thought I had eliminated those places. For the record, it happens if you get knocked down and then slide into a small space. When your Toa stand back up, they get stuck because their "hit box" is now larger again. Rahkshi don't have this problem.

I know the player is usually overpowered, but it's hard to say how much of it is due to the powers themselves and how much is due to the enemy bots being incompetent. laugh.gif On one hand, that Fireball will definitely get nerfed somehow, most likely by removing the knockdown force from it (making it simply deal damage and ignite instead). On the other hand, bots are too simple to even try and dodge it, and they will jump off cliffs to reach you even when they have no flight ability available.

I agree with the freeze-spam, it can be annoying. Looking back I'm not sure why I haven't done it already (*cough* laziness biggrin.gif), but in another game I was making I fixed the "freeze-lock" issue by making people unable to be frozen twice in a row, and also have less chance of freezing at all if they were recently frozen. Possibly I could make the ice attacks not use "random freeze" at all, but simply lower the victim's temperature gauge until they freeze that way. We'll see.

I was planning to add some decent backgrounds to the levels, but for each "layer" it will take just as long as the foreground did. Since a map already takes some time, I haven't used anything but scrolling textures for backgrounds yet.

I'm glad you enjoy the customization, as that is the thing I've felt has been missing from most BIONICLE games. The Voya Nui Online Game was a nice step in the right direction, I felt, but it was plagued by long fetch-quests and "missing" special powers (the masks were just stat boosts) that made it less enjoyable. I tried to make this game use as much of canon as possible. I might even add in more species in the future, if I get the sprites for them.

I won't limit equipment selection, but rather try and make everything balanced with each other. A daunting task, but I feel confident that I can do it with the feedback I get from players. It would be easier if I just got the online part up and running, though, that way I could see how each power works when everyone is exploiting it as much as they can. tongue.gif
Matoro
Posted: Oct 10 2011, 06:32 AM

Birds R Awesome!

You should post your progress on that Bionicle figher game on indiedb.com to get some 'likes' and awareness for your game. It looks like a legit indie game that could go in there.
Katuko
Posted: Oct 11 2011, 07:57 AM

Matoran

Maybe but I'm kind of scared of that. tongue.gif I don't feel this game meets the proper standards yet.
Letoki
Posted: Oct 12 2011, 03:47 AM

The guy who can't think of a member title

Member No.: 175

I have to say, this is one of the best fan-made games I've played in a while.
The gameplay solid, music sick, and the visuals...oh man the visuals. tongue.gif
My only complaint is that the attacking animation is kinda slow. Oh well.
I love the particles in this game, I've always want to learn how to use particles but I could never get them to work. Where did you learn how to get them to work?

This post has been edited by Letoki on Oct 12 2011, 03:47 AM
Katuko
Posted: Oct 12 2011, 05:38 AM

Matoran

First off: Thank you. smile.gif

The attack animations feels pretty quick to me. It was slower before, but then I boosted it somewhat. Since it only takes 3 or 4 frames to hit someone, I'm not sure how much faster I can make it without it becoming a simple "jolt" of movement instead of an animation.

Particles are indeed delicious, and also very simple. The manual tells you all of what you need to know, really, and if not the people over at the Game Maker Community are usually very helpful. Just remember to search the forum for your answer before asking, since people usually get tired of answering the same thing over and over. Particles are one of the more common topics. I also got this little Particle Designer app from the download section that is very useful for visualizing my effects. The thing can then export to code; though you still need to apply it properly to the game yourself.

Quick tips:
- Never make more particle systems than you really need.
- Only initialize the system and emitters once. I've seen people put the "create particle system" code in the Step event, meaning that it clogs memory in seconds.
Matoro
Posted: Oct 12 2011, 03:17 PM

Birds R Awesome!

You should add a effect in there when you attack an enemy, their gears and axles start flying off, instead of blood like in most games. *I like gory games* biggrin.gif
Letoki
Posted: Oct 12 2011, 08:06 PM

QUOTE (Matoro @ Oct 12 2011, 03:17 PM)
You should add a effect in there when you attack an enemy, their gears and axles start flying off, instead of blood like in most games. *I like gory games* biggrin.gif

^
That's a good idea.
Takal
Posted: Oct 13 2011, 04:36 PM

Toa of Thunder

Group: Forum Administrator
Member No.: 11

That idea reminds me of a PS2 game I used to play... But anyway, the game doesn't work for me. Besides the laptop being too slow and lacking the required graphics card, my "good" computer is clinically dead. Ah, well...
Katuko
Posted: Oct 13 2011, 06:29 PM

Matoran

@Matoro, Letoki: I was going to add ragdolls sooner or later, in addition to the burn/melt/disintegrate effects that are already there. These ragdolls could then be blown apart, similarly to how explosions will turn a burn victim into a spray of ashes. I'm reluctant to add "gibs" before a character is truly dead, since there's already a lot of effects flying around. It might become too cluttered, since gears wouldn't glow like the other effects do.

@Takal: Sad to hear that. I'm developing the game on a 3-year old laptop, so I had hoped most would able to play it. Of course, differences in both hardware and software can mean that some

Here's the BZP topic for this game, by the way: http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=327963
It's not updated since the forums are still offline, but there are some old screenshots, a more comprehensive list of features, an FAQ page and a "what you can do" section that you might find interesting. I can't be bothered to copy it over here right now. tongue.gif
Takal
Posted: Oct 13 2011, 08:11 PM

Toa of Thunder

Group: Forum Administrator
Member No.: 11

I may or may not have forgotten to unzip. Will try again.
Letoki
Posted: Oct 13 2011, 11:20 PM

Ragdolls? Do you have a way to do that? I seached the Internet before looking for a method to make ragdollss and some people said that ragsolls were impossible. If you do, that would be really cool.
Katuko
Posted: Oct 13 2011, 11:25 PM

Matoran

@Takal: Yeah, that would be a problem. tongue.gif

@Letoki: Ragdolls are a bit tricky, but they are definitely possible. Whomever told you otherwise clearly don't know what they are talking about. smile.gif You can do almost anything in Game Maker, though speed and complexity is the main issue.

Reload system? No problem.
Simple 3D? Works.
Physics simulation? Can be heavy on the resources, but sure.
Ragdolls? Complex, but they work as well.

This post has been edited by Katuko on Oct 13 2011, 11:26 PM
Matoro
Posted: Oct 14 2011, 03:58 PM

Birds R Awesome!

Wouldn't rag doll physics lag the game and make it slower? I don't know if its just me but, I played games before that had awful graphics, but had physics and it lagged. Then I played a game that had decent graphics, and it played smoothly.

Plus didn't you say that this will be played over the internet? If so, the lag would be caused by rag doll effects. :/ Does it?
Katuko
Posted: Oct 14 2011, 04:40 PM

Matoran

Yes, it could easily lag if overdone. Luckily 2D ragdolls require less processing power, and if I skimp on the actual physics they will still look limp but not put a strain on resources. Player characters already got dozens of variables being updated all the time. A few positions for ragdoll limbs shouldn't have much of an effect (hopefully).

In most online games, ragdoll data usually isn't synced between players, precicely to avoid unnecessary strain on the system. VALVe's Source engine is a prime example of this. Sometimes people will mock dead players by shooting or crouching over their corpse. However, often you will see them shoot the ground besides the corpse, or not being near the corpse at all because it fell off a ledge or something. What has happened then is that the ragdoll physics have acted differently from each other. On your screen, the ragdoll fell off the ledge. On their screen, it's still on the ground and is reacting to their gunshots.

In any case: If it causes too many problems I'll just ditch the effect anyways. smile.gif
Adrninistrator
Posted: Oct 26 2011, 02:22 PM

Imatron

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

It looks like all your screenshots are running now, so if you have no objection Id like to get this on our news page.
Katuko
Posted: Oct 26 2011, 02:37 PM

Matoran

Oh no, by all means, go ahead. biggrin.gif

Publicity means I might get some word done due to the pressure as well.
Adrninistrator
Posted: Oct 27 2011, 03:55 AM

Imatron

So many pictures to code, this may take a bit longer than I thought XP

Update; Its posted here:

http://maskofdestiny.com/story/front/BIONI...hter_141423.asp
Katuko
Posted: Oct 28 2011, 09:01 PM

Matoran

Thanks, mate! smile.gif

Quick comment, though: You misspelled "friend" in the front-page post. By the way, here's my new BZP topic:
http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=418

Not to steal members from this site, but this topic seems to have died somewhat. I'll still keep it updated with new versions, though, don't you worry.
Shadrahk
Posted: Oct 28 2011, 09:06 PM

Shadpony. Element of Shadness.

Member No.: 72

I doubt it'd steal members. tongue.gif

Were all on BZP anyway.
Adrninistrator
Posted: Oct 29 2011, 02:34 AM

Imatron

Should be corrected soon, and Ill add in the new BZP link.
Katuko
Posted: Nov 12 2011, 02:45 PM

Matoran

New version out. Fixes a few issues with the previous version and tweaks several statistics. Adds option for turning bots and other AI enemies on/off. Minor graphical changes.

I promised i wouldn't forget about this despite BZP being back up, but ironically enough BZP went down again just as I was about to post there first. tongue.gif
Matoro
Posted: Nov 18 2011, 06:59 PM

Birds R Awesome!

I saw your game, highest rated out of all the Bionicle games in YoYo games. biggrin.gif
Katuko
Posted: Nov 18 2011, 09:15 PM

Matoran

Ah, that reminds me: I need to upload version 9 there.
fire
Posted: Jan 6 2012, 02:18 AM

The Ruler of the Void

Member No.: 246

YOUR GAME IS AMAZING!

When Will you make it multiplayer
Katuko
Posted: Jan 6 2012, 02:08 PM

Matoran

First: Thank you. biggrin.gif

I can't really say when multiplayer will be available, as I'm doing lots of things at once here and I'm not fluent in net code at all. I won't be setting any deadline for it.

Here are my BZP blog posts on updates. I tend to forget posting them here, so BZP is the best source of news on it.
fire
Posted: Jul 25 2012, 04:25 PM

The Ruler of the Void

Member No.: 246

The is a glitch if u use the huna to turn invisible an then change to anothe mask u will stay invisible.
« Next Oldest | My BIONICLE® MultiMedia | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2391 seconds | Archive