zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to the Mask Of Destiny Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, viewing certain forums, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Hero Factory, What's your opinion?
SuperNuva
Posted: Jul 27 2011, 03:49 PM

Bionigeek

Group: Members
Member No.: 194

Love the story? Hate it? Don't care? Post your opinion here!
Matoro
  Posted: Jul 27 2011, 05:29 PM

Birds R Awesome!

Member No.: 36

I am a little disappointed in Hero Factory kind of a little bit. They are missing axles, pins, and gears to make them more interactable. It kind of downgraded in gear-function, but upgraded when it comes to flexibility.

This post has been edited by Matoro on Jan 22 2013, 04:36 AM
Iro the Dude
Posted: Jul 27 2011, 11:33 PM

Spirit of Iron

Member No.: 130

It's pretty fun. I like it better than Bionicle, I'd say. No wonkily proportioned figures, for the most part, and everything looks nice. Also, since I own the sets, I can vouch for the fact that there are pins and axles in addition to the ball joint build. Sure, maybe not a ton unless you buy the Witch Doctor, but they're there.
Letoki
Posted: Jul 28 2011, 09:34 PM

The guy who can't think of a member title

Member No.: 175

Dislike. The story is so generic, which for me is a very important part. Bionicle's story was so immersive, but HF's is just... Its a shame to see such a step down. Sets though are OK, I GUESS...
Adrninistrator
Posted: Jul 29 2011, 12:56 AM

Imatron

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

So far I love the parts, I just wish they'd make the armor less streamlined and have some more form fitting armor that allowed for better limb movement. Ive also got more than 300 of the arm extender parts, the pickabrick at my local LEGO Store didnt put up a part limit sign on it, moowahahahaha. The story could use alot of work, but the DVD I bought of the TV special had the heroes demonstrate admirable values that younger audiences could benefit from.
SuperNuva
Posted: Jul 31 2011, 03:20 AM

Bionigeek

Member No.: 194

I like the new building system, but I hate how they have parts that are pretty much only good for that specific set. I don't like the story either.
Mesonak
Posted: Jul 31 2011, 08:43 AM

Matoran

Member No.: 109

I like it. Gears are overrated, I never liked them anyways (exceptions: Bohrok and titans). They hindered posability extremely and the swinging-arm feature was lackluster at best (Mata, Nuva, Rahkshi, etc.) I'm glad gears aren't used anymore.

As for technic pinx I'm glad HF continues to manage to use technic extensively in its titans and a small bit in its villains, but I prefer the new building system by far when compared to the old. I suppose it's a breath of fresh air considering how many years we had to use the Inika-template. I'll tire of it after a while.

The parts are amazing and have definitley enriched my MoC-making. Best part is the sockets don't break, unlike BIONICLE.

As far as the story, I think it does good for what it's intended to do; allow kids to create their own stories to accompany their figures, while providing, at the same time, a solid narrative. HF's story isn't going to win any awards, but I don't think it's as horrible as everyone makes it out to be.

Plus, as long as BIONICLE sticks around in the form of the serials, I'll be fine.

-Mesonak
Iro the Dude
Posted: Jul 31 2011, 07:45 PM

Spirit of Iron

QUOTE (Mesonak @ Jul 31 2011, 12:43 AM)
Plus, as long as BIONICLE sticks around in the form of the serials, I'll be fine.

-Mesonak

Aren't those like dead in the ground at this point, though? Have we had an update at all in the past few months?
Mesonak
Posted: Jul 31 2011, 11:27 PM

Matoran

Member No.: 109

Sahmad's Tale concluded a few weeks ago, but asides from that, nope. You have to wonder what happened to make updates so scarce. I know GregF's wife recently had a child, so that obviously is a major contributor, but still.

-Mesonak
kv195
Posted: Oct 10 2011, 01:19 AM

Matoran

Member No.: 215

I dont like it, really. Tv show is good, but i just dont like it, im going back to buying bionicles and reading/trying to draw em.
Katuko
Posted: Oct 11 2011, 07:39 AM

Matoran

Member No.: 213

I can't bring myself to care. People keep talking about how it's a replacement for BIONICLE or something, when all it is is a new line of sets. Slizers, Roboriders, BIONICLE, Hero Factory. Different themes, different stories, different sets. The only thing they really have in common is the parts used, and that can be said for most LEGO lines.

Judging from a look at the set they don't bring anything interesting to the table. They may look decent, but they lack a lot of little things that I enjoyed with LEGO when I was younger:
- The joy of building (now it's snap-snap-snap done)
- The ability to customize (giant torso pieces aren't easy to work with)
- Posing and playing (Stiff elbows? Oh noooo!)

I don't buy sets anymore, and I don't follow the HF story at all (I barely know the basics), but that's my thoughts, at least.
Shadowed Noxus
Posted: Apr 1 2012, 04:19 AM

Oh he who seeks power...

Member No.: 256

Greetings. I'm new here, but I recently ended up getting myself back into Bionicle the other day by finding a crate of parts in my closet and making my OC again.

Anywho...I found myself here, because I used to be a member of BZP a very long time ago.

I have to say, that I don't really enjoy the Hero Factory sets at all. I like some of the newer parts, but I'm not into the story or the characters of the Hero Factory universe. It's just...it's not BIONICLE you see. I was really into Bionicle up until the Voya Nui saga, but I kept with the storyline and I have to say, for something so complex and well written, Hero Factory makes a mockery of what LEGO created a while back with BIONICLE.

The only reason I'd buy Hero Factory sets (unfortunately I don't due to financing issues, as LEGOs are expensive) would be for the parts in them, which I'd use to make traditional BIONICLE styled sets.
Takal
Posted: Apr 1 2012, 08:40 PM

Toa of Thunder

Group: Forum Administrator
Member No.: 11

QUOTE (Shadowed Noxus @ Apr 1 2012, 04:19 AM)
Greetings. I'm new here, but I recently ended up getting myself back into Bionicle the other day by finding a crate of parts in my closet and making my OC again.

Anywho...I found myself here, because I used to be a member of BZP a very long time ago.

I have to say, that I don't really enjoy the Hero Factory sets at all. I like some of the newer parts, but I'm not into the story or the characters of the Hero Factory universe. It's just...it's not BIONICLE you see. I was really into Bionicle up until the Voya Nui saga, but I kept with the storyline and I have to say, for something so complex and well written, Hero Factory makes a mockery of what LEGO created a while back with BIONICLE.

The only reason I'd buy Hero Factory sets (unfortunately I don't due to financing issues, as LEGOs are expensive) would be for the parts in them, which I'd use to make traditional BIONICLE styled sets.

Yes.

So much yes. At everything below the "used to be on BZP."

Also, hi.
Shadowed Noxus
Posted: Apr 2 2012, 11:21 PM

Oh he who seeks power...

Heh, hello.

But yeah, thanks for seeing my view on that. It just isn't the same. And I really hope BIONICLE kicks off again.

Takal
Posted: Apr 3 2012, 09:43 PM

Toa of Thunder

Well, that seems unlikely, for the time being. And I think that they should hold off for a while, if LEGO does intend to bring it back. After all, we don't want them to rush it. Again.
Shadowed Noxus
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 01:13 AM

Oh he who seeks power...

True is that.
Matoro
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 03:58 AM

Birds R Awesome!

What I really want is LEGO to bring back those Roboriders and Disc Slizers. Those guys where pretty cool.
If LEGO did bring back Bionicle. I don't think it quite be the same.

This post has been edited by Matoro on Jan 22 2013, 04:38 AM
Shadowed Noxus
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 04:52 AM

Oh he who seeks power...

Oh man, Robo Riders and Disk Slicers. What a flashback to my childhood. I had all of them, but now their parts are scattered in that bin of Bionicle that I have.

Yeah. Also, I hate to be the Nostalgic guy, but I wonder what would happen if they released the old sets with newer parts. Reintroducing the storyline from the beginning, and giving us a chance to collect the original heros again, along with their challenges. The reason this is brought up is because of the Bionicle Stars thing that went on. When they reverted Tahu back to his original form, I thought to myself, "This is a wonderful idea. I like the simplicity, the retro style of it. Why not make the rest of the gang just to do it?"

Of course, then again, one could always do that on one's own behalf...
Iro the Dude
Posted: Apr 4 2012, 10:27 PM

Spirit of Iron

QUOTE (Matoro @ Apr 3 2012, 07:58 PM)
Transformers is a good example. Back in the 80's it was awesome! Now the story just sucks, today. :/

Okay, so I had to log in for the first time in forever to make a (not so) quick rebuttal on this statement.

All right, so Transformers in the eighties was cool because it was (seemingly) this new concept, and also because the target audience was five to ten years old. Now, in hindsight, both the comics and original cartoon don't do much aside from the nostalgia factor. The problem with them was that there weren't many fully established characters (compared to the tons of characters they introdumped on us); the good guys were good and the bad guys were bad. The Decepticons were beaten in every episode, and the Autobots suffered no ill fortune until the movie in '86 when the original cast had a huge renovation done by killing off the '84-'85 Autobots.

From there, nothing really improved. Stuff just happened; there was no overarching plot for someone like me to really invest time into. Not to mention the animation quality was inconsistent and the toys were horrible by today's standards (compare Runabout to his modern-day counterpart).

Now, the Japanese followups (The Headmasters, Masterforce, and Victory) were much better in their smaller casts and plots, but let's face it - if you grew up in the US during this time, Transformers "ended" after "The Rebirth" and you had no idea about these sequels, which were actually really good and quirky.

So when Transformers became relevant again in the mid-nineties with Beast Wars and Beast Machines, a new direction was taken, one that allowed for coherent plots and developed characters. From there, I would dare say the brand learned that this was a good way to attract older kids. Of course, Robots in Disguise really ended up following the G1 model (but the animation style was great, I thought), and then the Unicron Trilogy... well, existed, but after the Trilogy (which really was the victim of terrible dubbing and bad animation versus bad story), HasTak "got it right."

And finally, I can understand not necessarily liking Prime, but to say it's a worse story than the G1 series is a bit... silly, to say the least. It's got the depth and character development of the western Beast-era series (not to mention the cast is relatively small for being about thirty episodes in), the newness of any series, and the fan-service of Animated. So to say that it "just sucks" is a bit of a stretch when you praise a series that was plagued with continuity errors, normal errors, inferior toys, and little-to-no plot.[/justsayin']

Also, the point of CUUSOO is to submit new ideas for new sets, not really themes and "bring this back because I like it." Submissions that are full-on themes or "Bring Theme Back" likely were removed because they don't follow the guidelines of what Lego's looking for for fan submissions.

Also also, I like Hero Factory, though this is gonna be my last year collecting since I can't afford supporting multiple collections of different geek things. You know, unless Hero Factory's 2013 lineup is really impressive.

This post has been edited by Iro the Dude on Apr 4 2012, 10:29 PM
Keiria
Posted: Dec 9 2012, 05:30 PM

Toa

Member No.: 296

I think that the Hero Factory sets aren't bad (since Glatorian pieces are so fragile, not to mention I have all the Breez figures), but, like my sis says, the storyline isn't very good, so when I play with my sis, we just make up our own story.
Onua39
Posted: Jan 7 2013, 09:15 PM

Toa of Telepathy!

Member No.: 294

Hate it! Hate it! Hate it! If you know me on this site you know i HATE HF. angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif Hate the pieces! Hate the storyline. If it is HF i'm a big bubble of HATE!
Ninja
Posted: Jan 21 2013, 06:07 PM

Toa

Member No.: 298

QUOTE (Onua39 @ Jan 7 2013, 09:15 PM)
Hate it! Hate it! Hate it! If you know me on this site you know i HATE HF. angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif Hate the pieces! Hate the storyline. If it is HF i'm a big bubble of HATE!

Posts like this make me ashamed to be a BIONICLE fan.
Adrninistrator
Posted: Jan 22 2013, 01:12 AM

Imatron

Hate it! Hate it! Hate it! If you know me on this site you know i HATE potatoes. angry.gif  angry.gif  angry.gif Hate the taste! Hate the texture. If it is potatoes i'm a big bubble of HATE!

Posts like this make me ashamed to be a carrot fan.

Doesnt look like such bad way to express his opinion, its not like he's calling us stupid for liking it, he just doesnt like it and hes giving us an idea of how much.
Matoro
Posted: Jan 22 2013, 04:40 AM

Birds R Awesome!

QUOTE (Adrninistrator @ Jan 22 2013, 01:12 AM)

Hate it! Hate it! Hate it! If you know me on this site you know i HATE potatoes. angry.gif  angry.gif  angry.gif Hate the taste! Hate the texture. If it is potatoes i'm a big bubble of HATE!

Posts like this make me ashamed to be a carrot fan.

Doesnt look like such bad way to express his opinion, its not like he's calling us stupid for liking it, he just doesnt like it and hes giving us an idea of how much.

Thanks Onua, I 'changed' my opinions on my posts in this topic to be 'more open-minded' ;-)
maxthethrax
Posted: Jan 22 2013, 07:41 AM

The master of the Bohrok Swarms

Member No.: 271

I like it.Why do anyone hate's it?
Takal
Posted: Jan 22 2013, 09:54 AM

Toa of Thunder

If it's any insight, Max, the reasons I dislike Hero factory is the repetitive, simplistic builds and the armour (like that gap on their backs).

I don't hate it, but it's all the stuff I think Bionicle did right (until the Inika torso stagnation) turned back on it. There are some nice weapon moulds, though. HF's weapons are consistantly good. Shame about the guys holding them.
Ninja
Posted: Jan 22 2013, 03:52 PM

Toa

I didn't mean the fact he doesn't like HF. I meant overuse of the word 'hate', complete lack of argumentation and overall immaturity of that post.

But frankly I do prefer HF over most of the BIONICLE sets released after 2004.
Adrninistrator
Posted: Jan 22 2013, 11:46 PM

Imatron

I knew what you ment, I was trying to switch out what was being "hated" in the quote to try and show that it wasnt really that bad, if you heard the same thing being said about a vegetable, would it really be that bad?

complete lack of argumentation
He gave two things he hated about it, parts and story, he may not have written an essay about it, but his argument is there, even if its brief.

overall immaturity of the post.

It doesnt look so immature to me, I see what you mean but it just registers to me as a way to convey on the scale of 1 to 10, he hates it all the way to ten. Also keep in mind hes quite a bit younger than the average member, thats not a get away free card if he starts causing trouble, but this is a fan site for toys aimed at kids as young as 7, we cant expect him to have the same level of articulation.

But frankly I do prefer HF over most of the BIONICLE sets released after 2004.

I agree, while the Inika were great at first, they got overused instead of something new and interesting being swapped in. The Hero Factory 2.0 was spectacular, at least inway of new parts to augment my Bionicle MOCs and the potential the bone system offerered, but they are biggining to do the same thing. I really wish theyd swap out the basic 2.0 armor for something else, and maybe pop in a more interesting play feature to the bodies themselves. I especialy like the gun arm part and the handcuffs, the handcuffs being something I think should be a Hero Factory standard, but they seem to have been retired already. I hope the next batch has a more significant change, personaly Id like to see more solid torsos with an interchangable core that lights up when you pop it in.
Ninja
Posted: Jan 23 2013, 08:18 PM

Toa

Am I the only person here who dislikes the Inika? I think they look like some kind of angry radioactive zombies instead of noble heroes Toa are supposed to be.
Matoro
Posted: Jan 23 2013, 11:57 PM

Birds R Awesome!

QUOTE (Ninja @ Jan 23 2013, 08:18 PM)
Am I the only person here who dislikes the Inika? I think they look like some kind of angry radioactive zombies instead of noble heroes Toa are supposed to be.

The only thing I didn't like about the Inika sets at the time, were the faceless heads. But at the same time, they provided interesting moc pieces if your building something light green. As for their masks, I think they were supposed to be that way since Greg described it very organic-like.

This post has been edited by Matoro on Jan 24 2013, 05:08 AM
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2613 seconds | Archive