InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Forums Of Destiny. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, viewing certain forums, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Exo-Toa, Review of the 2002 set
Luke
Posted: Sep 7 2009, 07:07 AM

Bohrok

Group: Members
Member No.: 9

I have decided to do a review of one of my favorite sets of all time, the Exo-Toa.

user posted image

Alright, so the Exo-Toa was released in the Summer of 2002. The main draw behind this set was the ability to put an actual Toa Mata or Toa Nuva inside the suit of armor. I will get to that later, but for now let's have a look at the packaging.

user posted image

On the front we get a basic look of the set with a slight angle. The light in the background makes for a good allover look to the design. It's not too crazy, but it's a good representation of what you will be getting with the actual set.

user posted image

On the back there is a main diagram showcasing the two arms and their features. On the bottom left is a picture telling the customer that this set can be combined with a Toa. On the right of that is the alternate model that can be made, a interesting looking creature. It is common knowledge that the alternate models are created so that the set will have more versatility, but I have to say that the look of this creature did not give me enough motivation to actually build it.

Now on to the actual set.

user posted image

Left side view

Right side view

Back view

It's hard to argue with the fact that this a pretty awesome looking set. cool.gif The construction is clever and the color scheme is great. The slight hints of orange really complete the look of the set. The only quip I have with the construction is the posability, particularly in the legs. The posability of the arms is passable, but the legs prohibit any good poses. They are only able to spin around and move up and down. There is no way to move them side to side or move the feet. This is annoying, especially if you are the kind of person who loves to pose their sets in cool ways. However, the overall quality of this set easily makes up for this shortcoming.

The biggest draw for this set is the ability to place a Toa inside it.

user posted image

To do this, you simple press the orange piece on the Exo-Toa's stomach, tilt the head back and place a Toa inside.

user posted image

In order to get a Toa Mata to fit you must only remove their elemental tool. However, for a Toa Nuva you must remove the tools, shoulder armor, and chest plate. It is very possible to keep the chest plate on though, as I have done here:

user posted image

The Toa look much more awesome when placed inside, and this feature really enhances the fun that you can have with this set.

The best features of this set are actually the arms. Both have unique functions that really give the Exo-Toa a large amount of playablility

user posted image

On the right we have an interesting looking arm with some Gali Mata hooks on the end. This arm is actually able to make a punching motion when pressed down on. This punch is fairly powerful and will be able to knock down any unsuspecting Toa.

user posted image

On the left we have the rocket launcher. This projectile can be fired by simple pressing back on the black piece on top. In my opinion this is best projectile system that has been put on a Bionicle. It fires well and goes a long distance.

user posted image

In conclusion, I honestly think this is one of the best titan sets in the history of Bionicle. The idea of an exterior suit of armor is still pretty awesome even seven years later. The posibility isn't the best, but cool poses aren't needed to make this guy look great. I highly suggest you pick this guy up on eBay or wherever else you can find him if you get the chance.

Also, if you want me to do any other reviews of "classic" sets, just ask.

This post has been edited by Luke on Sep 7 2009, 07:11 AM
Monasti
Posted: Sep 7 2009, 03:55 PM

Toa Nuva

Group: Mernbers
Member No.: 24

Yeah Luke, do some more.

That was a good review. Are its knees able to bend?
Luke
Posted: Sep 7 2009, 04:51 PM

Bohrok

Thanks, and sadly, no.
EmperorWhenua
Posted: Sep 7 2009, 09:17 PM

Former Admin

Member No.: 6

Thanks for making me wish I got it. Again. tongue.gif

Oh, and nice review, BTW.

~EW~
hoorj
Posted: Sep 22 2009, 05:04 PM

Matoran

Group: Banned
Member No.: 27

Due to it's lack of leg movement I think I'll pass this one up.

The projectile system does look promising and I believe it has been used in other Technic sets...

Can anyone tell me if it's been used in a more recent set?

This post has been edited by Kokua aviatrix on Nov 3 2009, 12:15 PM
Luke
Posted: Sep 22 2009, 08:46 PM

Bohrok

I don't think it has been used in any recent sets, but it was commonly used on other sets that came out around the same era as this set.
Adrninistrator
Posted: Oct 5 2009, 02:51 AM

Imatron

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

A bunch of the sets out now still have them I think, and a great deal of sets have had them since the bionicle Exo toa did. I know at least two of the sets where Ogel was the villain with the transforming vehicles had them. So did a LEGO batman or two.

The launcher is pretty good, but the midaks are considerably better in some regards to this one shot cannon.
Matoro
Posted: Oct 30 2009, 03:28 AM

Birds R Awesome!

Member No.: 36

Lots of great small MOC pieces of the set. But I don't like the gray color scheme though. I can't think of anything you can use gray for. Unless its going to be like the Toa Metru (where their secondary color is gray). Hmmm. I might consider buying this set off from a friend.

Later On...
Ok. I bought this used set for 37 dollers. I'm not sure if was even worth the price. Was I ripped off or something? By how much. I might try to get my money back.

This post has been edited by Matoro on Nov 4 2009, 04:05 AM
« Next Oldest | Member Review Database | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0867 seconds | Archive