InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Forums Of Destiny. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, viewing certain forums, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Set # 8987: Kiina, From the 2009 Glatorian Legends
Doctor Bob
Posted: Jul 17 2010, 01:54 AM

The Village Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 110

Hello, everybody. In this topic, I'll be reviewing the 2009 Glatorian Legends canister set, Kiina. This is the first review I've ever conducted, so try to bare with me XD.

I'll have to admit- the only reason that I bought Kiina was because she was on sale on Lego Shop-at-Home for around nine dollars. Since the first Bionicle I ever purchased was a Toa of water, why not have the last Bionicle I ever buy be a water Toa, right?

Ok, on to the actual review:

Initial Impressions:

Two days after my order, my doorbell rang. Just as the UPS truck drove away, I peeked outside my door (a rather humorous sight: I'm very tall and sixteen years old) and lo and behold: a small cardboard box was sitting on the doorstep. Upon snatching up the package, I noticed something odd- the box almost seemed weightless. No way I think to myself, giving it a shake. To my relief, I was greeted with the all too familiar sound of rattling Bionicle pieces.

Running up to my room, I prepared all of the equipment needed to take pictures for this review and ripped open the Lego Shop-at-Home box to reveal a pretty impressively sized canister:

user posted image
Kiina's Canister
user posted image
Hey! Copying BIO Codes online is cheating! tongue.gif

As you can see, the front of the image shows Kiina standing in front of a bright white pattern wielding a "Dual-Headed Vapor Trident" and a Thornax Launcher. The back shows all of the Glatorian Legends sets, some (including Kiina herself) of which starred in "The Legend Reborn," as well as the usual legal mumbo-jumbo and the BIO Code.

The image of Kiina on the canister didn't impress me much; because of her overall oddness and lankiness, she wasn't very appealing as a water Toa (or Glatorian)... Or practically anything. Kind of looked like a hybrid between a Toa and a Matoran: too skinny and small-framed to be a Toa and too tall and well-armed to be a Matoran... So judging from the front, what would we call her? A Moa? I dunno...

To make things even worse, my eyes fell upon something that lessened my interest even more: 43 pieces. For a thirteen dollar price tag, that's a pretty hefty price, so I'm really glad that I only bought her for $9. Usually also means a short and unexciting building experience as well. I supposed that only time could tell.

Unboxing:

user posted image
And what do we have here?

After observing the impressive canister with a not-very-impressive depiction of our only female Glatorian, I pried the lid off and dumped out the pieces. I was initially pretty surprised, because I haven't been "loyal" to the Bionicle franchise since the Mistika. Included with the box were actual hands.

Also included with the hands were a healthy assortment of new-ish parts from what I could tell. The upper "leg" and "arm" now had a plus-rod connection located on the part's side with two pin holes to either side of it. Also included were recolored Inika feet, (now in light blue biggrin.gif) her Vapor Tridents, helmet, fin-like armor pieces, the "power wheel" accessory for the new battle game, and the new Thornax Launcher with one rubbery projectile with a plastic band around it. Come on, Lego. If you're going to make a set with only 43 pieces, at least give us two of the darn things; I almost lost mine twice, and I've only had the set for a couple of hours (or maybe I'm just klutzy).

user posted image
The bundle of bluishness
user posted image
The newer pieces (Thornax not included XD)
user posted image
Kiina's mask, complete with a color fail beneath her right eye

Upon dumping out the set's parts 'n such, I also noticed how tiny the head was. I mean, really: this think would have looked more at home perched on the shoulders of a 2001 McToran, let alone a Toa about five times its size. It also kind of reminds me of Iron Man. A very stern Iron Man.

user posted image
"I am the head of the long-lost Green Iron Man! Fear me and my stern-ness!"

Building Experience

From the box, it's obvious that Kiina isn't built around the over-over-over-over abused Inika Torso, but it was still surprising, almost shocking, to be building a Bionicle that didn't have that all too common part. Just that fact alone made building the rather small torso piece about ten times as enjoyable as it should have been for some odd reason, but hey, you have to admit that it would be refreshing just to build something that was new... Right?

user posted image
Hmm... Now what might this odd contraption turn out to be?
user posted image
It's a new torso design!!! *head explodes*

Unfortunately for us, the rest of the build is basically the same thing that you've been building for the past four (five?) years. But the new armor parts and the previous refreshing build may potentially lessen the impact of the monotony. At least it did for me.

user posted image
A Toa in progress...
user posted image
Kiina's basic structure, without any spiffy accessories
user posted image
"I'm gonna kill Doctor Bob for making fun of my head!"

...And before too long, you'll have one completed Kiina on your desk... or table... or car seat... or maybe even your bathroom sink. I don't know where you guys like to build your new Bionicles, but I prefer my desk... Or was it my bathtub? ninja.gif

user posted image
Toa (or Glatorian) Kiina in her finished form
user posted image
Closeup
user posted image
Back
user posted image
Side

Playability:

Right now you may be thinking, "Screw you, Doctor Bob; I don't want your worthless opinions! Just tell me if I can actually play with my new toy!".

If that is what's going through your mind right now, then yes, I'm sure that one could find many ways to play with Kiina ranging from chucking her from your second story window (not recommended) to playing the new "Bionicle Battle Game". A boy I babysit enjoys creating his own storylines and pitting them against each other in "epic battles". The last time I lent him a Bionicle, poor Matoro Mahri got dented and dinged pretty bad, so don't lend a brand-spank'in-new Kiina to little kids, folks!

She's also pretty posable, so it would be fun for some to put her in a variety of poses. I don't find it very enjoyable, but for your viewing, here it goes:

user posted image
"You wanna fight, punk?"
user posted image
Ready to fire
user posted image
Stalemate

There's one minor issue that may affect playability, though. On Kiina, there are a variety of long and thin plastic parts that I imagine would be fairly easy to break if you're not careful, especially if you actually "battle" with your Bionicles (ie.- smack them roughly against each other until one 'wins' like the kid I babysit does). These specific parts are her fin-like shoulder and leg armor pieces, her Vapor Trident, and the back section of her mask.

So make sure to be careful when handling your brand new precious Bionicle, especially if you're playing rough. You don't want to break this awesome set from the last line of full-size Bionicles.

Conclusion

To finish this whole thing off, I'm more than ecstatic to report that I happily ate my own words when dealing with the initial impressions! Kiina is by far the most awesome set that I bought in a while, effectively hammering my previous favorite canister set, Onua Mistika, into the ground. I'd even go as far to say that I'd most definitely purchase this set at its normal price of $13. Luckily for you, (assuming you don't have Kiina) Lego Shop-at-Home has lowered her price to $8.98, so what are you waiting for? Buy Kiina! But you don't have to take my word for it...

user posted image
"Purchase me... NOW!"

Right now, I'd say that the only things that I dislike about the set are the hideous red plus-rods that appear on her torso and her left hand, screaming out against her otherwise awesome color scheme; the piece count is also rather disappointing and many of the parts seem very fragile. Other than those few (minor) cons, I wholeheartedly recommend the set.

And regarding that earlier comment on her unimpressive presentation on the front of the canister... I don't know. It's almost like what's presented on the cover and what's actually included is completely different in my opinion. I suppose it's just that pictures can't justify an otherwise awesome set (even the 'awesome' pictures that I took tongue.gif).

While on the topic of criticism, I also don't understand why so many people are complaining about the proportions on so many of these models. It's not like they're human or anything, so our proportions don't apply at all to an otherwise fictional world and toy line. And don't call my a hypocrite for not liking the red on the torso; clearly this topic has nothing to do about colors XD.

So, in conclusion, follow Kiina's advice: buy her now while you still can. It really is a shame that the Bionicle line got axed; too bad they didn't get any fans involved with some of the designs. But hey, what can you do?

PROS
*Awesome helmet
*Neat Thornax Laucher
*Good Flexibility
*NO INIKA TORSO!!!
*Cool weapons
*Actual 'game' that you can play
*Just looks flat-out awesome
*Recolored and new pieces

CONS
*Red plus-rods make my blood boil
*Piece count
*Very fragile-looking parts

user posted image
"Bye-bye!"

Thanks for reading!
~Doctor Bob

This post has been edited by Doctor Bob on Jul 17 2010, 07:40 PM
Matoro
Posted: Jul 17 2010, 08:00 PM

Birds R Awesome!

Member No.: 36

I like the review. The pics are pretty funny. Its almost like how I done it in my review of Vorox. Anyway. its good. But I don't know what I am going to use the pieces for, for MOCing. Ehhh. Yeah. I don't know.
Doctor Bob
Posted: Jul 18 2010, 03:24 AM

The Village Idiot

Thanks smile.gif. As for MOCing, all of the light blue pieces would probably very useful if you already had others of the same color (the new upper arm and leg molds would be awesome for custom builds). You'd probably also find the new blue fin-like armor good for rahi MOCs and such if you build those types of things, but I don't think the Vapor Tridents would serve a very good purpose in most constructions.

Other than that, I'm not too sure much else would be helpful, as I imagine most would have the majority (if not all) of the older pieces on Kiina. For MOCing, you should probably spend your money on this instead: The Kaxium V3 on Shop @ Home. It's $15.00, which is half off of the original price; an absolute steal IMO. Link

~Doctor Bob
Xinlo
Posted: Jul 21 2010, 05:52 AM

Toa

Member No.: 108

Great review. I'd have to agree with you on almost every point except the pins. They don't bother me. =P But I agree that the pic on the canister sucks. When the images were leaked I thought Kiina was a cool name, but the set was terrible. Then I bought her and she's one of my favourites. She's also one of the most Feminine sets, IMO. Unfortunately though, today, my Kiina's right elbow socket snapped, making it a very loose connection. =( have to order a replacement...

The only thing I wish about this set is that it came with two light blue vahki legs... but oh well. At least they exist.

~X
Takal
Posted: Jul 21 2010, 11:59 AM

Toa of Thunder

Group: Forum Administrator
Member No.: 11

Kiina was the only set I've bought over the last two years, but because she was so small, I built her a custom body taller than the one suplied... and an Inika torso... and unfortunately Axonn. At least the proportions were right. I used components from the Lego Technic R2D2 and Jango Fett so I got he right colour scheme, and pieces from Krekka and Vamprah as armour (Vamprah hind claws for her sides.

Though I did break it down, it was good, the smaller set was better, but much shorter. Kiina is definitely the best of the whole 2009/10 range, I agree.

Though I have found a use for shadow Av-matoran torsos...
Doctor Bob
Posted: Jul 22 2010, 10:18 PM

The Village Idiot

Xinlo- Thanks for the feedback. That really stinks that your set's piece snapped... That happened to my Lewa Nuva (the Phantoka version) the first time I put him together; I thought that the new double socket parts were supposed to be snap resistant >_<. But you are right: at least she is distinguishable from the opposite gender, unlike the mustached Hahli Inika XD.

Takal- Thank you for the reply. It's pretty cool that you revamped her (I did that to Gali Nuva, 'cause the Mistika version sucked), as the torso piece is a tad bit small, but I never really minded the rather odd proportions. And what did you use the shadow matoran torsos for? ohmy.gif

I also just got Mata Nui in the mail today, so everyone can expect another review either tomorrow or the next day; just finished watching The Legend Reborn as well, so a review of that will be posted shortly after XD.

This post has been edited by Doctor Bob on Jul 23 2010, 12:19 AM
Takal
Posted: Jul 25 2010, 03:03 PM

Toa of Thunder

They make great chestplates for the upper body of black, toa-sized MOCs, so long as the body is bulked out below and behind them. I used one (from Vican) to make a SPARTAN II from Halo, but I'm sure they could be used for other MOCs too.

Mata Nui? He was a joke! His head was twelve sizes too small, he was basic, boring and used the same colour scheme as Tarix, which I thought of as horrendous. On Brutaka it looked good... but on no-one else!

I've had a couple of recent pieces snap as well... The recent worksmanship of the plastic BIONICLE use leaves a lot to be desired. I broke: Carapar's claw (one half); A black 'calf' piece (upper leg, angular design); two 'hands' (also angular); Hahlii's shoulder-ball-bearing and warped Mutran's wing quite considerably (though I was able to 'unwarp' it).

Kiina, as the one 2009/2010 model I have, has not suffered any of these problems yet (or hopefully ever) so LEGO may be getting back on the right track.

This post has been edited by Takal on Jul 25 2010, 03:07 PM
Xinlo
Posted: Jul 26 2010, 07:43 PM

Toa

Member No.: 108

QUOTE (Takal @ Jul 25 2010, 03:03 PM)
They make great chestplates for the upper body of black, toa-sized MOCs, so long as the body is bulked out below and behind them. I used one (from Vican) to make a SPARTAN II from Halo, but I'm sure they could be used for other MOCs too.

Mata Nui? He was a joke! His head was twelve sizes too small, he was basic, boring and used the same colour scheme as Tarix, which I thought of as horrendous. On Brutaka it looked good... but on no-one else!

I've had a couple of recent pieces snap as well... The recent worksmanship of the plastic BIONICLE use leaves a lot to be desired. I broke: Carapar's claw (one half); A black 'calf' piece (upper leg, angular design); two 'hands' (also angular); Hahlii's shoulder-ball-bearing and warped Mutran's wing quite considerably (though I was able to 'unwarp' it).

Kiina, as the one 2009/2010 model I have, has not suffered any of these problems yet (or hopefully ever) so LEGO may be getting back on the right track.

Um... Mata Nui doesn't have anywhere near the same colour scheme as Tarix or Brutaka... He's Yeloow and black, not gold and blue. =/ And he was an alright set. Better than Vastus, Tarix, Skrall, Malum, or Stronius.

~X
Takal
Posted: Jul 27 2010, 06:51 PM

Toa of Thunder

That's still not saying much... And no-one can deny that his head was too small.
Toa Yurikk
Posted: Nov 14 2010, 11:10 PM

Toa of destiny!

Member No.: 119

QUOTE (Takal @ Jul 27 2010, 06:51 PM)
That's still not saying much... And no-one can deny that his head was too small.

I can actually! If you actually own him you can really tell he heads perfect. Its just the Toa Nuva had so huge heads its hard to recognize the proper size. wink.gif

Anyway great review of Kiina. My only nitpick is that shes not a Toa of water. dry.gif ( biggrin.gif )
« Next Oldest | Member Review Database | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1201 seconds | Archive