Welcome to Forums Of Destiny. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, viewing certain forums, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

A LEGOŽ Powered Tank And Your Support
Adrninistrator
Posted: Jul 9 2014, 01:43 AM

Imatron

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

News link

Ideas page link

This is my latest MOC and also something I hope to see on store shelves some day. Let me know what you think!

I know it's a longshot to get those 10,000 supporters, but if It does, not only is it a fun model in it's own right, but I'm hoping it can become a model T of LEGO Power functions. Nothing off the shelf right now can get you something this functional in a remote control LEGO kit, and as long as you don't need it to be autonomous, its a good 200 bucks cheaper to buy than an EV3 or NXT.
Takal
Posted: Jul 15 2014, 09:56 PM

Toa of Thunder

Group: Forum Administrator
Member No.: 11

Functionally spectacular as ever, Immy.

But... I don't think it's marketable. I understand and appreciate that it's a bare-bones, function-only model and that's what you built it to be, but because of that, I don't think it'd sell. The box art sells the model rather than any features it may posess and this is not the kind of thing I can imagine anyone purchasing by box art alone. I'm sure you could clad this in some way so it would be moderately eye-catching rather than looking like the inner workings of a machine.

I don't mean to be cruel and personally I think it performs its task far better than almost all of lego's own automated sets but that's not the kind of thing you can stress on a toyshop shelf.
Adrninistrator
Posted: Jul 15 2014, 11:33 PM

Imatron

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I'd say you've accurately reflected my expectation ^__^

I do want it to succeed and Ill try to gather the support, but I don't expect it to make the final cut. I'm approaching this on four fronts:

*The possibility the community will appreciate it more than I expected as its own set and a power functions starter kit over the functionality alone (leaving The LEGO Group to take care of making it pretty for the final box design).
-Of course theres what you pointed out looking pretty to begin with is what would gather support, Ill try to post possible decorative themes with the stuff I have on hand as an update.

*Trying to get The LEGO Group's attention with the design.

*Hoping the AFOL community sees a market for this somewhere between robot jousting and sumo bots and picks it up as another of their robotics based sports.

*Hoping to give it attention so the community starts copying the mechanism and incorporating it into mindstorms and etc designs, increasing what they can make their creations do. The mechanism is actually easy to do, and if you dont need it to be a tank specifically, its extremely versatile. How many people have a mindstorms that uses two motors to drive and a third for a claw? What if they could use this to power the claw and free up that motor for something else? All they need is some clever programming and a sensor to tell the intelligent brick when the claw is in the open position, as one example.
« Next Oldest | My Own Creations | Next Newest »

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0541 seconds | Archive