zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Ewaerbl's Bevin. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

Eder Rastekesh, The forest Age
Doobes
Posted: Jul 27 2008, 12:16 PM

The Doobalicious Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Are you(your avvie)wearing a space suit? Zero G? Kind of like flying in SL. Your world looks like a hostile planet.

laugh.gif Too right, although Rastekesh now has an atmosphere. The suit I'm wearing is a Maintainer's suit you can get in the Complete Chronicles version of Gahreesen (in the big building with The Wall). If the wall there were ever to reopen in MORE, we'd be wearing those suits while climbing the wall.

I'm working this summer in the IT lab at my college! And I will have 20 hrs a week there this fall. I'll be full time again. One of my classes is an internship of my work in the lab. All I have to do is write about what I do there. If everything goes as planned I'll graduate in May '09. Then try to get entry level work somewhere. Next summer I'll decide if I want to continue for my bachelors. I've been thinking that my education hasn't been very deep. And working at the college has shown me how much I don't know.

Good to hear that you're doing well, E. Keep up the good work! biggrin.gif

My Gametap script has expired. I hope someone starts URU again! I'm saving the files on my computer just in case; )

YES, keep those files! In fact, if you can copy all of them to another part of your computer, you can delete Gametap entirely if you want AND you'll have a much shorter download time when MORE starts up later this year.

Anyway, back to Eder Rastekesh, here's another update. It now has a sky. tongue.gif

Me in the Age:
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee26/Do...KIimage0144.jpg

Where the swimmable lake will be:
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee26/Do...KIimage0145.jpg

A bird's eye view of the Age. No, you won't be able to get up there when I'm done biggrin.gif :
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee26/Do...KIimage0146.jpg
Doobes
Posted: Aug 5 2008, 05:05 PM

The Doobalicious Admin

Update 8/5:

Anybody care for a swim? biggrin.gif

[spoiler]
user posted image
[/spoiler]

Now with shadows and better lighting!

[spoiler]
user posted image
[/spoiler]
Doobes
Posted: Aug 28 2008, 06:15 PM

The Doobalicious Admin

Update 8/28:

Some new mountains in the background, plus more texture blending for a nice effect. You now link in onto a pedestal (right now, a simple stone platform) that reads "Eder Rastekesh" in D'ni.

[spoiler]
user posted image
[/spoiler]

Yeah, I've been busy with this. Can ya tell? biggrin.gif

- Doobes
Rann Gast
Posted: Aug 29 2008, 01:17 PM

Administrator

Member No.: 1

Love it, Doobes. Can't wait to see it in person.
Doobes
Posted: Aug 31 2008, 01:31 PM

The Doobalicious Admin

QUOTE (Rann Gast @ Aug 29 2008, 03:17 PM)
Love it, Doobes. Can't wait to see it in person.

Well hey, if anyone has URU: Complete Chronicles, they can see it now. All one would need is URU Library Manager and my Age files and the link is open.

Still need to create some real-looking trees (not as easy as it sounds) and a cabin to put near the lake (UV mapping makes this a real pain). Also, no sounds as of yet.

But hey, that's why they invented the phrase "work in progress", right? wink.gif
Doobes
Posted: Sep 4 2008, 06:30 PM

The Doobalicious Admin

Update 9/4:

Just tried putting a (test) cabin into EdRa (my nickname for the Age). Here's the result:

View from the outside:

[spoiler]
user posted image
[/spoiler]

Inside the cabin:

[spoiler]
user posted image
[/spoiler]

Yeah, I know the ceiling is VERY low, but this was just a test. I plan to create a much better one in the near future! Gotta have someplace to stay there, right? wink.gif

As for the legal aspect of things, I've acquired a unique sequence prefix (a number used in Age ordering so they don't overlap and crash URU), but have not deemed the Age worthy of asking Cyan for a license yet.

Time will tell, though. Stay tuned.

- Doobes
Ewaerbl
Posted: Sep 7 2008, 12:46 PM

Member No.: 12

Nice work Doobes! I can tell you like programing. But it isnt like programing is it? Is it more like building with blocks? Is code involved? blink.gif
Well, have fun anyways.
Doobes
Posted: Sep 7 2008, 07:13 PM

The Doobalicious Admin

A lot of it is building/shaping/texturing things in Blender, which in and of itself is no easy task.

Most of the "programming" is in Alcscript for when you want to make a swimming region, clickable items and the range in which they're clickable, things for your avvie to sit on, nice-looking reflective water (wavesets) like in Eder Kemo, etc...

Luckily, the tutorials over at the Guild of Writers Wiki explain a lot of the Alcscript stuff in detail, hence the reason they've essentially become my "bible" while building this Age. smile.gif
Doobes
Posted: Sep 17 2008, 02:07 PM

The Doobalicious Admin

Update 9/17:

Work is going well on the new cabin I plan to put into EdRa.

Here's a preview of it in Blender:

[spoiler]
user posted image
[/spoiler]

It's not big, but it'll serve as a place to get together for whoever links in. Also, I plan to add a deck outside for people to sit, too.

True, it doesn't look very D'ni, but storywise, this wasn't a D'ni Written Age to begin with. wink.gif

More to come!

- Doobes
Ewaerbl
Posted: Sep 20 2008, 11:33 AM

I downloaded blender but i havent done anything w/it yet. i'm taking web development and visual basic. At the end of the day i dont want to do any more programming blink.gif i just might order the complete chronicles if i can just find some money. i wish we could run our own server and play our own content wouldnt that be cool? im also learning about windows server 2003. i have an evaluation copy of it running on another pc(cheap). its just to configure the software and talk about what is possible on a network. i wish i had a router and a fast switch. they dont let me mess around on the network much at school. i can get to the print server thats about it.
Doobes
Posted: Sep 20 2008, 12:18 PM

The Doobalicious Admin

I'm not gonna lie to ya, Blender is one of the more pain in the @$$ 3D modeling programs to use, according to many sources and my own experience, but once you have some practice with it, it works quite well. I've even heard of some people creating "Pixar-esqe" movies with it! Crazy.

Plus, it's the only program being used at the moment to create URU Ages, so there's that too. biggrin.gif

Here's some free tutorials and stuff to get you started:

Blender Noob to Pro Tutorials

Also, if you need a few pointers, feel free to PM me.

i wish we could run our own server and play our own content wouldnt that be cool?

I'm sure you may have heard Until URU mentioned in MOUL at some point. That was exactly what you described; fan-run servers, some of them even running fan-made Ages. All you needed to do was pay a one-time fee to Cyan for a "key" to get in and presto...URU Live (albeit on a smaller scale and broken into many servers)

It's probably what lead to Gametap starting MOUL in the first place.

Let me know if and when you get Complete Chronicles and I'll fill you in on how to try out fan Ages (for free, even wink.gif )
Ewaerbl
Posted: Sep 23 2008, 07:26 PM

A fan run server, I like the sound of that! But since I don't have any money, it just isn't possible sad.gif I would need a dedicated pc to serve up the game and a fast internet connection to allow for traffic. Its doable. Do you know anyone who is doing it now w/Uru? I still don't have the chronicles. I think I'll start there. One of the guys at work may have heard of this. There is a computer gaming club as well and its run by a girl! She does web dev work for the college.
I have looked at the tutorials for blender. I've also been busy w/homework. I think I'll focus on my coursework to get my gpa up.(3.1) biggrin.gif
Doobes
Posted: Sep 24 2008, 02:39 PM

The Doobalicious Admin

Do you know anyone who is doing it now w/Uru?

Since Until URU ended with the premiere of MOUL and with MORE on the way, there is no (legal) fan-run server sanctioned by Cyan at the moment. From what I hear, MORE will incorporate fan-run "front-end shards" to take some of the load off Cyan's servers, but we will all still connect to the same main instance of the game, unlike Until URU.

I think I'll focus on my coursework to get my gpa up.

Good idea! I can't tell you how many times the Half-Life multiplayer mode and Counter-Strike in '00 to '02 nearly killed my college work! laugh.gif

Games, while fun, can put real work on the backburner, which is never a good thing. wink.gif

As for Blender and EdRa, I just work on it in my spare time (of which I have little), trying new things and putting them into the final Age here and there to see if they work. Nothing like working hard on something and seeing it pay off really well in-game, let me tell ya!
Doobes
Posted: Mar 8 2010, 09:12 PM

The Doobalicious Admin

Guess what I've been working on again? wink.gif

[spoiler]
user posted image
[/spoiler]

Eder Rastekesh, version 3! And I finally got wavesets to work (the reflective water like in Eder Gira and Kemo).

UPDATE 3/20:
Some more pics of EdRa's progression:

[spoiler]
user posted image
Nice view of the lake, dock and waterfall
user posted image
Big aerial view of the Age so far
user posted image
New tree model that will be used
[/spoiler]

Sometimes frustrating, but very cool when what you're doing finally works. wink.gif

UPDATE 4/10:

A new pic of most of the Age (been busy!):

[spoiler]
user posted image
Tree problems solved and now there's a bunch of them!
[/spoiler]

I also changed the skydome to a solid blue with a painted on sun. The clouds are on a separate layer and they move. biggrin.gif

The shadows aren't there yet, as they come in last with the lightmaps, hence all the "brightness".

UPDATE 4/21:

Some new pics of my progress:

[spoiler]user posted image
View of the entire Age as it is now.
user posted image
One of the places to gather in the Age, complete with fire pit. wink.gif
[/spoiler]
Doobes
Posted: May 7 2010, 10:28 PM

The Doobalicious Admin

New pics of the Age as of 5/7:

[spoiler]
user posted image
View of the Age from the lake
user posted image
This is the platform you link onto
user posted image
A WORKING Nexus linking book. smile.gif
user posted image
A view of the cabin
user posted image
Another view of the cabin
user posted image
Inside the cabin. Plenty of room to move stuff in!
[/spoiler]

EDIT 5/10:

A new, yet appropriate addition that truly puts the "Eder" in Eder Rastekesh:

[spoiler]
user posted image
[/spoiler]

And no, it wasn't lifted from one of Cyan's Ages. It was made based on pics entirely from scratch in Blender and uses different but similar textures. Now if you'll excuse me, I think my brain is officially fried. laugh.gif
« Next Oldest | Explorer-Created Ages | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3268 seconds · Archive