Welcome to Civil Squabble! We are a political debate forum, aimed at combating youth political apathy. We are a fun community that appreciates diversity and unity, and although we're bound to have disagreements, we ensure our debates are friendly and respectful.
News and Updates
Have new and creative ideas for CS? Go here to discuss!
Members of the Month
xthereisnospoonx90, for continually staying with the board and making CS exciting!
Coding Help: RCR
Last 10 Posts [ In reverse order ]
||Posted on Oct 15 2007, 04:40 PM
|| This is basically copied from Iconator, but I'll add to it as i see fit
updated March 13, 2008
- I consider myself an independent. Not because I don't know what I believe but because my beliefs truly fall in the middle. I lean democrat on social issues such as gay rights and abortion and republican on governmental/economic issues such as universal health care.
- I will be voting for the first time this election and I cannot wait to be a part of it.
- I like Obama. I like McCain. I'm afraid of Clinton. In a bad way. Just as long as she doesn't become our president, I will be content with either Obama or McCain.
- Phantom of the Opera is the shizznit (but NOT the movie, the REAL show and the book)
- I'm a classically trained soprano (i.e. I sing opera, oratorios, arias, the like) of 5 years and counting and I love it. This year I won a competition to sing an aria with one of my state's most well known orchestras under the direction of an amazing maestro (i cant tell you his name because it would give too much info to stalk me with. I'm a bit paranoid about that.) It was the best experiance of my life. If you care, I sang "Batti batti o bel Masetto" from Mozart's Don Giovanni.
- Being open minded is a wonderful thing. You dont have the only belief in the world, so get used to it. Your opinions shouldnt become laws or the like just because you're against it, or it goes against your religion because you know what? YOU'RE NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO MATTERS!
- Ignorance is NOT bliss, it's fu.cking annoying
Just so there is no confusion, here are my views on things:
Evolution. It happened. God may have started it (as I believe) but evolution as explained by Darwin happened
Abortion. Iíd call myself pro choice I guess. I donít really have an opinion except that the government has no right to make laws over a womensí body. Itís her body to do with as she pleases. Maybe you think abortion is murder and the fetus is a living thing, but as of now, that's just an opinion, and there are sooooo many different ideas about what's living and what isn't. Embrologists, biologists, genetic scientists and others all disagree on where live actually starts. (that's a fact, go look it up if you don't believe me.) So far, there has been no law saying if it is living or not. You can't say something is wrong and should be illegal based on your opinion. Now, if the Supreme Court ever decides that a fetus is living from the moment of conception, then it is murder and should be outlawed, but even then, that will be hard since so many scientists disagree on where life begins. Until they agree (um... probably never,) we'll have to just deal with it. Iíll give up the right to my own body when Bush gets pregnant.
Gay Rights. Love is love. Simple as that. Sure the Bible mentions that gay may be a sin, but that occurs under the old laws, laws that include not being allowed to cut your beard or wear clothing of mixed fibers. Now how many of you follow those rules? Times change. Lets move the present people. There needs to be more love in the world, who cares if itís between same sex couples or not?
Immigration. We need to get all the illegal immigrants out. I know people whoíve had to weed though all the paperwork to get into the country legally and itís unfair that others are allowed to sneak in unnoticed. Itís not that I donít like immigrants, I want them to come, but only legally.
- Which brings me to my next point. Youíre in America speak ENGLISH! I will not have 70% of the US speaking Spanish in 20 years. This is not Mexico, is the United States of America! If we (English speaking Americans) moved to Mexico, France, Italy, Russia, China etc. weíd have to learn a new language, so can the immigrants. I understand that makes me sound like I donít like Hispanic people but thatís not true. Some of my best friends are Hispanic. Itís just this is America. We speak English. Itís not a hard concept to grasp.
Global warming. Itís definatly happening. The earth is heating up. Thatís undisputable. The question is are humans responsible. Thatís a hard question. I think, yes we are to some degree. CO2 levels have nothing to do with it though. Whatís actually causing higher CO2 levels is the rise in temp. The earth gets warmer, more plants grow, more CO2 is created. CO2 is the effect, not the cause. The really question is, whatís causing the temp. to rise? I dk. I really donít and I donít think anyone does. Weíll see what happens in 20 years.
Religion. Yeah, I am Roman Catholic and Iím proud of that. Itís just me and the Bible donít always get along. On the other hand, the Pope and I are tight! :-P jk. I just wish more people would be more respectful of otherís beliefs. There are so many religions in the world, whoís to say whoís right? Lets just respect all opinions and stop trying to force opinions on people. There is nothing more annoying than that.
AMARANTH SKINNED BY AUGUSTINE (COTY) OF RCR & RPG-U.