This skin is based on one created by Tim of the IF Skin Zone.

InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Big Damn Verse. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Quick Log In:

News Scrolly Thingy

Welcome to Year Eight

"Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' fore she keens. Makes her a home."

Year Eight and Still Flyin'! Thank You, Everyone!

Graduation Woes - A Rant, taking a personal moment or two
Jax Malone
Posted: Apr 18 2012, 01:25 PM

Jax of all trades

Group: BDV Admin
Member No.: 37

The options were typing up a rant to post where none of my family would ever see it or attempting a logical discussion over the phone that I know I would lose because 1. I'm so upset over this I feel my anxiety levels spiking as I sit here and 2. I know I don't have the logical high ground. I tried calling friends to rant and nobody's answering their rutting phones. So, here goes.

If the words "teacher's certification" come up in one more conversation with my family, I'm smashing my freaking cell phone. Yes, I graduate in less than a month. No, I have had no response from any of the three dozen theaters I've contacted since January. This includes the theater I interned with last summer. (Bastards.) Yes, I've been calling and following up on my applications on a rotating weekly basis. Yes, this possibility of graduating without a job does, in fact, scare the shit out of me.

However, my well-meaning mother seems to have latched onto the idea that I'm going to teach. I, myself, abandoned this idea when I changed from an English major to a theater major back in 07-08. Teacher's certification for high school level will require more college classes that I will have to pay for with my own money (money that I don't have since I have no job) because I would not be taking enough classes to be eligible for financial aid. More college classes means graduating and then turning around and coming back. The education program here is also very VERY tough and I don't know that I can keep my GPA high enough. If your GPA drops below a certain number, you get kicked out of the certification program and have to start from scratch the next full semester.

Did I mention the fact that I don't want to be a teacher? Teaching, which it does offer job security, requires a specific type of person, someone really called for it who really wants to do it. I have no interest in teaching. I really, really don't.

Twice this month, mom and I have had the exact same conversation. She tells me to go to the education department and find out what is required to get teacher's certification. Each time, I respond with "I found that out when I was a freshman. You have to take four education classes over two semesters, including a stint as a student teacher, and then you have to take a test." Today, I used the phrase "I told you this last time you asked that question" and it seems to have finally sunk in. Maybe. We'll see.

I'm not sure what to do. What I want to do with my life is work in a theater and write. I want to write fiction and become a published author. This has been my goal since I was sixteen years old. The whole reason I'm studying theater is because my school does not offer degrees in creative writing. (One of my theater professors was less than thrilled this semester when I admitted, in class, that if we did offer a creative writing degree I never would have set foot in the fine arts building.) I have no desire to become a teacher and my mom just doesn't seem to be hearing that.

She's looking at the benefits, I know. My high school is actually in need of a theater teacher and I could almost walk into that job (they like hiring alumni) but there are still so many things holding me back. I'm not teacher certified. To get teacher certified would require another year of school. I don't WANT to get teacher certified. I don't WANT to be stuck teaching at the small high school I graduated from. I don't want to have to say "oh, yeah, I'm a teacher; this was my fall-back." Do I understand the point of having a fall-back/safety net? Yes, of course I do. That doesn't mean I want one.

I need a job. I have no idea what to do.
Ertia
Posted: Apr 20 2012, 07:57 PM

Board Bitch

Group: BDV Admin
Member No.: 73

Jax, sweetie,
I hear you completely! My mom wanted me to go into nursing, she still does. "Be a nurse. Go to nursing school!"... I do NOT want to be a nurse. No, thank you. And she throws it at me every time I have money woes, etc. "Go to nursing school!" Can't get it through her head that I don't want to be a nurse...

I say, if theater is what you want it, go for it! Making it theater takes hard work and determination, and it takes making connections and building up a reputation before it becomes a 'career', but it CAN happen. I know several people who have gone from busting their a&&es for little or no pay in the Summer Rep Theater carpenter shop, lighting dept, etc, who have made names for themselves. (And if you're interested in moving to LA, and you like opera, i might be able to get you connected there!)

Summer rep theater work is an excellent way to build reputation and get your name out there, but it's not the only way. Be prepared to take on a part time job to pay the bills while you work/volunteer/intern to build your reputation. (There's a reason my brother has a day job.)

And i know it's scary, but looking at moving to a bigger city with strong and active arts programs- LA, San Fran, Seattle, New York- St. Louis- can open up options you never thought you'd find. And if you find something in San Fran, you can always couch-surf at our place until you find a rent somewhere.
Rabbit
Posted: Apr 20 2012, 10:31 PM

Stargazer

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,235

If you head out to the East Coast, I have connections up and down it!
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Big Damn User Legend
Admin | Moderator | Forum Moderator | Member | NPC | Guest
Proud Member Of:

Firefly Fansite WebRing
This Firefly WebRing Site
is owned by
The BDV Admin Team

Firefly Webring Navigation
[ Skip Prev | Prev 5 | List | Stats
Join | Rand | Next 5 | Skip Next ]