This skin is based on one created by Tim of the IF Skin Zone.

Welcome to Big Damn Verse. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Quick Log In:

News Scrolly Thingy

" If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds, and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?"
The First Doctor

"You'll find there's so much else to think about. To remember. Our lives are different to anybody else's. That's the exciting thing, that nobody in the universe can do what we're doing."
The Second Doctor

"So be careful how you tell that story, will you? Don't glamourise it. Don't make war sound like an exciting and thrilling game."
The Third Doctor

"If the square on the hypotenuse equals the sum of the square on the other two sides, why is it a mouse when it spins? Never did know the answer to that one."
Th Fourth Doctor

" Of course, you and I both know that at the end of a millennium they'd still be tapping out gibberish."
The Fifth Doctor

" Oh, I thought you were my mirror image — Until I realised I wasn't the one holding a gun."
The Sixth Doctor

"Yes, that's right, you're going. You've been gone for ages. You're already gone. You're still here. You've just arrived. I haven't even met you yet. It all depends on who you are and how you look at it. Strange business, time.n."
The Seventh Doctor

"Grace, I came back to life before your eyes. I held back death. Look, I can't make your dream come true forever, but I can make it come true today!"
The Eighth Doctor

"You just want to drag the stars down and stick them underground, underneath tons of sand and dirt, and label them! You're about as far from the stars as you can get!... And you took her down with you."
The Ninth Doctor

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but, actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff."
The Tenth Doctor

" Amy Pond, there's something you better understand about me 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it: I am definitely a mad man with a box."
The Eleventh Doctor

"Kidneys! I've got new kidneys! I don't like the colour."
The Twelfth Doctor

"No. Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame. Whatever the cost."
The War Doctor

Year Seven and Still Flyin'! Thank You, Everyone!

Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

For The Rare And Radiant Maiden, Raven episode 1
The Raven
Posted: May 16 2010, 10:43 AM

Ghost

Group: Forum Moderators
Member No.: 1,035

The Raven soared through The Black, cloaked and hidden, leaving Beaumonde behind. On her bridge, Christine having shed her Bkue Velvet fashions and disguise, returned to the pilot's seat, gazing out into the stars, plotting the ship's next course.

It's a course The Raven will never follow.

A new message, never intended for The Raven, but for someone else, only recently arrived, will change it, and send them where Christine, just a short while ago, never thought they would go.
Zenobia Tildara
Posted: May 20 2010, 06:53 PM

The Demon of Ezra

Group: Members
Member No.: 82

Shortly Before the Raven's launch:

Zenobia hated high heels; they pinched her toes together in an intensely uncomfortable fashion, and it took quite a bit of concentration just to walk in them without falling flat on her face. Supposedly, wearing them for long enough allowed your feet to adjust and get used to them, but Zenobia had never really understood why someone would wear such intensely uncomfortable and awkward shoes for the time it took to get used to them. Needless to say, the idea of actually trying to fight while wearing such ridiculous shoes was absurd.

Zenobia was also wearing a light dusting of tastefully applied makeup, and a hint of perfume lingered in the air around her. The idea of wearing a bunch of chemicals that would almost certainly get in her eyes if she started sweating irked the woman, and she just knew the smell of perfume would give away her position to enemies while simultaneously dulling her own sense of smell. The long, brown-haired wig atop her head also itched horrendously.

As if the heels and makeup were not bad enough, the entire situation was compounded by the ridiculous dress she was wearing. Supposedly it was a very nice and quite fashionable thing, a traditional red cheogsam that clung tightly to Zenobia's body. The dress just felt wrong; it's fabric brushed against her legs with every step she took, the top lacked the relative freedom of the shirts she preferred, and there had been no way she could possibly conceal any weapons under it. It was exactly the sort of this that Zenobia Tildara would never, ever, wear.

Which was the entire point of this ridiculous exercise. Everyone who knew her knew that she would go around unarmed and wearing an outfit so utterly unsuited to combat. It was a disguise that could probably even fool Christine or Mouse for a second; their minds would need a moment of time to process a sight that so utterly conflicted with their existing image of Zenobia Tildara. I don't know how Christine manages to do this kind of thing all the time.

The only reason she only had all this ridiculous frippery in the first place was because of Anise's continuing quest to turn her into something resembling a proper lady. Zenobia cast a glance back at the girl in question, supervising a hover-sled with several sealed boxes that contained Zenobia's weapons, armor and other personal effects. The red-haired girl, technically a woman given that she had recently turned eighteen, carried herself with a sense of dignity and reserve even in Beaumonde's busy docks. If one spent enough time comparing her to Zenobia, the keen-eyed might notice a few subtle hints of family resemblance; they were second cousins after all.

"I believe that is the vessel you mentioned, milady." Anise announced formally as her eyes fell upon the Raven, a faint hint of disapproval clear in her posture. "Are you certain you will not require my services once-"

"Yes, I'm sure." Zenobia cut her page off, though she made an effort not to be too harsh about it. Anise meant well, and obviously took her duty very seriously, but the Raven was no place for a girl like her. Anise had helped out a few times with Zenobia's business on Gades, but there was a big difference between covering for an occasional absence or putting in a call to the Port Authority and actually getting into the thick of things. Anise could not be insulated and kept safe on the Raven.

"You can do more good on Gades. Zenobia assured the girl. It was quite true; one of Anise's primary duties was to serve as a buffer between Zenobia and everyone else of Gades, and she could easily maintain an illusion that Zenobia was still present for some time so long as business as usual continued.

"As you wish milady." Zenobia knew Anise well enough to tell that, despite her impeccable appearance of outward dignity, the girl was sulking. Nice to see there's more to her personality than the stick her etiquette teachers put up her pigu. She's a good kid.

Good kids had no place on the Raven. The two drew up next to the entrance, and Zenobia dismissed the girl. "I can handle things from here. Thanks Anise. For everything."

"I only did my duty." The girl announced humbly, before a hint of emotion entered her eyes as the girl softly whispered. "Safe travels, milady." The young noblewoman departed, leaving her mistress behind.

Zenobia watched until the girl disappeared into the crowd, and then turned about and smacked her hand against the Raven's airlock door a few times. "Open up gorrammit, I want to get out of this stupid outfit." After a short wait Zenobia heard sounds of movement, and then the door swung open to reveal Mancoon Krylin's familiar face.

In the moment that followed the big marine stood, bright, trembling happiness unchanged. Then he blinked. A twinge of uncertainty skittered over his temple and his usual smile, his language of expression, seemed to fail him.

Zenobia took note of the man's reaction, and a pained grimace shot across her face as she immediately came to the wrong conclusion. "Yeah, I know, it's a ridiculous outfit and I look like a fool. Now let me in so I can get out of it."

Mancoon gave his head a little shake and stood back. "Should still ha' a pair o' yer boots," he said. "Cannae find anyone seems t'fit 'em."

After a slight pause, he glanced a smile at her. Smiled. "Good t'have ye back." A little husky, a little uncertainty following his eyes up. "Ah'll er, check t'laundry"

"It can wait." A rare smile made it's way onto Zenobia's face. "It's good to be back.

Now:

"You got married?" Zenobia still had not found a chance to get back into her normal working clothes; the Raven had launched not too long after she boarded, and afterwords she found herself distracted by putting her things away and getting caught up on everything she had missed, though she had at least taken the time to put some comfortable shoes on. Christine had already given her the important information, but she left out a lot of the little details, like the fact that Mancoon Krylin had married the widow from the mission on Alleluia. "That's ... wow ... um ... congratulations?" A frown shot over Zenobia's face as another thought occurred to her. "I assume you've already taken security precautions, but if she needs a safe place she's welcome at Gades. My family estate there is pretty secure."

A twinge of pain shot through Zenobia as she remembered exactly why she had sold off the Bellerophon estate and invested quite a bit of time and effort into making Gades secure. Before Zenobia could spend too much time wallowing in her remembered pain, her corepad let out a loud beep as a new message came in. The woman pulled her corepad out, vaguely curious as to who the message could possibly be from, and after quickly looking it over a concerned expression made it's way onto her face. "Excuse me Mancoon, I think Christine needs to see this."

Zenobia quickly made her way to Christine's quarters, entering the other woman's rooms with casual familiarity. A smirk made its way onto Zenobia's face as she noted that Christine had abandoned the fashionable outfit she had taken to the Blue Velvet for more practical casual clothes, while Zenobia herself was still in her ridiculously dressy disguise outfit. "Well, this is different." Zenobia's expression grew serious as she remembered why she had come to Christine's room in the first place. "I just got a rather curious message, I thought you would want to see it." Zenobia offered the other woman her corepad. "Before you ask, this outfit was my disguise."

OOC: Mancoon's dialogue and actions written by the ever-awesome Taokan.

This post has been edited by Zenobia Tildara on May 29 2010, 12:23 AM
Shanti
Posted: May 20 2010, 11:41 PM

Kaleidoscopic Girl

Group: OC
Member No.: 84

Infirmary

Although she was studying the screen in front of her with her eyes, her everpresent newscast was on in the background filling her ears with the world beyond the covert darkness of their mission. Shanti knew she was stupid. Even after weeks of trying, she could barely read, and she was more discouraged with every exception to the rule that she encountered.

But she also knew that bein' stupid was a long way from being ignorant, so she listened and learned and absorbed, never realizing that her feeling of stupidity that day was a simple point of ignorance on her part. No one had ever told her that most children took years to learn to read. Or that the Latin rooted medical terms she was currently struggling with were often erred upon by doctorate medical students.

Rubbing her eyes, she pushed back from the screen, automatically glancing toward the door. Israel Pasalewe was alive, and he was onboard and any minute his never-quite familiar trademark limp would sound just outside. And then she would be have to back to the galley, to jess cook and clean and sleep when and where she might. Din't matter how hard she worked, or how much she knew. Always gonna be bai bai.

Sliding off her high stool she took the few steps to the framed capture and the gun-harness that hung under the cabinet by the door. Reflected back at her in the glass, she could see her own blue eyes. Her hair was still dyed silver and pink, whisping across her forehead and over her eyes.

Framed in her reflection, gilted in silver, was the image of Pasalewe, Hightower and Womack, shoulder to shoulder, on Mancoon's wedding day on Alleluia. They looked so happy.

Womack wasn't an easy man to love, and yet, they had. Israel. And Eddie. And her, though she din't pretend to understand what that meant. Somethin' in her heart knew... somethin' Stone had known... but her mind din't know it. Couln't understand it. Karlov was missing now. So few people in a lifetime of love and loss and betrayal, for both her and him. An' now Eddie was dead.

But Israel. Israel'd survived. He'd come back.

"I'll try, Karlov." She whispered to the sapphire eyes that laughed from the picture. "You wants me to work with Pasalewe, I's'll try."

For the sake of the man they both loved, she had to try.
Israel Pasalewe
Posted: May 22 2010, 01:36 AM

The Jabberwock

Member No.: 288

Before Going to the Ship

'Once I never thought this day would be here...nor that I would be alive... Oh Karl...' Limping slowly threw the streets as he made his way to the Raven, Israel thought on everything that had occurred throughout his life, but it came back to him in splintered pieces. 'All those things I wanted.. God I miss him... for the longest time I was angry.. Angry that he didn't love me back. Hell, death aint any nearer to taking then I thought it was months ago, that night.' Israel sighed as he turned the corner, and finally saw the Raven.

Once on the Ship

He walked around its entirety, before heading to the infirmary. 'If I don't do this now..Calm Izzy.. I am.. sure she wont be too hateful that you lived...I hope she isn't.. Offer assistance.. but don't assume... Assume what?.. Assume that she hates me..Assume that my own hatred, my own fear, my own sadness isn't worth what she could spit. Aint worth arguing..just nod.. just nod..' Israel thought to himself as his feet moved him along. Wincing when Israel saw the sign for the Infirmary his stomach churned. The familiar sounds of shuffling grew louder towards the doors, and then the sound of light rapping came against its frame...'Gods save it.'
Shanti
Posted: May 24 2010, 07:10 PM

Kaleidoscopic Girl

Shanti hastily returned the capture to it's place as soon as she heard Israel approach. Backing away with hands clasped at the small of her back, head lowered, she put the triage bed at her back.

She glanced up at him, training from both her old world and her new taking in his appearance with one quick flash. He'd lost weight, a bit more gaunt, perhaps. Otherwise, he looked healthy. Where-ever he'd been, whatever he'd been through, it had been relatively kind to him. Shanti's voice was strong as her eyes moved back to his feet, greeting simply, "Welcome home, sir."
Tragedy
Posted: May 25 2010, 09:00 AM

'Versal

Member No.: 1,041

Dee really had no vested interest in the recovered medic. She was either going to end up dead beyond the point of just about any medical care save divinity or she would walk away from this and wait for these eyes of hers to finish the job of making her irreversiblly blind. So she did what she always did when not plotting Niska's last abstract painting: she worked out.

The riflewoman hung upside down in the ship's modified cargo bay and grunted with exertion as she performed another sit up. She didn't bother counting. Denise just did the repetitive movement until she couldn't go on. Her abs had started burning what felt like an hour ago but she pressed on, not because it made her gleaming midsection tight as a drum and eyepleasing. It wasn't even because of the rehab program she had started after her "accident" to keep her wallowing in self pity to a part-time occupation. It was about power.

Everything came down to power.

Power in it's simpliest form was the exertion of one's will on something and therefore changing it's behavior from it's norm.

Some were born with power. Niska's favorite pastime was showcasing his power over those unfortunate enough to garner his attention. Such as her family. He had flexed his power and tried to destroy her to simply prove a point to her father. But the petty crimelord had failed: he had not created an invalid drain on everyone she encountered. And it was sessions like this that re-confirmed that that would never happen so long as there was a breath left in her. Her strength, her fury, her tenacity came from the fact that the Russian had assumed she was a ruin. He had pompously thought that just because he extinguished her whole bright future with two hot needles that she was done.

So she pressed on, sweat dripping from her suspended body like the rain of Nemesis herself. Her power was that he thought she was broken when the fact of the matter was that she wasn't right true, but she would never be broken.

This post has been edited by Tragedy on May 25 2010, 09:02 AM
Israel Pasalewe
Posted: May 25 2010, 04:08 PM

The Jabberwock

"Welcome home, sir."

Israel's eyes glazed over a he swallowed for his words to come. Through everything one thing for him was certain, not only had he changed... So had she. Doing his best to muster a smile with out tearing, he hobbled to the gurney, and took a seat on it. "Miss Shanti... I have missed working with you..I am.. I know.. I was probably the last person you would want to see.. You dont have to say it, I can feel it.. I mean sure we.. got along or so I would've hoped before all this.. Things have a funny way of doing that...Ever changing to figure out a standard." He paused a moment as a sniffle took him. "I can tell you that I am here for you.. for what ever that is worth, and I can see," Israel said with a quick glance around the infirmary, "- that you have done a mighty fine job. I shall follow that lead, and assist or not assist where you might need it...And for what its worth, Miss Shanti.. If I had..to.," Israel burst into tears before sighing heavily. "..If it were something I could have changed.. it would be that Womack.. that Carl.. be here with you."
Shanti
Posted: May 26 2010, 01:06 PM

Kaleidoscopic Girl

Infirmary

Slowly, Shanti's head raised at the medic's broken words, as they tumbled and fell and grew again. She thought she knew this man. But, perhaps, like so many other things that had turned false under further inspection, she hadn't really known him at all.

"I... I's... Uh..." For Shiva's Blessings, girl! Pull your brain together! "Thank you, sir. I wish he was here, too." She admitted quietly, "But if he's still alive, we'll find him. Don't give up."

like i nearly have...

Casting about for something to say, some way to comfort this new, more broken, more lost Israel, Shanti was forced to give up. He wasn't the sort to be interested in the basest comforts that she, a mere woman, could offer. Instead, she resorted to the only thing that she herself found true comfort in, "You... ah... are you hungry? I's can make us somethin'."

She could hear Denise working out through the open doors and knew that the sniper would be hungry soon, too.
Israel Pasalewe
Posted: May 27 2010, 01:19 AM

The Jabberwock

Infirmary

Her kindness threw him slightly, but he didn't show that. Israel wiped his face with his hands before looking at her. "Food sounds good. I have missed your cooking Miss Shanti. Its kind of you to offer." As he stood he winced lightly, and grunted. "Own fault really, should know better then to sit like that.." Israel sighed. "After you Ma'am." Israel gestured with his hand towards the door showing that he wanted her to go a head of him. 'If Womack is alive.. I will kill everything in my path to get to him.' He thought to himself as he waited, looking to Shanti. 'There is something to that girl.. Haven't been so kind to one since Scarlet... I can see why Womack might fall for her. I gave her a hard time too, and she was just as hard back. And thats.. why I like Miss Shanti. Quiet little thing has a lot to her, and I will do all that I can to show her respect.'
Christine "Cory" Bell
Posted: May 28 2010, 08:08 PM

Trust Me

Member No.: 61

"Before you ask, this outfit was my disguise."

"It's a good one." said Christine. "And you do look good, even if I do like your own hair better."

Christine looked over the message. As she read, she tried to keep a professional detatchment from the message, to look at it only as intelligence on the enemy, as a new course of action, a lucky break. Somehow, she thought Zenobia would still sense there was something more there.

There had been a reason why she had never ran any of her games on the Bella Starr, in spite of all the rich turkeys just begging to be plucked, and that reason was named Lady Gretchen Prescott.

There had also been a reason why Lady Gretchen was on a private casino hotel ship out in The Black instead of in the Temple on Sihnon, and that reason had been named Marie Maguire.

"I think we have a new destination." she said softly.

What do you say to the Goddess when you've been cast out of her temple?

And what do you say to the one who cast you out?
Zenobia Tildara
Posted: May 29 2010, 01:35 AM

The Demon of Ezra

Member No.: 82

"Thought we might be heading in that direction." Zenobia gave a slow nod, her eyes lingering on Christine. Zenobia was no master of body language like a Companion, but she had good eyes and a sharp mind, and more importantly she and Christine shared the casual intimacy of lovers; Zenobia knew the other woman well enough to judge her moods and tell when something was bothering her. If it's important, she'll tell me on her own. I can't trust much anymore, but I can trust her.

"I'm glad you liked the dress, by the way." A slight blush made its way onto Zenobia's face with the statement. "I don't really have much in the way of disguise training like you do, so I just tried to reverse as many of my patterns and tendencies as I could." Zenobia hesitated for a moment, and then added. "Um, nice to know I don't look completely ridiculous too. You're the one who's good at this kind of thing, I just feel like I'm a fool pretending to be something I'm not." Maybe one day Zenobia could become that woman, wearing a dress and shoes she could never fight in, not even carrying a weapon or worrying about how her fashion choices would effect her combat potential.

That would be a nice day, but that day was not likely to come any time soon. Maybe it would never come; even if she and Christine survived this mission and succeeded in taking down Niska, that would not be the end of it. When Niska went down a dozen little crimelords would start fighting over the scraps of his empire. In some ways, Niska was a stabilizing force on the 'verse's criminal world. Niska was vicious, but like any major crimelord he had a vested interest in maintaining the status quo and keeping his empire running smoothly. The criminals who followed Niska would not share that interest, and the succession war would likely be a bloody one. Even if all of Niska's subordinates wound up in a prison cell or dead, and Niska's empire was truly destroyed, there were still other crime lords to fight. Zenobia was a child of war, born into death and deprivation; much as she loved the idea of peace, in her heart, Zenobia knew that her war would never end.

Zenobia Tildara would never become the woman in a fancy dress and nice shoes. All she was, all she could ever be, was a warrior. The only thing she truly had control over was whether she fought for good or evil.

Christine was the only person Zenobia could really trust to take care of her, to keep her on the right path as she fought every battle in that war. Mouse was a great friend, the two were sisters in all but blood, but the sassy, streetwise thief would have been a terrible choice as a moral compass. Mouse was not an evil woman, but she was far too morally flexible, and the girl was in the habit of (however sullenly) deferring to Zenobia's authority. Christine was the only person who could be Zenobia's shield against the darkness, the only person with the strength and integrity to drag her back from the brink.

If Zenobia was going to count on Christine to be there for her, then it was only right that she should support Christine as well. "By the way, if there's anything you want to talk about ... well ... I'm here for you, you know?" After a moment's hesitation, Zenobia offered. "If you want, I could come by tonight and stay for a while." It was an open invitation to discussion, as well as many other things. Zenobia, wanted, maybe even needed a chance to find some kind of release that didn't come out of the barrel of a gun. Maybe, for a few brief moments, she could forget about everything that had happened, about war and death and spilled blood that cried out for vengeance, and just lose herself in something beautiful.
Jake Xun
Posted: May 30 2010, 12:54 PM

'Versal

Member No.: 1,039

Jake wandered the halls of the raven just admiring its beauty. Her technology was gorgeous. Something he had looked forward to even though he knew what was in store for her crew. He had been left alone mostly but that probably was because he hadn't really made his presence felt. These people didn't need him yet and he knew it. So until that time as witch they needed him or noticed him he thought he would enjoy himself wandering. When he reached the cargo bay full of vehicles he had a thought, “I wonder if they’d let me tinker with one of these bikes.” While he sat there examining the bikes an image began to develop in his mind. Some gear for a helmet add some sensors here and there replace computer chip controlling the engine, create a new digital display, give it a cortex link up, and poof. He would have a mobile work station. He could outfit one of theses bikes so easily it wasn’t funny, and he could possibly increase its speed and agility too. Now he really was getting excited, a project he could actually work on while he was here.
“I wonder if the captain would let me have a go at this. I should go talk to her.
Jake immediately started looking for her.
Mancoon Krylin
Posted: May 31 2010, 06:01 AM

Bible thumpin' marine

Member No.: 161

"We were so happy," whispered Mancoon, long after Zenobia had left and the light had shifted, leaving his hands cupped in a well of darkness. "All o' us." He paused a moment, breath caught, then his voice leveled out into something bewildered and tiny. "How did we get here?"

Step by step, Sarah whispered, soft and shifting, and even in his head her smile was more beautiful than the angels. One foot after the other, by doing the thing that was most right and true at any given moment.

All we can do.

Mancoon made a soft hum of agreement and negation all at once, sighed out his conflicted tangle of emotions and let them all go. Too many things she'd stirred up to chase them all down for the nonce. Out loud, anyway. Zenobia had given him enough to think about for the the rest of the night -not the first time, won't be the last- but there came footsteps down the corridor, so it was in a rather quiet, contemplative mood that Mancoon opened his eyes to see Jake Xun wand'ring the halls all on his lonesome.

He smiled and extended a hand. "Come'n rest yer heels fer a spell," he said lightly, prickling relief at his eyes that he wouldn't be alone with his thoughts. "Dinnae know t'thoughts spinnin' yer feet, but ah recognize tha' look when ah see it."
Shanti
Posted: Jun 5 2010, 05:44 PM

Kaleidoscopic Girl

"After you Ma'am."

After you. Not 'follow me'.

She was never going to get used to that. A soft smile, nearly still, but not silent and unfelt, touched her lips and she bowed slightly, "Ching bian."

Leading the way through the corridor, the warm teak-wood beneath her feet, the gleaming rail under her fingers, the luxurious touches of the ship embraced her with opulance that she had once run away from. Now, some part of her accepted it as a part of her, as her birthright. Some part of her whispered that she had earned this.

Passing through the cargo bay, she spotted Denise, Jake and Mancoon, and raised her musical voice, "I's gonna make a snack if anyone wants some. Without Tiberius, I's gotta get used to makin' less again." Glancing back at Israel, still not quite able to raise her head all the way, she added, "An' Denise, y'll wanna tell Israel 'bout yer eyes. I's still doan' quite get how they work."

'Cause she was still too stupid to read the documentation. Israel would understand better than she did.
The Raven
Posted: Jun 6 2010, 07:40 PM

Ghost

Member No.: 1,035

On Earth-That-Was, a lot of ordinary people made their homes, raised their families and worked their ordinary jobs in cities like Nashville and Las Vegas and Washington DC, but that didn't change the fact that when most people in the United States heard those names, the first things that came to mind were Country Music, Casino Gambling and National Government. Say "Sihnon" in the 'Verse, and the most common thing to pop into a listener's head, even if it's only there a moment, is the Companion's Guild.

The Guild doesn't dominate Sihnon as thoroughly as a similar presence would have dominated an old ETW city, seeing as how Sihnon is an entire world, and there are residents who live and die on Sihnon without ever seeing the Guild Temple outside of pictures or screen images, but in the thoughts of the 'Verse, Sihnon and Companions are almost as closely linked as Serenity Valley and war.

Another strong association people have with Sihnon is with the identity of The Core Worlds. Sihnon has a different character than the seat of political and economic power that is Londinium, but it is undeniably Core, and undeniably Alliance. The power of the Guild invites scrutiny by friend and foe alike, and by the Alliance, a power that remains, even in victory, jealous of other manifestations of power within its sphere of control. Wary of any power center where the ideas of independence could possibly take root. Wary of secrecy and of privelege that it hasn't directly granted. The Alliance doesn't oppose the Guild, but it watches, in case some day, that might change.

It is into this sphere of scrutiny that The Raven, a ship technically stolen from the Alliance, a ship that isn't supposed to be flying, with a crew that includes some of the 'Verse's most sought after fugitives, must slip in order to protect their own secrets as well as preventing a criminal conspiracy with implications of terrorist threat and possibly intercepting an agent of their enemy, who might lead them deeper into the enemy's heart.

Even with The Raven's stealth, developed by Alliance contracted military researchers, the main shipping routes into Sihnon from Beaumonde would be too much of a risk.The Raven arrived on Sihnon on a long, oblique course, their stealth slipping them past the eyes watching the Alliance's spiritual jewel to land in a sheltered place far from human presence. The ship sits in a wide mouthed cavern, undercut from a clifflike wall of rock, in a small clearing surrounded by forest.

A small waterfall runs and splashes down one side of the rock face, falling across part of the opening like a thin curtain, running off in a stream from a deep pool.

Birds sing and small animals chitter in the forest heavy air.

Even in the core there are places few ever see. Places removed from the centers of civilization. Secret places.

Here, one could look out and believe the 'Verse was at peace.

Until one looked back into the shadows, and saw the arms of war. The battlefield crow.

The Raven.

Topic OptionsPages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Big Damn User Legend
Admin | Moderator | Forum Moderator | Member | NPC | Guest
Proud Member Of:

Firefly Fansite WebRing
This Firefly WebRing Site
is owned by
The BDV Admin Team

Firefly Webring Navigation
[ Skip Prev | Prev 5 | List | Stats
Join | Rand | Next 5 | Skip Next ]