Welcome

Welcome to Beat to Quarters, a Play-by-Post Text Roleplay set in 1741. It's the Age of Sail, and also the Age of Piracy here in the West Indies. Will you fight for King and Country and uphold the law here at the edge of colonial civilization? Or will you pillage and plunder to your black heart's content? The wind's a-blowin' and the sea awaits, so prepare for adventure...

The Tale So Far

September, 1741:

Madre de Dios, a Spanish galleon loaded with gold, is on her way back to Europe with her convoy. But an ambush lies in wait for her in the Inaguas – the Sea Hound is planning a bold assault on the larger ship, her pirate crew willing to risk it all for gold and glory. But Sea Hound is both predator and prey, as the HMS Steadfast closes in for another encounter with her quarry. The deadly showdown between the three forces is fast approaching...

The Ship's Documents
Ye Olde Chatterbox

Officers on Deck
You may contact the staff through the private message link in their profiles.

Admins:
Liz
(Lei, Lioe)

Moderators:
Elena
(Ian, Nyell)

Ship Captains:
Jonathan Silas Thorne
Captain of the Steadfast
Rodrigo Sol Valera
Captain of the Sea Hound

Featured Seadog

Featured Player:
Liz
Daniel Hedge, Annette Williams

Liz's enthusiasm, dedication, and talent all make her an invaluable member of the BtQ community! Her recent character, Dr. Daniel Hedge has proved to be a fine addition to Steadfast's crew, and a source of brilliant posting. Her commitment to character development makes each of her posts a joy to read.
Congratulations!

Advertising

Rate us:

<

Credits
Side-bar © Roswenth

Base Skin by Adamo of the IFSZ

Board graphics and skin customizations by Lei and Lioe

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Beat to Quarters. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Death Whispered a Lullaby, <tag; Hedge; open>
NPC Ian
Posted: Jan 22 2011, 09:28 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 141

Swirling blackness, mixed intermittently with periods of intense brightness. John Isaac Glover sometimes felt as though he were falling, other times as though he were being crushed. Several times he thought he could discern voices, muffled and feint, as though he were hearing them through a wall.

The first time he regained consciousness it lasted only briefly. He had seen dark silhouettes hanging over him, speaking incoherently. The light behind them grew suddenly intense, Isaac winced in pain and he was out again. For what seemed like ages to him, Isaac simply dreamed. Mostly of home, but sometimes of things that were of a most horrifying nature, which he was unable to recall later on.

The first time he woke fully was after such a dream. He seemed to recall being chased perhaps, but even as he woke it had nearly all faded away from his mind. In reality he found himself engulfed in darkness, and drenched in sweat. It felt as though his insides were burning. He tried to move, but as he did his chest and stomach became racked with pain.

Isaac slumped back into his hammock, breathing heavily, despite the pain it caused him to do so. He soon came to realize how terribly thirsty he was, it felt as though he had a mouth full of sand. "H- Hello...", Isaac called out weakly into the darkness, "please, I need water." The effort it had taken Isaac just to say those few words had been incredible. He closed his eyes, as if just to rest them for a moment. When he opened them again, there seemed to be someone standing over him.
^
Marina Costa
Posted: Jan 22 2011, 01:27 PM

Able seaman, Steadfast

Member No.: 62

Marina had left the master's mate, now sound asleep - she was convinced that as a result of both medicine and prayers. Now it was time for another round by the side of the other beds, to see who needed what... Helping the wounded, in the extent of her possibilities, was something she enjoyed.

When she heard Isaac Glover asking for water, she hurried to the galley to bring some more of that tea, freshly made. Everybody in the sickbay had fever, higher or not so high, as a result of the wounds.

She came back and found him, eyes closed, in a sort of sleepy state, but not really sleeping since he could feel her presence.

"This is better than water for you now," she said when he opened his eyes again."Do you need my help to get up enough that you could drink it?"

--------------------
^
NPC Ian
Posted: Jan 22 2011, 04:58 PM

Better than water? Isaac sincerely doubted it. He really wanted some water. He recognized the face of the boy who insisted he needed something other than water, but he had no name to put to it. Still, his thirst was of such an intensity that he silently conceded with a nod of his head, allowing the boy to help him prop his head up.

The boy held the cup to Isaac's lips and he drank, if only for a second. Upon tasting the liquid, Isaac made a face like a child being forced to take castor oil, promptly spitting it out despite his thirst, and slumping back into his hammock. "For God's sake boy, I need water!" Isaac implored, the exertion of doing so causing him to wince in pain.

"If you'll give me no water then I'll be seein' someone of authority, and they'll clap roundly 'bout the ears boy, for denying a wounded man what 'e needs," Isaac said stubbornly, refusing to look at the boy, choosing instead to stare up at the ceiling. "I'd do it myself if I weren't in such a state," Isaac added with quiet remorse.

Isaac was trying to remember what had happened to him. He knew where he was, on the Steadfast, he remembered the pirate attack, he even remembered leading the charge onto the deck, after that though, it all became hazy. It felt almost like trying to remember a dream you'd had as a child, all these long years later.
^
Daniel Hedge
Posted: Jan 23 2011, 05:18 PM

Member No.: 152

"I think, Costa, that this might do better for the moment," Daniel came up behind the boy and replaced the mug of tea in his hands with a cup of water. "If you could give Glover the water in small sips, that would be very helpful. I will be sure to call on you again when he is in any condition to stomach your tea."

Daniel proceeded to set the mug down on a near-by table and began mopping up the spilled liquid with a semi-clean rag found on his belt. The young man certainly had the best of intentions, but he was indeed still young and, thus, have much to learn about the healing process.

As for the current patient, he had heard from Hendrik that Glover had been fighting a fever and hadn't come into consciousness yet. Obviously, that was not still the case. The rather burly man was speaking, that was good, and he was protesting something, that was better. If there was anything being a doctor had taught Daniel, in all his years, it was that a fighting man was not likely on death's doorstep quite yet.

Daniel's eyes traveled over the man's face as the boy attended to his thirst. His face was pale, but the slightest brush of pink alluded to the fever the man was fighting. That, along with the sweat, was to be expected. His lips were parched, but the water should do well to cure that in some time. Still, there was no sign of any blood spit up upon immediate inspection, that was good. After the man had had enough to drink, Daniel would begin to procedure to discover what, if anything, he could do for the man. Costa's tea would come after.

--------------------
"Men can die honorably for their country, but they cannot do so after giving their lives for something less honorable than that."

-Dr. Daniel Hedge
^
NPC Ian
Posted: Jan 29 2011, 04:54 PM

"Thank you kindly sir," Isaac said gratefully to the man whom he remembered as being one of Doctor Locke's mate's, though whose name he had never learned. Isaac drank greedily from the cup, now much less irritated by the boy who's name was apparently Costa. After he had finished drinking and Costa had moved on, Isaac spoke again.

"I don't reckon I'll ever be in any condition to stomach that tea," He said glibly, recalling the mate's earlier statement. He was feeling better now that he wasn't so parched. "Sorry sir, I can't say that I know your name, but well... how do you think I'm fairing?" Isaac didn't feel like he was going to die, but he didn't feel great either.
^
Daniel Hedge
Posted: Feb 2 2011, 07:12 PM

"I don't reckon I'll ever be in any condition to stomach that tea,"

A small smile tugged at the corner of Daniel's lips when he heard the man grumble about Costa's tea. He wasn't the first and he certainly would not be the last to do so today.

"Sorry sir, I can't say that I know your name, but well... how do you think I'm fairing?"

"Well, upon immediate inspection you are fighting a rather persistent fever, though I'm sure you already know that. You are also suffering from dehydration as well as..." Daniel came closer to the man's face and looked him directly in the eyes. By shading one eye after another with his hand, he watched the change in pupil size, "what appears to be a slight concussion. If you experience dizziness followed by a headache, that would be it. You have a bullet wound on your lower left side but it appears to have gone clean through; I will deal with it accordingly. Apart from that, some minor cuts and scratches on your person, but those can be taken care of.

As for my name, I am Doctor Hedge; at your service," he finished and began laying out some clean bandages to dress the cuts with as well as a small bottle of turpentine to fight off any possible infection. The fever would most likely break within a day or so for Glover was not as worse off as others in the sick bay, thankfully. As for the concussion, well that would run it's course. There wasn't much he could do right now except keep the man awake for observation.

Before dressing the wounds, however, Daniel filled another cup of water and handed it to Glover. "Please try to drink slowly this time. It will not do well for your health to gulp it down."

---
OOC: Just in case- Turpentine was used to fight all kinds of infections and one of the earlier times I could find it being used is in 1724 :-)

--------------------
"Men can die honorably for their country, but they cannot do so after giving their lives for something less honorable than that."

-Dr. Daniel Hedge
^
NPC Ian
Posted: Feb 4 2011, 04:08 PM

"Straight through..." Isaac repeated quietly, attempting to glance down at where the Doctor had said he'd been shot. Isaac thanked God for the good fortune that the bullet had failed to kill him, but couldn't help but feel a little wronged by the fact that the bullet had been allowed to hit him. Perhaps God had been dissatisfied by his recent behavior. No, that was all silly Isaac concluded. God had more important things to do than concern himself with the trajectory of bullets.

"A pleasure Doctor Hedge," Isaac said after Hedge had introduced himself, "names John Isaac Glover, though I s'pose you already knew that." Isaac couldn't be certain of course, but he suspected the Doctor was aware of his patient's names. So as not to risk being rude however, Isaac had gone ahead and introduced himself anyway.

""Please try to drink slowly this time. It will not do well for your health to gulp it down."

"I think I can manage that sir," Isaac replied, accepting the cup and taking small sips from it as Doctor Hedge had instructed him to. After several sips, a thought occurred to Isaac, one that he was almost ashamed of himself for not having thought about earlier. "The battle Doctor, what happened? That is, how did we fare sir?" Isaac wondered how many of his friends might have been wounded, or worse yet killed, whilst he lay unconscious on the deck.
^
Daniel Hedge
Posted: Feb 4 2011, 05:45 PM

"The battle Doctor, what happened? That is, how did we fare sir?"

Daniel stopped what he was doing a moment and looked thoughtfully off into space as he recalled the final count after the battle. Eight had been buried before the storm... and at least two or three more would most likely die soon due to health complications. That still made eight, though, as of late.

"As I recall four men did not survive the battle, four more passed afterward due to fatal wounds and a burial service was held accordingly before the storm hit. My apologies, but I'm afraid you will have to question another for the names of the men. I only know the names of my patients," he responded without looking at Glover. He already knew the sadness he would find in the man's eyes, that was the only thing he would find in the eyes of the sailors aboard for quite some time. The death of a friend rarely leaves in a hurry.

"Are you able to remove your shirt for me? I want to sterilize that bullet wound before infection sets in." On other ships, Daniel had been thought of as a detached man who never seemed to show either sympathy or empathy for those who had lost. This, however was not the case. Daniel felt the loss. But, as a doctor of limited means, he had been forced long ago to distance himself from tragedies that were out of his control. It was, at the very least, easier to sleep that way.

--------------------

-Dr. Daniel Hedge
^
NPC Ian
Posted: Feb 6 2011, 02:51 PM

Four and four, that makes eight. The thought caused Isaac a considerable amount of grief to be sure, all eight men had been his brothers in arms, but what Isaac had really wanted was names. Bereft of this information, Isaac was still forced to worry that some of those counted amongst the dead might have been close friends of his. At the very least they had come out victorious.

Isaac's thoughts concerning the dead were interrupted when the Doctor asked him if he could remove his shirt. Isaac nodded in compliance, though did not look forward to the sterilizing of the bullet wound, whatever that might entail. With some difficulty, Isaac managed to remove his shirt, the movements required to do so causing him pain.

As Doctor Hedge prepared to do his work, Isaac recalled something he had mentioned during his casualty report. He had mentioned a storm. Isaac certainly didn't remember any storm. Goodness, he must have slept through that too he thought. "How long was I out Doctor?" Isaac asked suddenly. He wondered if he'd missed anything else of importance.
^
Marina Costa
Posted: Feb 7 2011, 05:10 AM

Able seaman, Steadfast

Member No.: 62

Marina had expected the marine to make a grimace when tasting the bitterness of the tea, but she didn’t think he would actually spit it out, making a fuss for water and asking for “someone of authority”.

“You’d better drink it instead of water. I know it is bitter, but it will get your fever down and it is safer than water while at sea,” she started to explain him, but he wouldn’t listen. “You are spitting it out like a fussy baby, it isn’t admissible for a man your age!” she scolded him exactly how her mother used to do.

Strangely enough, but the new doctor, who had appeared from nowhere with a cup of water, seemed to agree with the wounded marine, asking her to give it to him in small sips.

“Yes, Sir!” she complied, patiently, without arguing with him, only throwing him a questioning sea-green glance.

After seeing a first effect, doctor Locke had always encouraged her to give her tea mixture to feverish or potentially feverish patients. And he was the one who had explained her that simple water was often less healthy to drink than grog, tea or ale. He actually recommended even healthy people to drink tea instead of water – of course, regular tea, not the one made of healing plants. But if this new doctor was in favour of water… well, he’d have to treat his patients, it was his responsibility, not hers, who tried her best.

After Isaac got his water, she left to check on Mr. Hardwick again. If the doctor was here with Isaac and the others, then she definitely wasn’t needed anymore, the ones who were alone and unattended for the moment being could need her.

--------------------
^
Daniel Hedge
Posted: Feb 11 2011, 04:45 PM

"Ah, yes, I hadn't thought that you may not have known about the storm. It's been about 3 days since the skirmish with the pirates. There was a tropical storm yesterday but I believe we caught the tail end of it as there was not much damage done to the ship," he said in response to Glover's question.

Now that the wound was exposed he could see that, while it had passed right through, it was a prime target for infection. It should have been seen to 3 days ago, but there were simply not enough hands to aid in helping the wounded. Daniel saturated a swab in the turpentine and made to place it on the opening in the flesh. As an afterthought, he remembered to warn Glover of what was coming.

"You may want something to bite on; this will hurt. A lot." He offered a leather throng to the unsteady looking man. No doubt the pain from the bullet was lost under the thoughts of whether or not his friends were still alive or what had gone on during the storm. The man had plenty to think about for sure, but Daniel was here to help the healing process along, not as a sympathy therapist.

--------------------

-Dr. Daniel Hedge
^
NPC Ian
Posted: Feb 13 2011, 08:58 PM

Three days wasn't so bad Isaac concluded. It seemed that all he had missed was the storm, which meant the fight with the "Sea Hound" was still to come. Isaac hoped he would be well enough to return to duty by then.

It would be no good to have rumors of cowardice floating about. Men tended to ignore truth in favor of sensationalism. If it was heard that a soldier had been absent from a battle because he been lying about in a cot, people would assume he was craven or lazy, no matter how legitimate that soldier's reasons may have been.

"You may want something to bite on; this will hurt. A lot." Doctor Hedge explained just as he was about to apply the swab he had prepared to Isaac's wound. Isaac's pride told him to deny the offer, but his common sense told him otherwise. Isaac nodded in acceptance and bit down on the throng offered by Doctor Hedge, inhaling deeply in preparation for the forthcoming pain.

When the Doctor did place the swab on the wound, Isaac could not help but groan in pain, squeezing his eyelids tightly shut. It was a terrible burning sensation, not so painful as breaking a bone, which Isaac had managed to do twice in his life, but enough to make hiss eyes water, albeit, involuntarily.

When it was done Isaac's muscles relaxed and he slumped back into the cot, taking the throng out of his mouth. "That wasn't so bad," he joked in a weak voice. He suspected Doctor Hedge knew better, but he still had his pride to look after.
^
Daniel Hedge
Posted: Feb 15 2011, 10:16 PM

Glover managed to joke about the pain that sterilization brought; albeit weakly but still, it was a good sign. Men who could joke would usually turn out alright. At this thought, Daniel allowed a small smile to turn his mouth upwards. All things considered, the 'Steadfast' hadn't lost nearly as many men in either the fight or in the sickbay afterward. It was a good sign!

Now that the wound had been cleaned Daniel began to bandage the opening and exit hole, the tunnel through the middle would heal on it's own.

"That is that. You should be back at work as soon as your fever has broken; and yes, that will require Costa's tea. As for the concussion and dehydration, a cup of water on every bell and I'd like if you stayed awake for the next two hours or so, then you may sleep." Daniel, like many doctors of his time, still did not completely understand exactly what happens in the head when a concussion occurs. However, he had seen many a man pass away after sleeping with one. This man had already gone unconscious for a considerable amount of time, some observation wouldn't hurt.

--------------------

-Dr. Daniel Hedge
^
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1722 seconds | Archive