Welcome

Welcome to Beat to Quarters, a Play-by-Post Text Roleplay set in 1741. It's the Age of Sail, and also the Age of Piracy here in the West Indies. Will you fight for King and Country and uphold the law here at the edge of colonial civilization? Or will you pillage and plunder to your black heart's content? The wind's a-blowin' and the sea awaits, so prepare for adventure...

The Tale So Far

September, 1741:

Madre de Dios, a Spanish galleon loaded with gold, is on her way back to Europe with her convoy. But an ambush lies in wait for her in the Inaguas – the Sea Hound is planning a bold assault on the larger ship, her pirate crew willing to risk it all for gold and glory. But Sea Hound is both predator and prey, as the HMS Steadfast closes in for another encounter with her quarry. The deadly showdown between the three forces is fast approaching...

The Ship's Documents
Ye Olde Chatterbox

Officers on Deck
You may contact the staff through the private message link in their profiles.

Admins:
Liz
(Lei, Lioe)

Moderators:
Elena
(Ian, Nyell)

Ship Captains:
Jonathan Silas Thorne
Captain of the Steadfast
Rodrigo Sol Valera
Captain of the Sea Hound

Featured Seadog

Featured Player:
Liz
Daniel Hedge, Annette Williams

Liz's enthusiasm, dedication, and talent all make her an invaluable member of the BtQ community! Her recent character, Dr. Daniel Hedge has proved to be a fine addition to Steadfast's crew, and a source of brilliant posting. Her commitment to character development makes each of her posts a joy to read.
Congratulations!

Advertising

Rate us:

<

Credits
Side-bar © Roswenth

Base Skin by Adamo of the IFSZ

Board graphics and skin customizations by Lei and Lioe

Create your own social network with a free forum.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Beat to Quarters. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (6) « First ... 4 5 [6]  ( Go to first unread post ) Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Behold A Pale Horse, a few hours after Gone To Ground; open
Christian Hardwick
Posted: Feb 16 2011, 09:30 AM

Master's mate

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

"You're good in both fields" he said to Costa quietly. "And I have to say, you've also got a talent with maps."

It seemed like an eternity since he had last taught the boy. Costa was always eager to learn, and he did any work with all his heart. They'd need more men like him, not only talented but enthusiastic.

The doctor agreed he could try to eat:

"Some broth and bread will do, if you can get it down. My apologies, Costa, if the cook is unhappy then he may take it up with me. Hardwick, try to sleep more after you've eaten; I'll be making rounds again shortly."

When they were left alone he smiled on Costa.

"I think the tea has some effect. It's a bit better now."

The pain was really softening, although he felt very weak, but at least he saw things a bit clearer.

--------------------
user posted image

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
^
Marina Costa
Posted: Feb 17 2011, 08:45 AM

Able seaman, Steadfast

Member No.: 62

The master’s mate tried to encourage her and praise her for her sailing talents, but she smiled rather skeptically at the maps part.

”Yes, some talent indeed, at mixing Cuba with Jamaica or what miscalculation had I done last time. But exactly this is my problem now – I feel I have more things to learn from you and Mr. Moore too, not only from the doctor,” she answered in a whisper.

Marina’s smile got wider when she heard that he was allowed to eat some broth and bread, and that the new doctor, as new as he was, already had a glimpse of Dickens’ attitude. This was a comfort, indeed!

“Thank you very much. I’ll go to bring some, and I’ll take care that he eats as much as he can, Doc. And if something is wrong here or in the next room, I’ll call you,” she stated her availability to keep an eye on the sick men.

She hurried to bring the broth, hoping that nothing bad would happen, as the doctor needed some sleep too. When she came back, she was happy to be told that he was feeling a bit better.

“You’ll feel even better after you eat a little, Sir! I am ready to help you with it…”

--------------------
^
Christian Hardwick
Posted: Feb 17 2011, 10:08 AM

Master's mate

"Don't worry, Costa, once there won't be so many wounded you'll have time to learn, even if you'd also be the surgeon's mate."

The lad brought him some food.

"You'll feel even better after you eat a little, Sir! I am ready to help you with it" he said.

"Thank you. Perhaps if I eat slowly I can manage it."

The broth was delicious, but anything would be delicious after not eating for so long. How long exactly? He had lost the count of time.

"Oh, this is so good!" he said between two spoons. "I think I'll risk the bread too."

After a while he said it was enough. He didn't dare to eat too much at first, it was good but he had to be careful.

"Thank you" he said finally. He knew he should sleep, and he was about to say goodbye, but he also wanted to say something, he just didn't dare. He caressed the cat who was now sleeping by his side.

"Costa..." he hesitated.

--------------------
user posted image

^
Marina Costa
Posted: Feb 19 2011, 07:01 PM

Able seaman, Steadfast

Mr. Hardwick was trying to convince her that she would be useful as a surgeon’s mate.

“If I have time to learn from you and Mr. Moore too, then I’d like the new position, I have always enjoyed learning new things.”

Marina helped him eating the broth and she was glad that he tried also some bread. When he finished eating, she took the bowl aside, intending to bring it as soon as possible back to the galley, but Mr. Hardwick seemed to have something more to tell her.

“Yes, Sir!” she answered. “I am here and I’ll remain with you until you fall asleep,” she assured him.

The half empty bowl could wait some more. This wasn’t important. He was.

--------------------
^
Christian Hardwick
Posted: Feb 20 2011, 06:41 AM

Master's mate

"Yes, Sir!" Costa answered. "I am here and I'll remain with you until you fall asleep," he assured him.

How could he tell the lad? Costa seemed to be the only one who didn't know the truth. He looked at him, thinking how he could put it in words.

"My cat..."

His eyes were pleading.

"Would you look after him if..."

--------------------
user posted image

^
Marina Costa
Posted: Feb 21 2011, 04:55 AM

Able seaman, Steadfast

Marina had been enough times around death to know that it was always a possibility for any wounded person, even if an unsaid one. She had been there with Sergeant Kennedy too, not so many weeks ago, praying for him and exchanging memories about far away Ireland.

Now, Mr. Hardwick was the one to suggest this prospect… and let her Mackie as inheritance?

”You know that I have fed him other times too, and that I have befriended him. So don’t worry, I’ll take care of Mackie until you recover your health,” she answered diplomatically. ”But you needn’t think of this, because you need all your hopes and good thoughts in order to let the body heal.”

If God wanted to heal, of course – but anyway, death shouldn’t be mentioned or called upon, because if the black lady with the scythe wanted to come, she would do it.

She focused her attention, next, on Mr. Moore, whose tea was now at the right temperature to be drunk:

”I can’t say it isn’t bitter, because it is, but it does good… and I’ll have a lump of sugar for you afterwards.”

--------------------
^
Graham Moore
Posted: Feb 28 2011, 08:33 AM

Sailing-master, Steadfast

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 93

Graham had been drifting in and out of sleep ever since Dr. Hedge had left him. His fever-addled mind confusing reality and dream, he thought he was back on the Barbary pirates' ship, still tied to and suspended from the lower yard of the main mast, had fallen asleep and would now be punished for it.

One of the pirates, a coarse, huge fellow, approached him with a piece of knotted rope and a sadistic smile, raised the rope and said, "...And I'll have a lump of sugar for you afterwards."

Graham jerked awake and stared at Costa confused and agitated for a moment, before the repugnant smell of the tea brought him back to the here and now. Realizing what exactly it was the lad wanted from him, he slumped back with a groan and sighed, "Dear god, Costa, you never give up, do you?"
^
Christian Hardwick
Posted: Feb 28 2011, 11:45 AM

Master's mate

"Thank you" he whispered, and when Costa stepped to Moore with the tea - poor man, he hated it more than anyone on board - he fell asleep.

He soon found himself in the woods, and they were certainly not tropical woods - it looked like England and the colorful leaves betrayed it was fall. He had almost forgotten the scent of the forest, and it was long ago when he last walked such a place.

Night was falling slowly and then the dream became fragmented, he was in a church, then aboard the ship. It was misty, cold and very silent - then he realized no one was on the deck, not even the helmsman, yet the ship seemed to know where she was going.

--------------------
user posted image

^
Marina Costa
Posted: Mar 1 2011, 04:03 PM

Able seaman, Steadfast

Marina didn’t know how to answer to Mr. Hardwick’s heartfelt thanks, so she touched his hand reassuringly before seeing the new, full tea pot. Fortunately for her, who had some other wounded men to attend as well – Mr. Moore being the first one – the master’s mate fell asleep.

At the sailing master’s protest, Marina smiled widely:

“Sir, I might give up on anything else, but when I know it’s for your good health, I don’t! Complaining about its bitterness is acceptable, as my mother, may she rest in peace, had taught me, but not taking it, isn’t. I promise sugar afterwards, and some water to wash the unpleasant taste.”

She gave him the cup, as he didn’t need any help to drink it, and she added:

“My mother used to say lots of things when my father or uncle complained about it. Starting with what doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger and ending with your mother had greater pains when she brought you to this world, however my approach is to highlight only that it is bitter, but healing. Do you need anything else?”

--------------------
^
Graham Moore
Posted: Mar 2 2011, 12:35 PM

Sailing-master, Steadfast

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 93

Pushing himself upright on one weak, trembling arm felt like a tremendous exertion to Graham as he finally accepted the cup of tea Costa offered him. His head swam and he did not trust his senses which kept blurring reality and dream into each other. One moment, it was the unmistakable figure of Costa standing next to his cot, the next, he thought he heard a woman speaking to him.

Concentrating on the words, Graham smiled weakly. "I guess mothers around the world say the same things when administering medicine. It's not really helpful, just serves to show you that it's no use to resist." He stared into the brownish liquid for a moment, then took a deep breath and downed it all in one go.

The tea was a lot more bitter than he remembered. Surprised, Graham made a face and forced himself to swallow instead of spitting it out again. Nevertheless, he declined the sugar and coughed "Just water, please." which he then gulped down as if his life depended on it.

Exhausted, he slumped back onto his cot and his mind no longer able to hold on to reality, he now saw his mother as he turned to Costa. Shaking his head in answer to the question whether he needed anything else, Graham murmured "Just sleep..." before sailing off into the sea of his dreams. The disputed fever tea had at least one beneficial effect: It allowed him to sleep in peace, unmolested by nightmares about pirates.
^
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (6) « First ... 4 5 [6]  Add ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1134 seconds | Archive