zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Alpha Zulu Games. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

The Dragon's Hoard
Alpha-Zulu Games
Posted: Dec 30 2003, 12:33 AM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

A long time ago I was refereeing a fantasy campaign. A dragon had ravaged the player characters' home village and then gone to ground in a nearby temple. The characters were all novices, but with the help of some NPC's they attacked and killed the beast.

The survivors got the idea to follow the (flightless) dragon's tracks back to its home. The players began speculating on what they might find when they got there and the word "hoard" began bouncing around. Everyone was onboard except for one player. He let himself get talked into the journey but grumbled and stalled along the way. This player often expressed his frustration in this manner and it began to chafe.

I'm not sure if it was a player or character level discussion that finally resolved the issue. The hesitant player was asked just what his problem was and finally blurted out that he didn't think it was such a hot idea to go in search of a dragon horde. "One dragon just about killed us all!"

I had to admit that the image of dragons filling the landscape like a buffalo herd was interesting. Still, the player was assured that dragons in that world were not known to congregate in hordes but were instead solitary creatures who liked to hoard treasure. He learned a valuable lesson about homonyms, the journey resumed, and we were able thereafter to direly warn each other about the danger of Dragon Hordes.

Kizig

--------------------
Mmm, gamey! Free RPGs
Alternacy and Mnemonic at
www.alphazulugames.com
Anemone
Posted: Oct 10 2004, 08:55 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 7

Heh. I LOVED that one -- that's right up there with the KoDT gazebo, except much better because it really happened.

I can't top it, but it reminded me of my old group, where the GM would, whenever the players dicked around too much, send in a wandering "random" ogre to shake thing up. For Christmas one year, we got him an ogre mini (we were poor students, so it actually WAS a present). We painted it for him, then re-wrapped it in its orginal, carefully saved plastic package, with a home-made counterfeit label identifying it as a Random Ogre. From then on, whenever we bogged down we were pursued by Random the Ogre, now much more powerful because he had become a named character. :-)>

It's also the same group where one of the players, named "Donald", was such a nerd that when we did our weekly communal trip to get munchies before the game, we started referring to the "Nerd" candies as "Donalds". Even Donald got in the habit of calling them that. HE might have flinched at the thought of a dragon horde. (But I bet nowadays Donald is making twice my salary and laughing maniacally at the rest of us.)

--------------------
--
Sophie
Alpha-Zulu Games
Posted: Nov 10 2004, 10:06 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Hey Anemone, welcome!

Our Dragon Horde guy was an interesting case. In fact, if I get to posting more I may wind up drawing on him for a good chunk of my anecdotes. The really intriguing thing about him was that he could mix up some bone-headed moves with some very good play. It was sometimes hard to tell them apart. He pulled stunts that, at the time, smacked of serious power-gamer problems but in some ways were forerunners of innovations the hobby would explore a few years later.

I don't think our old gaming groups ever got each other anything. Not that I'd want to be eligible for a miniature of my totally predictable player prod, but still...

-Kizig

--------------------
Mmm, gamey! Free RPGs
Alternacy and Mnemonic at
www.alphazulugames.com
« Next Oldest | The Gaming Life | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0366 seconds · Archive