Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Emerald Kingdom. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

The Way Of The Knight, Role-Playing for Dummies
KaiserKold
Posted: Feb 1 2008, 01:50 AM

Giant

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Role playing is actually very simple, but it has it's rules and regulations.

First, obviously you must create a character (character creation help in third Rules Topic). The character must be passed by a legitimate bio reviewer.

When you are in a thread that has role-playing going on inside it, if you want to post something that is not being said by your character but is meant as an aside by you yourself, please begin that section of your post with "OOC:". Then, if you want to continue on with something by your character, type "BIC": before your characters actions or words.

Obviously, the main majority of role-playing fun is in the combat. Combat is done on a chaotic turn based system here at our site. If you want your character "Frank" to attack character "Bill" with his sword, you would type what you are going to ATTEMPT to do. As in, "Frank lunged forward and took a precise swing at the ankles of Bill". You will not post again, until Bill has replied, such as, "Bill jumped up as fast as he could muster, barely escaping the cleaving steel".

Before I go any farther:

God Moding: NOT ALLOWED. Never will you say "Frank sliced his blade deep into Bill's shoulder", not giving him a chance to dodge or block, or to even respond in any way. You will aways attempt to do something, but it is up to the receiver if it is successful or not, or even the degree of it's success.

You may wonder "Hey! What's to keep everyone from dodging everyone else's attacks!?" Well that brings me to big-no-no number two.

God Dodging: If Frank finds himself in a situation where Charlie's pistol is pressed against his chest and Charlie pulls the trigger, there is no way in hell you are going to dodge it. Also, if you dodge every single attack that is thrown at you in a long fight, you will be called on it!

Of course, this doesn't mean that you have to take every blow that comes your way. You can even meet them half way and say that it was partially successful. For example: "Frank swung wildly at Bill's feet." "Bill jumped over the sword but the blade still caught the edge of his foot, cutting a tendon." Bill escaped losing both of his feet, but Frank's attack wasn't all for nothing.

Speaking of taking damage. At the end of every arena battle, characters are automatically healed of all wounds and brought back from the dead if necessary, unless it is planned to be a death match.

If you are out in the woods and you are shot in the leg by an arrow, you can attempt to heal it yourself, if your character knows anything about medicine, or you can visit a healer (there will be one in every town, along with other major shops and stuff [p.s.- we don't really have any towns at the time of this writing, but I plan to create a rich and interesting world that would be fun to Role-play in.]). If you get shot in the leg in one fight, and you don't get it healed, it should still be there if you get into another fight. Same goes for travel. Fast traveling is encouraged, but if you are doing a big story adventure, and your character has to go off into the east and get Item A and bring it back and while your gone, your party moves a couple miles away and gets in a fight. Don't magically teleport back to them. Try to make it somewhat realistic.

But of course, there will be fights or missions that no one really wants to complete because of boredom or some other reason, and the topic just kind of fades away, as long as it is actually dead and other characters don't want to finish it, feel free to just begin again wherever someone makes a new thread.

Also, as of this writing, there is no REAL currency system. So money will be treated kind of unofficially. Being super rich will be considered a strength in you bio though.

If your character dies, he will be resurrected after 7 days. You will never actually lose a character for good, unless you want to.

Also, try to make your posts as interesting and full as you can. Don't write: "Bill starts to attack Frank" and submit it. Try to give some feeling and life to your posts. Make them fun to read. Try something like this instead: "Bill looked menacingly at Frank, making an unkind hand gesture at him. Then, with a primal yell, Bill lunged at Frank and made a downward swipe at Frank's chest."

This section may be updated in the future!
Posted: Feb 1 2008, 07:37 AM

Unregistered

I think we should make the character just be able to use his dead character in three days:

for ex the person should have to create a topic on how he comes back to life or He did some Objective that forced him back into the real world, thats just my opinion, I just dont think people should be allowed to use there dead character and talk to their commrade in three days, they should make a story or something along those lines
KaiserKold
Posted: Feb 1 2008, 07:47 AM

Giant

Sign in, whoever that was.

That's fine, but I don't want it to be hard or annoying for them.

I was actually considering extending to seven days.

As long as the character comes back eventually, it sounds like a good incentive NOT to die, but at the same time, it's not like the RP site where you lose the character and have to bio review another one.
Lord Hoehn
Posted: Feb 1 2008, 07:49 AM

Lord of the leprechauns

Member No.: 1

Agreed, and its me, Lord Hoehn
The Rogue King
Posted: Feb 2 2008, 07:23 PM

Outcast Ruler

Member No.: 4

I can deal with that as long as people die
Lord Hoehn
Posted: Sep 24 2008, 06:59 PM

Lord of the leprechauns

Member No.: 1

U know even without god dodgeing it is still impossible to die, I think we should do more stories and not just, Two characters randomly meet each other and then they kill somehting then by thats it. Lets put more thought into everything and not just combat
KaiserKold
Posted: Sep 24 2008, 07:24 PM

Giant

Well, that was the point of my Bane of Artiim guy. It gives us a something to do and a chance of actual danger
« Next Oldest | Rules | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0716 seconds | Archive