Search "13th Labour":

Powered by OhNoRobot.com

Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to 13thlabour. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Great Page About Writing
Joey
Posted: Apr 3 2006, 06:08 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 4

No B.S, just writing tips. Mostly for screenplays but good for web comics too.

http://www.online-communicator.com/mistakes.html

I think it'll help!
limmortal
Posted: Apr 6 2006, 05:37 PM

Emu Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I need to practise what I'm dealing with now, not try to add more things to pay attention to. Otherwise it'll be a mess. (More of a mess.) And I'll never update. (Also very different from the current state of affairs.)
Joey
Posted: Apr 10 2006, 06:50 PM

After this story it may be time to start it all over again. YOu need something fresh and dynamic. Somehting NEW, but without introducing new characters. THe idea I gave you I think would work. ANd don'tsay "It's too big and we need a year" blah blah blah.

THe main problem with your writing is THAT you're making us wait. THe biggest ideas are coming to slowly. If you don't DELIVER it doesn't matter how good the rest of it is. It's like going through a five course meal and every time you get a new course someone steals your favorite part of each one. Understand?

You should start with a MAJOR fork in the road and by the end of the current story, at least one character should be diffrent, more like who they are INSIDE or else LESS. They should be better or worse. And since this is comedy, go for worse most of the time.

No offense, but your stories drag because there's a lack of DESIRE from the characters and I don't mean just wanting a pet. If the person wants a pet they need to NEED the pet and their life should revolve ONLY around that pet for that storyline. Stories where people aren't willing to DIE, lose EVERYTHING and be DESTROYED for what they want aren't that interesting.

And DON'T MAKE US WAIT FOR YOUR BEST STORIES. GIVE US YOUR BEST IDEAS. Of course we can't know everything to early, but we need to be given your best FIRST otherwise why wade through everything else. Also by giving us your best stories, your writing will improve.

And MORE DOOLEY. Explore WHY he's in the closet, and not just because his parents are religious fanatics. A lot of openly gay people have religious fanatics as parents, explore what in Dooley's personaility makes him obidiant.

And remember...drama is subtle, comedy is not.

That's my 0.02 for the moment.
limmortal
Posted: Apr 13 2006, 12:48 AM

Emu Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I'm thinking over what you say. Trying to come up with a practical way of applying it. (Pretend I like math and any quantifiable aspect would be useful. Include the fact that I'm depressed and unlikely to do anything, really, until I get a cat. Old one is better. New one will probably work, but won't happen until October, if then.)

This is what I THINK I've been doing.

We have a little bit of understanding about how peoples' minds work. We saw the status quo for Uri, Jordan, Sybil, and Harold. I've dropped a lot of hints that no one's going to get unless they're interested enough to reread after I've revealed the mystery that no one know was mysterious, and tangled myself in way too many characters and made a bunch of assumptions about comics that I'm going to have to completely refigure.

Basically, you are saying that I'm not moving quickly enough (it's not a complaint about not updating, although I think a little of that is also hidden in there).

I promise there is a major change coming at the end of the story. I'll even give you a chance to argue me around to making it more major. Although, characterwise, I'm not sure anything will change. Maybe I should have Andrei start feeding Jordan knockout pills. It would probably be good for her.

I'm taking your Dooley comment as a fan request, and putting it on my backburner. Dooley is primarily a Florence and Vivian storyline character - the one who got away.

Maybe I shouldn't try to do comedy. Have you ever read any of my old stuff?

So, what I'm getting: some people want story, some want no story, some want the story over in a week or a month; some want greater humor, some think I'm trying too hard, some think it's abosolutely hysterical because they know where I'm coming from (these people are in the minority); most people agree I need to flesh out the characters more, but there's a disagreement on how much is showing and how much is telling. Flashbacks are bad, flashbacks are good, flashbacks are a necessary evil, anyone who uses flashbacks is sloppy and not making best use of the genre.

Couple of comics I'm reading, and probably reading too much into, but teach about this process:

http://www.bmoviecomic.com/index.html
http://hownottorunacomic.comicgenesis.com/

So, you want more bangs. Story move forward. Forget everything I know about nineteenth-century novels, because I am not writing a novel. On the other hand, neither am I making a movie.

I'll finish up what I'm in now (hopefully soon), but recreate a couple of things I am working on to make them more obvious, less subtle - and maybe shorter, or accept more strips to get everything across. And test the script out on someone before I start drawing.

A checklist might be nice. Put everything into a few words, a straight list, no arguments, just verify the existence of such and move on. I think I'll use a shorter version of http://www.crayne.com/howcrit.html. Shorter because a. I'm lazy, and b. I'll do better at the few things I'm working on if I'm not trying to pay attention to everything else, and c. I have to add a checklist for the artwork, too: http://www.brigantine.atlnet.org/Gigapalet...nalysisMain.htm.
Joey
Posted: Apr 25 2006, 01:31 PM

The greatest movie ever made in many peoples minds is CItizen Kane-ALL flasback.

Nothing is "good" or "bad" it jsut either works or doesn't.

If a character doesn't want something who cares about the character?

Anyway, while your depressed is the best time to write. I think you should push foward, to help yourself feel better.
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0246 seconds · Archive